PDA

View Full Version : James Cama Honored at the CFM 50t Anniversary Dinner

Sam
11-18-2006, 08:55 AM
James Cama Sifu was honored at the 50th Anniversary dinner for the CFM. The elders congradulated him on his appointment. Cama Sifu's picture was displayed in the 50th Anniversary booklet with him seated with Master Ling Bok and Cama Sifu's students. The caption was, Sifu James Cama is the current instuctor for the club (Chinese Free Masons). His sifu is Robert Lee who is a disiple of Grandmaster Lam Sang for more than a decade. James Cama is also versed in Wing Chun. The club is very excited about James Cama and his diciples teaching at our club, explaining the details and intricacies of Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai.
In the tradition of Grandmaster Lam sang, the club has had many head instuctors after Lam Sang. It is here where I want to extend my appreciation and gratitude to the following Sifu's: Norman Chin, Dougie Chin and the club's latest instuctor, James Cama.

MattEl
11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Anyone know if the CFM has a Web site?

Sam
11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Hello MattEl,
Here is their web site: www.cfmac.org
Sam

gabe
11-28-2006, 07:21 AM
I thought James Caama was Futsao Wing Chun disciple under Grandmaster Leung. Did I get that wrong? Unless he's a disciple under multiple lineages? Traditionally speaking, how does that work? And did he then combine wing chun and mantis to make a hybrid?

TenTigers
11-28-2006, 09:20 AM
does that site have any more pages? All I get is a title page.

MattEl
11-28-2006, 11:19 AM
That site doesn't work.

nyhakka
11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
I thought James Caama was Futsao Wing Chun disciple under Grandmaster Leung. Did I get that wrong? Unless he's a disciple under multiple lineages? Traditionally speaking, how does that work? And did he then combine wing chun and mantis to make a hybrid?

Sifu Cama took up Mantis after Henry Leung retired from sickness. He doesn't combine the two style.

gabe
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Sifu Cama took up Mantis after Henry Leung retired from sickness. He doesn't combine the two style.

He bai si'd to two different people? His site says he is the lineage holder of Fut Sao Wing Chun. Now he is also the lineage holder of Jook Lum Mantis as well? And his two masters are ok with that? Bai si is no joke. Many of the hardcore traditional masters would not take kindly to that. Or the purists either. That's ok, I'm not either one:o . And most can't call themselves purists anyway.:cool:

You say he doesn't combine the two. With that kind of investment, how could he not? I thought some of his stuff looked more like mantis than wing chun even though he called it fut sao. At first I thought it was really strange wing chun but now I understand.

DRleungjan
11-29-2006, 10:51 PM
James Cama Honored at the CFM 50t Anniversary Dinner

Heeey Sam, nice news indeed. :)

My take is this on what gabe posted above: Wing Chun is Wing Chun and Mantis is Mantis. These are two separate arts with different views toward the same goal so to speak. However, do these arts share things in common? Suuure they do...so do other southern arts. So why would it be strange to find elements of Mantis in Wing Chun or Vice versa?

I'd tell you this...it I hadn't found Wing Chun...Mantis would have been my art of choice to learn. :)

Regards
DRleungjan

nyhakka
11-29-2006, 11:55 PM
He bai si'd to two different people? His site says he is the lineage holder of Fut Sao Wing Chun. Now he is also the lineage holder of Jook Lum Mantis as well? And his two masters are ok with that? Bai si is no joke. Many of the hardcore traditional masters would not take kindly to that. Or the purists either. That's ok, I'm not either one:o . And most can't call themselves purists anyway.:cool:

You say he doesn't combine the two. With that kind of investment, how could he not? I thought some of his stuff looked more like mantis than wing chun even though he called it fut sao. At first I thought it was really strange wing chun but now I understand.

Actually he had Henry's blessing to train in the Mantis. and when first speaking with his Mantis instructor he informed him of his WC lineage. Obviously since it was his SPM sifu's recommendation that got him the teaching gig it must've been ok with him. Also, the Fut Sau WC does look more like Hakka than HK WC, but that is not Sifu Cama's fault. FSWC has an additional form that HKWC doesn't. Also the postures are slightly different. And for the record I speak on it because I trained with Henry Leung years ago and knew the man fairly well.