PDA

View Full Version : west and wewaxation at wast!

TenTigers
11-19-2006, 07:51 PM
well, I only have one weekend to hunt. So, I go to this preserve in upstate NY which I have hunted on for several years-unsuccessfully. I keep going back, however,...cause I'm stupid. No, actually, because there are many deer taken from this place, and it's simply a matter of time and skill.
After getting really lost in NJ I finally made my way to New Paltz. I had plenty of time to register,book my moter-Super 8 Motor Lodge-68.00 per day!!!! Free coffee,orange juice, and bagles and rolls, and cable TV! nice. I went to the diner, had a turkey dinner, bought a bottle of Port, and went to see the new Bond movie-which was great. After the movie, I settled in, lit up an Ashton Churchill, and poured myself a nice glass of Port.
Well, I got to a spot which was situated between two "runs" and I saw a nice buck, but there were too many trees in the way, and then his back was to me. They also had a restriction that you can only shoot bucks with five points (prongs on the antlers-3 on one side three on the other are five, three and three is a six point buck and so on) I couldn't tell if this was a four point or a six, as the branches made it difficult to see. Anyway-I decided to be a responsible hunter and not take the shot. If I hit him from the rear, I might have seriously wounded him, but he would have run and I would have to search to find him, and the shot would also have killed the meat.
I saw other deer, but they were behind brush, so I couldn't get a good view. All in all, I must have seen over twelve deer, but I didn't take any. Many "hunters" are trigger-happy fools, and will shoot at anything that moves-including other hunters.
I know this spot now,and I will go there again. Next time, I will carry less gear-too bullky. I should just have a small seat,and food.
I didn't realize that check out time was at 5:00, so I ended up staying another day.
I could have gone hunting again, but decided that I needed sleep more, so I slept in, took a long, hot shower, and left at 11am.
Anyway, it is not a long drive,if you don't go to Jersey, good accomodations, and New Paltz is a great town.
oh, btw-I do not hunt for a trophy, I hunt because I love venison. I make a great venison stew, venison chili, marinated steaks, and I have had venison salami, which is amazing. If you are going to eat red meat,venison has no chemicals, no steroids, and is extremely low in fat. You simply must know how to cook, and I cook very well. If they sold venison in the supermarket, I wouldn't hunt. But, they don't, so I do.

MasterKiller
11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
[mr. mackey]

killing is bad, mm-kay?

[/mr. mackey]

TaichiMantis
11-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Why hunt when you live in the car-deer crash capital of the world (Kent co. MI)? My husband killed an 8 pt. buck last week with our Honda CR-V. And yes, it is one of the safest vehicles out there, even with $4200 in damage, no one was hurt.:rolleyes:

TenTigers
12-16-2006, 07:48 AM
yah, but don't you get tired of meatloaf and burgers?:p