PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions

iri
08-30-2001, 06:42 AM
I am new to Tai Chi and I was wondering if it was OK to practice after working out?Is the 48 posture set just the same as the first 24 reversed? Also I have this really odd problem for my age. Every joint in my body snaps when rotated. I assume that is not good. Any ideas what would cause that? Also, are there any good sites that have all the postures and details listed out about each one?
Peace,0ptikal

Repulsive Monkey
08-30-2001, 10:52 AM
Doing Tai Chi after doing a work out (you didn't mentioned what it s exactly you do during your work-out) can have some benefits, such as , as the muscles are tired this can help relaxation a bit (admittedly in a slightly artificial way) and can help you give up on muscle tension a little quicker. However it would not be a good idea if you maintained the musclular tension derived from the work-out into your Tai Chi as muscular tension and Tai Chi don't go together. I'm not sure about your forms as my short form is 77 postures and my long form is 128 postures so I can't comment on your forms.
The bone clicking your mention, I usd to get that a bit when I first started Tai Chi but it soon went away. From a Chinese Medicine perspective it could mean that you have a slight Kidney defciency which I'm sure will be rectified by your perserverance in Ta Chi. Anyway, welcome to the world of nternal arts, hope your stay is fruitful.

iri
08-30-2001, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the Reply.
My workout usually consists of running in the begining for about 15min or 2.5miles and then weight training follows that. The Tai Chi class is at the gym that I workout at so I was wondering if I should workout before or after or should I rotate days? I worked out between two classes yesterday and I noticed that the second class was a lot harder but I didn't know if that was good or not,my muscles were more tense just because they were fatigued. Are your muscles supposed to experience any sort of tension at all even in the begining?

EARTH DRAGON
08-30-2001, 07:15 PM
I suggest you try to practice early in the morning or late at night,for reasons that are obvious and the resons that repulsive monkey gave you, this may be of little importance or signifigence at this point in your training but in the morning between 5-7 and at night between 11-1 the ions in the atmosphere are strongest, this is the ideal time to open up and enjoy the earth's chi as well as cultivating your own, remember some people walk on the earth, tai chi practioners walk with it!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Repulsive Monkey
09-06-2001, 10:57 PM
I have to be honest from what I have leanrt in my studies the Chinese Clock of Chinese Medicine would suggest that in the morning to practice between 3-5 am as this is the time when the Lung Qi is at its strongest and therefore one can receive to ones best potential the best amount of Zong Qi from the air, and maybe at 5-7 pm when the Kidney Qi is at its most receptive, and one can refine ones Jing. But generally as early as possible in the morning is good if you only do it once a day.

GLW
09-07-2001, 06:34 AM
24 Posture is a beginner routine created in 1955. It is based upon Yang style and has 4 lines of movements. At the proper speed it takes between 5 and 6 minutes to do (it can take a bit longer but this requires good flow since slower may end up stagnant.).

48 Posture was created a bit later. It has a substrate of the basics from 24 Posture that acts as the 'glue' that holds it together. It also has sections that come from Yang, Chen, Sun, and Wu styles. The interesting part is to bring out the flavor of each style while keeping it fluid and coherent.

48 has 6 lines and takes 8 to 9 minutes done the correct speed.

42 Posture is the International Standard Compulsory routine. It has many similarities with 48 but is different. It has 4 lines and is required to be between 5 and 6 minutes in duration in competition.

beaudacious
09-09-2001, 03:40 PM
if your joint cracking is not causing any pain dont worry about it. Myself and other students have experienced this. If it is causing pain use caution when working out and doing internal arts