PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose Beginner Video of William Cheung

derio
11-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi, does someone here have Video of William Cheung and can help me to choose for a Total beginer which one of this video are the best ?

Wing Chun Kung Fu, Vol 1 by William M. Cheung http://www.amazon.com/Wing-Chun-Kung-William-Cheung/dp/B0001FFJQE/sr=11-1/qid=1163782653/ref=sr_11_1/102-4061678-2149763

Or from his web site i selected 4, which one is best for begin ?

"Cheung Style Forms" or "The Wing Chun Way" Vol I or "Chi Sao Revealed" or "Wing Chun Basics Seminar" from his web site here http://www.cheungswingchun.com/c/3277/1/videos-dvds.html

Thank's :)

Ultimatewingchun
11-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I have all of them. Go with the first one....Volume 1....if you're a total beginner.

Chum Kil
11-17-2006, 02:25 PM
A few years back I was told that the current selection of vids are no where as good as the tapes that were available back in the early - mid 80s or so. Even the training/sash levels are not what they use to be. I have a couple of tapes from around 83 - 84 seminar and training tape. If you can get your hands on these, do it.

derio
11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I have all of them. Go with the first one....Volume 1....if you're a total beginner.

I'll follow you advice so Ultimatewingchun ;)

As you have them can you tell about the "Wing Chun Basics Seminar" Video, i had a doubt to select it because it's a Seminar and i wonder if quality of footage is good enough (i need camera focused on detail to learn the begining) is it a footage made by a amateur shot where you just see him away and almost ear what he said or something more profesional and then more easy to understand for me ?

If you can describe me in 2 words each of the 4 others Video i mentioned that will help me for later

BTW i don't know if there is a bug on his web site but for international shipping the price is around 250 $ :o

Thank's

derio
11-17-2006, 03:56 PM
A few years back I was told that the current selection of vids are no where as good as the tapes that were available back in the early - mid 80s or so. Even the training/sash levels are not what they use to be. I have a couple of tapes from around 83 - 84 seminar and training tape. If you can get your hands on these, do it.

Do you have the titles ? maybe i can find them on eBay :rolleyes:

Thank's

Ultimatewingchun
11-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Definitely not $250. for shipping. If you go back to the first link that you listed within your first post on this thread - you'll see that VOLUME 1 is not a seminar - but was filmed at Black Belt Studios. I'll answer you're other questions on my next post.

Chum Kil
11-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Here are the titles:

Wing Chun Eugene 1983 (Includes GM Cheung seminar, my sifu is in it, that's why I got it, lots of good instruction)

Tao of Wing Chun Vol 1 (Includes Shil Lum Tao, Chum Kil, Bil Jee, Wooden Dummy, Wooden Dummy apps, Chum Kil apps, I think Bil Jee apps, Defenses, I believe some Chi Sao and apps. Their might be some other things on there, it's been awhile since I've seen it.

You might find these some where, but most likely from a earlier sifu that still has them in his possension.

derio
11-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Definitely not $250. for shipping. If you go back to the first link that you listed within your first post on this thread - you'll see that VOLUME 1 is not a seminar - but was filmed at Black Belt Studios. I'll answer you're other questions on my next post.

No the seminar i talked about is the Video named "Wing Chun Basics Seminar" which is on sale on his web site , look here http://www.cheungswingchun.com/p/12630/wing-chun-basics-seminar.html

Yea i hope shipping is not 250 $ :eek: , i sent a e-mail to him since yesterday about that and i'll wait to see if they correct the price of shipping

I look forward you reply about others Video :)

Thank's

Ultimatewingchun
11-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Derio:

I would go with the Wing Chun Volume 1 video - and not the Wing Chun basics seminar. Although I have countless seminar videos at home (none of which were ever for sale to the general public outside of seminar attendees)...I've never seen the "basics seminar" you refer to per se. It could be anything - made anytime, anywhere, I don't know.

But I do know what's on the 5 volume set - as I have all of them. If you're a complete beginner and want to get a real introduction to Willam Cheung's TWC system - then the Wing Chun Volume 1 video (made at Black Belt studios) is what I recommend. And the video quality is excellent.

I'll tell you what's on it.

1) A complete demonstration and explanation of the Sil Lim Tao form and it's main principles.

2) A demonstration and some application of some of the basic blocks in the form: pak sao and counter punches, (along with some punching drills)...tan sao and counter punching - including an explanation and demo of both the centerline AND the centraline principles which are so important to much of the TWC system - coordinated with some footwork...as well as bil sao and bil sao/lop sao explanations and some applicable footwork.

3) Defenses against attacks by an opponent who steps in with a straight lead hand punch...a head high round punch....a low round punch...a straight rear front kick...a jab followed by a spinning backfist, etc.

4) all of the above demonstrated with corresponding footwork and followup techniques - with a big emphasis on the TWC blindside strategy (wherein you are trying to position yourself such that his other hand is out of play)...emphasis on controlling the opponent's elbow (of the hand he tried to strike with)...

5) All the basic TWC footwork including the full sidestep.

6) Some kicking and arm combinations (bils sao and kick...pak sao and kick...lop and kick, etc.

7) Chum Kil form and some combat applications.

derio
11-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Thank's Ultimatewingchun for this clear reply :cool:

I'll first buy the DVD Wing Chun Kung Fu Vol 1 like you said so

Apart for the seminar which you don't recommend what do you think of the others video i mentioned from William Cheung web site ? ("Cheung Style Forms" , "The Wing Chun Way Vol I" and "Chi Sao Revealed") ?

Thank's again ;)

derio
11-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Thank's Ultimatewingchun for this clear reply :cool:

I'll first buy the DVD Wing Chun Kung Fu Vol 1 like you said so

Apart for the seminar which you don't recommend what do you think of the others video i mentioned from William Cheung web site ? ("Cheung Style Forms" , "The Wing Chun Way Vol I" and "Chi Sao Revealed") ?

Thank's again ;)

Don't know if i even should still ask details about DVD from www.cheungswingchun.com as after sent 2 e-mail i got 2 "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" after 2 or 3 days each time, so the 200$ for international shipping if it's a bug he cannot be corrected as we cannot contact www.cheungswingchun.com by e-mail :o

ChangHFY
11-28-2006, 05:01 PM
I just wanted to say its great that you chose an expression of Wing Chun to follow.
Grandmaster Cheung is definately an awesome Martial artist.

Good luck with training.

take care,
zach

derio
12-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Hi, i received today the DVD Wing Chun by William Cheung Vol 1 , it's a well done DVD but start directly with Sil Lim Tao form, hard for a total beginner to learn a tao without first know different part of the tao, i think i need a DVD who first show in Detail the stance, then basic arm movement ( Tan Sao, Fook Sao etc...)

I know there is Lot of Wing Chun DVD out there but as i want to learn William Cheung lineage style i don't know which DVD Wing Chun folow this lineage/style or no, any recomendation ?

Thank's ;)

Snake n Crane
12-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Sadly this is why video's can never substitute for one on one tuition.

I agree with Chum Kil, try and source the early 80's videos of ebay or something. The new video's are less complex and not as good as the older ones.

Good luck and happy Chunning.........

derio
12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
I agree with Chum Kil, try and source the early 80's videos of ebay or something. The new video's are less complex and not as good as the older ones.

Maybe it's the right place to ask if somebody here have some of those old Cheung VHS to have a copy ? eBay don't seem to by the place to find them :o