PDA

View Full Version : Chu Sau Lei Fighter Aaron Baum Wins Semi Pro Fight!

Alan Orr
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi Guys

My student Aaron Baum had his first semi Pro NHB ring fight.

He won in 4 mins with a Guillotine/Neck Crank submission.

He beat the guy up, had him out on his feet at one point. Controlled the guy on the ground and the clinch.

It was Chu Sau Lei structure 101!

Big thanks for you guys envoled, helping with training, driving, coming to fights and so on.

It was great to have that support.

We all work hard as a team to Battle Test our system.

Keep training hard!

Check out the pictures at:

http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/nhb/fightreview.html

We have film of the fight, it will also be up soon

My best

Alan

www.alanorr.com

lawrenceofidaho
11-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Congratulations, Aaron! :)

The 'Iron Wolves' team is racking up a pretty respectable MMA competition record....

(Thanks for the updates.)

tbone
11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Congrats! Pics look good, can't wait for the video.

Any advice on wrapping hands, Alan? Thanks

Alan Orr
11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Guys.

Tbone - what sort of questions do you have. If I can help I will of course.

My best

Alan

www.alanorr.com

sihing
11-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Alan, Neil and Aaron,

It's always nice to see good people reap what they sow..

Congratulations boys, keep on keepin on...

James

tbone
12-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks Guys.

Tbone - what sort of questions do you have. If I can help I will of course.

My best

Alan

www.alanorr.com
Alan,

I usually only wrap for heavy bag work. What sort of training would you use hands wraps in? Heavy bag, sparring, focus mit, etc.? Are there some good gloves that work in all situations?

If you use wraps during training do you use tape or something else? I have some cloth-type wraps but I'm not sure that they do a lot.

Are you wrapping differently during competition? If so, why? Are there rules established that you must follow?

I'm basically looking for some guidelines to follow on wrapping hands for training and/or competition.

Also, do you recommend any particular gloves for training?

Anyone's input would be appreciated.

-tbone

aaron baum
12-01-2006, 08:49 AM
hello Tbone...im aaron by the way...the guy who fought the semipro...hope you are well....

generall i dont wrap my hands in training...only for the fights...when sparring using boxing gloves ive occasionally wrapped them but if you get a nice pair of well made gloves that fit nice and snug theres less need...a lot of it comes down to how you punch, with a vertical fist the pressure on the fist is dissapated down the arm quite safely (especially if you have proper body structure such as in Chu Sau Lei)...when you punch with a horizontal boxing fist, the hand is subject to easily getting injured (how many boxers have broken there hands, escpecially on the street with no gloves).....

secondly, i do a lot of isometric stands, hand stands on fists, plank with fists etc which helps to strengthen the wrist and fist....and lastly when on the bag i dont use gloves at all...slowly the skin toughens and the strength developed in the wrist doing this is immediate, though if you use a horizontal fist not a vertical fist you will lose the skin of your hand very quickly....if not use Fairtex MMA gloves for the bag or sparring or fighting, theyre the best by miles...the padding doesnt get in the way of punching properly and the feel like you havent got them on even on the bag....

as for wraps for the fight...normal hand wraps, but not a lot of padding....less is more...strip of padding across the knuckles, bandage around this and the wrist...bits of tape throught the fingers...and another layer of bandage around the wrist/hand and tape...good to go!

my best

aaron

tbone
12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Thank you Aaron.

I've had some trouble with my right wrist lately but I think it has more to do with working on the computer all day. Maybe carpal tunnel is setting in?

I'm going to try some of the exercises you mentioned and see if that helps.

I think I've seen you in the NHB ground and pound DVD. It's easy to see why you have been succesful in competition. Keep training hard.

My best,

tbone

aaron baum
12-02-2006, 11:41 AM
hello tbone

i had a similar problem...matt furey has got a good system to improve carpal tunnel...plus doing the plank on the fist with a straight arm for 1 min or so made a big difference...

sifu has a new dvd called NHB wing chun extreme...things have progressed and theres some great stuff on there....

thanks for the positive thoughts

best

aaron

Alan Orr
12-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the knid words.

Hey T Bone

RE:

I usually only wrap for heavy bag work. What sort of training would you use hands wraps in? Heavy bag, sparring, focus mit, etc.? Are there some good gloves that work in all situations?

Alan: I would always wrap for the Heavy Bag. As you are hitting for some time. For focus pads I use an inner hand gloves( Kunckle guard), they are quicker that full hand wraps and it saves time for when you change over after doing your rounds. Sparring I don't use wraps as I control my striking power otherwise people get hurt. If I was going all out, then yes I would wrap. I also hit a bit without gloves or wraps, but I hit slower to work skills and stop any injury.
I find Twins for Boxing gloves and Fairtex the best fitting MMA gloves.

RE:

If you use wraps during training do you use tape or something else? I have some cloth-type wraps but I'm not sure that they do a lot.

Are you wrapping differently during competition? If so, why? Are there rules established that you must follow?

Alan: I only use Tape for fights as it makes the hands stronger and the glove fit better.

Cloth wraps are just for training.

In fights you use a guaze wrap sometimes two, then you tape up.

In the US you do have to wrap the tape well for fights. No loose wrap etc

RE:

I'm basically looking for some guidelines to follow on wrapping hands for training and/or competition.

Alan:

Go to www.ringside.com check out the hand wraps, they have them all.

Plus go to :

http://www.ringside.com/WrapYourHands.aspx

That will show you the correct way to wrap with training wraps.

The difference with Guaze wraps is you fold out 3-4 folds of wrap the length of you kunckles, place that over the kunckles then start wrapping as in step 2 on the site. Then tape - you will cut tape for inbetween the kunckles and then across the kunckles, around the thumb must be tight and around the wrist.

I hope that helps.

RE:

I've had some trouble with my right wrist lately but I think it has more to do with working on the computer all day. Maybe carpal tunnel is setting in?

I'm going to try some of the exercises you mentioned and see if that helps.

Alan:

You said you got my Ground and Pound NHB DVD, look at the striking the medicine Ball scene. The wrist must be bent in order to impact correctly with your kunckles. Most people have the wrist inline with the forearm which does stress the joint. Check it out. At this point you must also strengthen it as Aaron said.

My best

Alan

www.alanorr.com

tbone
12-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for the information. I'll start wrapping my hands differently and see how that works out.

I've been using some Everlast gloves mostly because they are easily purchased around here but I'll be getting new ones for Christmas. :)

I do remember the medicine ball part from the DVD. I remember you talking about punching with the three knuckles and bending the wrist. I'll re-watch that and work on the structure.

Thanks again for your help.

-T