PDA

View Full Version : Techs that are/aren't Wing Chun

tbone
11-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Is a jab a technique of your Wing Chun?

Todai
11-16-2006, 08:43 AM
It would depend on your definition of 'jab'. If you define it narrowly as a boxing style jab, then no that is not a ving tsun technique. If you are calling any short range straight punch a jab, then you could argue that ving tsun's vertical punch falls into that category.

Even with a no answer that is not to say that a boxing style jab shouldnt be something you use. In my own practice i enjoy seeing what other styles and especially those without any specific martial arts style are doing, and finding the ving tsun in their technique.

tbone
11-16-2006, 09:08 AM
It would depend on your definition of 'jab'. If you define it narrowly as a boxing style jab, then no that is not a ving tsun technique. If you are calling any short range straight punch a jab, then you could argue that ving tsun's vertical punch falls into that category.I knew that would be asked but I left that open to interpretation on purpose. I'm trying to see what others think their Wing Chun is/isn't limited too. Thanks for the response.

tbone
11-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Let me follow up with a question... what are the different arm strikes (I'll get to legs later) in your Wing Chun?

couch
11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Let me follow up with a question... what are the different arm strikes (I'll get to legs later) in your Wing Chun?

1. Straight (Vertical) punch
2. Palms (Straight and Side)
3. Fak Sau
4. Man Sau from Biu Jee
5. Returning Hook/Ginger Fist from Biu Jee
6. Elbows
7. Shoulders

I think that's about it. :)

Guess I'm one of those limited guys. LOL

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

hunt1
11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
The jab is in everyones wing chun . Its right there in the pole form. Its not against the rules to perform the weapon forms empty handed and to take what you learn from the weapons and use the concept with empty hands.

YongChun
11-16-2006, 12:15 PM
1. Straight punch – Siu Lim Tao
2. Uppercut – Chum Kiu
3. Hook – Bill Jee
4. All kinds of palm hits – Siu Lim Tao
5. Chops horizontal, diagonal etc. – Siu Lim Tao
6. Many kinds of elbows – vertical, diagonal, horizontal, backwards, downwards etc.
7. Shoulder attack
8. Thumb attacks to the eye, claw attack
9. Finger pokes – Siu Lim Tao
10. Back of the wrist hits – upwards, forwards etc. (Tie Sau)
11. Head butt – remember the Prodical Son movie – the guy said as long as you hit your opponent. It fits in with the idea of a centerline strike although it compromises te posture somewhat.
12. Front heel kick
13. Side kick
14. Cross stamping kick
15. Kick through the heart
16. Round kick which mimics the elbow use
17. Knee attack
18. Various locks and arm breaks – can train that out of Lap sau
19. “Whap” the ears
20. Sweeps and trips of all sorts
21. Spitting in the guys face for distraction and various other street tactics including biting

It't very easy to add any kind of striking, clawing , Mantis strikes to Wing Chun for fun (not really required though - but fun in practice to learn defence).

It's not easy to add other things like Capoeira attacks because that requires a different kind of athleticisim.

Gary Lam's subset of techniques that he shows on his website would probably suffice for 99% of the time.

The answer to the question though is just to look at all the movements in each form that you do for the basic ideas. But the forms are like concepts and the physical movements are just the simplest way to express those concepts so there may be all kinds of strikes that still follow the Wing Chun guidelines. Then again one concept is that as long as you hit the guy before he hits you, that's all that matters.

Ray

tbone
11-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys.

I thought as much.

Vajramusti
11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Too many!! So many!!

Combinations and variations of 8 families of punches, palms, elbows, fingers
and atleast 3 families of shoulders- and more. All wing chun.

couch
11-16-2006, 04:42 PM
1. Straight punch – Siu Lim Tao
2. Uppercut – Chum Kiu
3. Hook – Bill Jee
4. All kinds of palm hits – Siu Lim Tao
5. Chops horizontal, diagonal etc. – Siu Lim Tao
6. Many kinds of elbows – vertical, diagonal, horizontal, backwards, downwards etc.
7. Shoulder attack
8. Thumb attacks to the eye, claw attack
9. Finger pokes – Siu Lim Tao
10. Back of the wrist hits – upwards, forwards etc. (Tie Sau)
11. Head butt – remember the Prodical Son movie – the guy said as long as you hit your opponent. It fits in with the idea of a centerline strike although it compromises te posture somewhat.
12. Front heel kick
13. Side kick
14. Cross stamping kick
15. Kick through the heart
16. Round kick which mimics the elbow use
17. Knee attack
18. Various locks and arm breaks – can train that out of Lap sau
19. “Whap” the ears
20. Sweeps and trips of all sorts
21. Spitting in the guys face for distraction and various other street tactics including biting

It't very easy to add any kind of striking, clawing , Mantis strikes to Wing Chun for fun (not really required though - but fun in practice to learn defence).

It's not easy to add other things like Capoeira attacks because that requires a different kind of athleticisim.

Gary Lam's subset of techniques that he shows on his website would probably suffice for 99% of the time.

The answer to the question though is just to look at all the movements in each form that you do for the basic ideas. But the forms are like concepts and the physical movements are just the simplest way to express those concepts so there may be all kinds of strikes that still follow the Wing Chun guidelines. Then again one concept is that as long as you hit the guy before he hits you, that's all that matters.

Ray

Yah. Kinda what I was going for, however...your list is a little more comprehensive than mine!!!

Thanks for sharing Ray.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

Wu Wei Wu
11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
It is 'good' Wing Chun to do whatever it takes to finish an attack. Your opponent generally dictates how you attack him. If you can end it with a punch, do so. If it must end with a bite, then bite. If you need to use a weapon, do so. This is all within the scope of what Wing Chun teaches.

IMO, there is no limitation on types of strikes. However, if one wants to categorize (and limit) movements, then one would refer to the forms for basic guidelines.

ZenGuy
11-22-2006, 08:58 AM
seein as w/c is performed bare knuckle a jab isnt needed in the same respect, muay thai for instance dusnt call it a jab (ie to set up for nxt strke) they call it a straight left (thats purpose) is to do damage.

you could call chain punches a seris of powerfull jabs with intent to damage?

couch
11-22-2006, 12:00 PM
you could call chain punches a seris of powerfull jabs with intent to damage?

Perhaps, but I see the chain punch as an exercise and a concept. I teaches hand replacement therapy and shows the line of attack. A basic beginner concept that is very important.

There are so many fun tools (even in my limited vocabulary) in WC...why just Chain Punch? ;)

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

Fuzzly
11-26-2006, 08:48 PM
"Let me follow up with a question... what are the different arm strikes (I'll get to legs later) in your Wing Chun?"

Whatever works at the time.

ZenGuy
11-28-2006, 06:50 AM
"Let me follow up with a question... what are the different arm strikes (I'll get to legs later) in your Wing Chun?"

Whatever works at the time.

basic 4 punches (vertical, low, hook like doi gok kuen and uppercut like jon lo kuen) and palms (palms for hard skull)
chop and hammerfist when appropreate.
5 elbows

bue gee thump to eye palm lol :eek: