PDA

View Full Version : strap on leg/arm weights ???

golden arhat
11-16-2006, 11:37 AM
are they any good ?
how expensive are they
and can u make them ?

CLFLPstudent
11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Be careful!

I used hand weights ( 2 lbers) that I bought ( neoprene with velcro fasteners) during cardio classes and after a few weeks felt something akin to really bad tennis elbow. A really bad burning sensation in my right elbow/forearm. It took a few months for it to go away ( after I stopped using the hand weights) and is better now, but I am pretty sure it was from the hand weights.

I'm not sure how much they cost - but they were specifically for aerobic workouts so I don't think I was using them incorrectly.

-David

CLFNole
11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
My sifu, myself and some of my kung fu brothers use them to mix up our training. The thing with using weights is that you need to be careful not to go too fast and over extend. Go a bit slower and don't lock out the arms or legs completely when kicking and punching. The key is to stay in control. I would only recommend using them when practicing sets versus bagwork as it is not conducive for that.

David Jamieson
11-16-2006, 12:08 PM
I agree, be careful.

Any exercises that use devices require that you get instruction in the pitfalls of their use and the correct use of the device.

bad lifting is not beneficial and can lead to a lot of malady.

make sure you get some proper guidance and avoid cheap advice or happenstance advice of "try this" or"try that".

before undergoing any vigorous routine of exercise, consult your physician to ensure that youare able to do so and can maintain doing so.

Royal Dragon
11-16-2006, 12:15 PM
LOL!! I used to drill Side Kicks with 15 pound ankle weigths...til I got board going slow, and kicked so hard the velcro ripped right off the weight, sending it flying into Thresa's ceramic pottery!!

I killed the ceramic pot, and severly injured the plant she had growing in it.

I was cut of for days!! Thank God she was a nympho, and could not handle witholding for too long!!

golden arhat
11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
in most countries
royal dragon would be referred to as

nuts

what about just wearing them casually
walking around wouldnt that just force your bidy ti get stronger ?

viper
11-16-2006, 06:37 PM
This might sound crazy but i wear them to bed I was given some information that the body moves over 200 times a night so I thought hey and wear them to bed woke up like having a awesome workout at the gym I didnt and dont do it every night like 1-2 a week at most.

racerX
11-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I use them once a week 3 to 4 hrs,do concentracted kicks,slow sets ,lunges,great results.

golden arhat
11-17-2006, 05:31 AM
so where can u get them ?
any particular type of store
any good uk based web sites ?

racerX
11-17-2006, 06:56 AM
try www.everlast.com look under training/weights.:)

bodhitree
11-17-2006, 08:07 AM
www.martialartsmart.com

Wong Ying Home
11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
all teh advice given so far is very good, may Ialso suggest avoiding loose packed weights expecially with sand, the kinetic energy still travels a little in the sand even though your punch kick may have stopped ....bad for joints

Reebok do a very good componud runnber set of wrist, ankle, hand and body vest weights, under the brand or Iron Wear, they are expensive but use the wet suit material neoprene to house the rubber weight in. Very comfortable and allows for a good secure fit.

I use the whole range of Iron wear, and find it excellent...my legs grew massivly through use of the iron vest, stance work ...hee hee is now fun to do with out the vest on:D

racerX
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
love the weight vest it is a great way to train stances,take it off and do some sets it feels like your flying.light body technique?

dougadam
11-18-2006, 12:07 PM
I use a dumbell when I do my punch training. And I feel it helps a great deal.