The Xia
12-06-2006, 11:29 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4754358887413654428

Knifefighter
12-07-2006, 09:56 AM
The rubber guard triumphs again.

MasterKiller
12-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Using the rubber guard gave me a sprained MCL... I never attempt it anymore.

jigahus
12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Nice. I think at the 49 second mark Akebono was breast feeding gracie. Can anybody else verify? :p

Ford Prefect
12-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Using the rubber guard gave me a sprained MCL... I never attempt it anymore.

Don't pull on your foot. Grab above your ankle or even mid-way on your shin. Otheriwse stretch, fool! I have long, flexable legs, so it makes sense for me.

MasterKiller
12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Don't pull on your foot. Grab above your ankle or even mid-way on your shin. Otheriwse stretch, fool! I have long, flexable legs, so it makes sense for me.

I do stretch. A lot. And I know to grab my shin (learned the hard way when I popped my own ankle 6 months ago sinking in a triangle choke).

But I also have very tight hips (can't even sit "indian style"), which can put extra strain on my knees when I try to bend my legs into funny positions like the rubber guard can require.

Ford Prefect
12-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Wow. Is there a medical/injury reason for the tight hips or do you just not stretch them enough/effectively?

MasterKiller
12-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow. Is there a medical/injury reason for the tight hips or do you just not stretch them enough/effectively?
I used to dedicate about 6 hours/week to a stretch/yoga routine, not so much anymore. I can put my chin on my knees cold, and it's hard for anyone to tap me with a Kimura because I can roll my shoulders past most people's tolerance and avoid the lock 9 times out of 10.

Over the years I've tried every exercise anyone has ever told me about it to loosen my hips. There just seems to be no way to loosen them up.

When I side-kick, if I don't turn my hips away from the target (thus exposing my back), I can't get my foot above the average person's knee. If I force it, I get a sharp pain that's strong enough to make me sit for a few.

Just born lucky, I guess.

Ford Prefect
12-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Ever try shutdown threshold isometrics?

MasterKiller
12-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Is that where you stretch to the limit and tense, then relax and strecth deeper...?

Honestly, I think it's more of a bone issue than a muscle one. It feels like my hip joint "catches" when I try to go sideways.

Ford Prefect
12-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Kind of. You stretch to the limit in a safe stretch (ie for hip stretches you need to do one that does not put undo stress on the knees and ankles) and push against a resisting force as hard as you can in the opposite direction of the stretch (ie your hands or bodyweight). This push starts slowly and ramps up to maximal contraction over the course of 15 seconds. After this 15 seconds keep, exerting yourself until you can't anymore. This will hurt. You should now be able to stretch deeper. Maybe to this one or two more times and then just hold the stretch at the new depth for a minute. Because of the intense nature of this, you should only do it 2x/week for beginners and 3x/week after that.

To explain it simply, what causes a limitted stretch in any case is muscle contraction. Basically when you reach a point where your nervous system isn't "comfortable" it sends out a signal to contract the antogonist muscles to stop you from going any further. What this method does is pretty much saps all the energy from the antogonist muscles, so they can't contract anywhere near as hard to prevent you from increasing your range of motion.

There should be no medical reason in normal people preventing you from having more hip flexability. If this is a bone issue, there would likely be ongoing pain. However if you feel it is a bone issue, you need to see the doctor immediately. An issue that hampers your ROM this much should be taken care of ASAP. I had real tight hips at one point too (not nearly as tight as yours), and I can completely relate to the "bone issue" thing. It really felt like my bones would catch on something. I stayed dilligent, and I eventually made it through. Still, see a doc if you really feel this way.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2006, 06:43 PM
adora thought for sure "chubby" was gonna win.

Yao Sing
12-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Since we're on the subject of tight hips and stretching anyone have a recommendation on a stretch machine?

My son's been wanting one and complains about his hips being tight. He's built like my wife's side of the family. More muscle and strength but very little flexability.

I always wanted to get the Power Stretcher that Bill Wallace promoted years ago but never bought one. I liked it because you could crank it to your max then pull the handle to work past it.

I haven't looked at what's available these days so maybe someone who has can fill me in on what's good.

Yao Sing
12-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Looks like Bill is pimping the Versaflex these days. Anyone know if it holds up?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2006, 10:53 PM
if you need anything at all id just buy him a rope ... a good book might be money better spent.

i know a lot of people like pavels relaxing into the stretch.

The Xia
12-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I find that enough room and a comfortable set of clothing is really all you need for stretching. Why don't you teach him stretches you learned from TCMA?

Yao Sing
12-10-2006, 08:22 AM
I did teach him stretching. He's also done some stretching in the Shotokan and Kenpo schools when he was younger but he wants one of the machines.

My brother in law had one when we lived in El Paso and my son used it a few times so I guess he feels like that's what he needs.

He probably gets frustrated because I bounce around like rubber but that's natural for me. My daughter is built like my side of the family and is naturally flexible.

I agree it's not neccessary but that's what he wants and it's his money. I just have to recommend one. Of course I'll probably use it myself whenever I'm over his place.

SifuAbel
12-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Thank you , Xia. Its always nice to laugh uproariously on a sunday morning.

So what was the fat guy trying to do? Absorb Gracie through his pores? :rolleyes: :D