PDA

View Full Version : When does your teacher teach W/C weapons?

ZenGuy
11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Just wondering what the general opinion is on when weapons should be taught, Fong learnt pole during Chum Kuen but my teacher believes you should be Black belt (4-5 years) before weapons are taught :(

k gledhill
11-22-2006, 09:48 AM
1st lesson I show the weapons so the student understands whats guiding them from the beginning....
it isnt the actual weapons that are the key its how they are used & tactics in fighting .
Actual hands on weapons, as soon as I feel they can handle the pole , early development is encouraged to understnad the ballistic force applied to hands.

couch
11-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I was taught the empty hand exercises (battle punch) for the pole in my first year of study. Then I completed parts of the pole over my 2-3 year stretch.

The swords are generally taught after about 4 years of study in parts, however - the form is finished symbolically as cutting ties with your Sifu as you move on to teaching yourself.

Also, prior to learning the swords, you are taught wrist strengthening exercises with gravel-filled wine bottles to get the feel of the cutting action needed.

Hope this helps your curiousity! :)

Best,
Kenton Sefcik