PDA

View Full Version : UFC vs Pride

XiaoJieFu
11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
I've been wondering lately what exactly are the differences between UFC and PRIDE?

I've seen a fair share of videos from each, and the guys in pride generally seem to be more skilled than UFC fighers. Guys like Takanori Gomi and Genki Sudo seem like they could really mess up a fair share of UFC guys. I find it much more entertaining as well.

Am i wrong? What's the difference? :confused:

Mr Punch
11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I've been wondering lately what exactly are the differences between UFC and PRIDE?

I've seen a fair share of videos from each, and the guys in pride generally seem to be more skilled than UFC fighers. Guys like Takanori Gomi and Genki Sudo seem like they could really mess up a fair share of UFC guys. I find it much more entertaining as well.

Am i wrong? What's the difference? :confused:Yes to the bolded bit.

Some Pride fighters are better than some UFC fighters and vice versa.

And all fighters have bad days.

Eg, Dokonjonosuke Mishima has just lost his first UFC fight in the first round with a 17-4-2 record in Pride, Deep and Shooto.

And Sudo is a K1 fighter, not Pride, though since he's primarily jujutsu I don't know why he doesn't go to a venue with more groundwork than K1MMA. Plus he has fought UFC... 38, 42 and 47 according to Sherdog: he won 38 and 47 and lost 42 by submission.

As for the difference, the rules aren't that different now, it's mostly just a purse and a venue nowadays.

Personally I prefer watching Pride but that's because I live in Japan and can get it free over here and I don't know how to watch UFC here!

shiyonghua
11-21-2006, 07:50 PM
The rules really aren't that different I don't think . . . I think that in Pride you can knee on the ground, or at least they used to. That's how Igor V. won a couple fights . . . Kerr too earlier on.

Just my opinion, but I think that Pride has better cards overall; I think that you see more big names in Pride events than at UFC events; usually at UFC events they have maybe two main draws whereas Pride events seem stacked

shiyonghua
11-21-2006, 07:52 PM
oh yeah . . . and from what I've read, Pride pays a whole lot more . . . their events usually fill whatever dome they are holding it in, sometimes its tens of thousands of people at Pride versus maybe two thousand at UFC events

hjt
11-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Yes to the bolded bit.

Some Pride fighters are better than some UFC fighters and vice versa.

And all fighters have bad days.

Eg, Dokonjonosuke Mishima has just lost his first UFC fight in the first round with a 17-4-2 record in Pride, Deep and Shooto.

And Sudo is a K1 fighter, not Pride, though since he's primarily jujutsu I don't know why he doesn't go to a venue with more groundwork than K1MMA. Plus he has fought UFC... 38, 42 and 47 according to Sherdog: he won 38 and 47 and lost 42 by submission.

As for the difference, the rules aren't that different now, it's mostly just a purse and a venue nowadays.

Personally I prefer watching Pride but that's because I live in Japan and can get it free over here and I don't know how to watch UFC here!

actually, K-1 has an MMA org now, thats why he is listed under K-1, he lost in UFC to ludwig, via decision not submission and that was a bad decision, ludwig was cut and they stopped to check the cut and ludwig just outscored him. as for which is better, i think pride has more skilled fighters, more fast paced fights and the best HW division in the world.

XiaoJieFu
11-22-2006, 11:01 AM
skill aside, pride fighters seem to be MUCH flashier too. I've only seen this in the japanese fighters... is this a common thing? Both outside of the ring (ie. Genki Sudo's crazy entrances) and in the ring... People flipping over an opponent who's on the ground to get at them from another angle. Can't remember who that was. I just find it so much more entertaining!

Merryprankster
11-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Pride allows knees and kicks to the head while on the ground (you can kick/knee a downed opponent's noggin.), UFC does not.

UFC allows elbows, which Pride prohibits.

Those are the major rule differences - some minor ones:

Pride as a 10 minute first round
UFC has a ten point must system, which I'm not sure Pride does.
UFC calls for stand-ups on looser criteria, IMO.

That's about all I can think of in my sleepy, groggy state.

Faruq
11-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Mr Punch used facts that I can't controvert, but UFC is still so much more boring to me and the fighters seem so much less skilled. Now that Mr Punch has proven that's not the case by using facts though, I can't understand why I enjoy Pride so much more. Though UFC has great fighters at the top of each weight class, could it be that the fighters outside the top 3 of each weight class in Pride are much higher quality fighters than the fighters that round out the weight classes of the UFC?