PDA

View Full Version : The Swan kungfu style?

Hishaam
11-24-2006, 03:03 AM
Hi everyone, does such a style exist? I'm asking because a new coworker told me about it, at first i thought that he was misinformed about the name and that it was actually the crane style but he insisted it was not, i did a search on google but i found nothing, can anyone shed some light on this or post some website links?
thank you

Dim Wit Mak
11-24-2006, 09:30 PM
According to the folks at Bei Shaolin Kung Fu, there is a White Swan system from the Omei Shan Temple. Perhaps they can tell you more about it.

http://www.beishaolin.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=15

http://www.nkyshaolindo.com/history.html

Hishaam
11-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Thank you for the links, it seems that it did exist, i'll contact Bei shaolin to see if the style is still alive, thanks again.

Dim Wit Mak
11-25-2006, 11:28 AM
You are welcome. Let me know if there is someone who still teaches it. I am curious.:)

Hishaam
11-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Sure i'll keep you posted if i find anything.

ghostexorcist
11-26-2006, 12:08 PM
According to the folks at Bei Shaolin Kung Fu, there is a White Swan system from the Omei Shan Temple. Perhaps they can tell you more about it.

http://www.beishaolin.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=15

http://www.nkyshaolindo.com/history.html

I notice that the second link you gave was a school located in northern kentucky. Do you attend this school? I live in Burlington, KY, just down the street from Florence and I was interested in starting my training again.

Dim Wit Mak
11-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I notice that the second link you gave was a school located in northern kentucky. Do you attend this school? I live in Burlington, KY, just down the street from Florence and I was interested in starting my training again.

Naw. I'm almost embarrassed to say where I live, but it is a state famous for its weirdos. At any rate, I just keep my eyes open and run into information that I share when I see someone asks for it. The second link is to a Shaolin Do school. I can't recommend or not recommend them. They are controversial, but I make it a policy to respect everyone and keep my nose out other people's business. You would have to visit the school, and make your mind up for yourself.

The only advise I would give would be to make sure any school offers exactly what you are looking for or you are wasting your time and money.

Pardon my ignorance of Kentucky geography, but are you anywhere near Prestonsburg?

SanHeChuan
11-26-2006, 04:24 PM
The only advise I would give would be to make sure any school offers exactly what you are looking for or you are wasting your time and money.

I would say It's better to do anything than to do nothing. I regret all the years I missed training because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Just pick the best option available.

Dim Wit Mak
11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I would say It's better to do anything than to do nothing. I regret all the years I missed training because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Just pick the best option available.

I would say your advice to yourself is better than what I gave you. Best wishes in whatever you choose and in your training.:)

Shaolin Wookie
12-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Naw. I'm almost embarrassed to say where I live, but it is a state famous for its weirdos.

Could it be Utah?;)

That's what I thought. Anyway, Bei Shaolin seems to have stolen the style listings verbatim from a book called Secrets of the Temple by the Shaolin-Do Association. Probably not a good idea, considering the debates about the legitimacy of SD. Just check the infamous thread, wink, wink.

I attend an SD school, but I've yet to see it. But then, I doubt anyone else has, either. Seems to be the order of the day in SD. You probably won't get it there. Our system just isn't set up in the 'order from the menu' format, and GM The has yet to teach any of the systems he has mastered to his students. But that's a topic for another thread.

Fun place to train, but you won't get swan any time soon.:o