PDA

View Full Version : Low Stances in sparring?

XiaoJieFu
12-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I have very limited exposure to southen styles (a bit of choy lay fut).

When you guys (as Southen style practitioners) spar, do you use low stances? To date I've yet to see a video of a real fight/sparring where someone used stances. I was wondering if someone could inform me on this. Any videos?

Golden Arms
12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Remember, a stance is not a static thing, its often a way of stepping or moving. I cant speak for others, but in Hung, yes we fight out of them, much like a wrestler or some boxers use elevation change, we do as well...going from higher stances to lower as our targets change on the body, or for evasion/counter attacking. Look at some Baji on youtube for a good example of how to move in your stances, they tend to be pretty mobile in a similar way/look.

David Jamieson
12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
yes, but transitionally as ga has stated.

I use post stepping prior to bolting in for a rush.

i will also use a low horse to get under someone for a toss.

I don't tend to stand there statically in a physically demanding lowstance waiting for incoming though if that's what youhad in mind.

the style i use is a hung style and trains extensively in strengthening the legs, waist and joints using low stances. These don't always translate out as low when applied and again, they aren't maintained in waiting postures while in an active combative situation.

back straight and eyes up!

XiaoJieFu
12-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Ah, that's the kind of response I was hoping for. I wasn't expecting Southen boxers to fight like that guy in Fearless, sitting in horse stance for the whole fight. :rolleyes: But at the same time, I wasn't sure what it would realistically look like.

When I get a chance I'll check out some baji videos.

Iron Buda
12-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Realistically that would get a leg or an ankle broken within seconds.
Stances are to build your legs for any position you may land or leap from,
God forbid, never stop moving in a fight.

mok
12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
When you guys (as Southen style practitioners) spar, do you use low stances? To date I've yet to see a video of a real fight/sparring where someone used stances. I was wondering if someone could inform me on this. Any videos?

You mean like this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSXzK6i9yY

:rolleyes:

XiaoJieFu
12-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Link doesn't work for me.:confused:

I'm not saying that it doesn't exist... I posted this in order to find out how southen fighting works. Just seeking information.

mok
12-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Link doesn't work for me.:confused:

I'm not saying that it doesn't exist... I posted this in order to find out how southen fighting works. Just seeking information.

oops - one leading w was missing there... (fixored). :/

YouKnowWho
12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Low stance can work well for a big heavy guy to use the "earth" fighting stratedy. You stay low and expose very little of your body. You then block all the kicks and punches coming at you. You then move inch by inch until you push your opponent against the wall or corner. Most Kempo guys like to use this approach.

SevenStar
12-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Low stance can work well for a big heavy guy to use the "earth" fighting stratedy. You stay low and expose very little of your body. You then block all the kicks and punches coming at you. You then move inch by inch until you push your opponent against the wall or corner. Most Kempo guys like to use this approach.

inch by inch? In a real fight? I know you of all people don't subscribe to that...

however, from a grappling standpoint, the lower stance will keep your center lower than his, which is great for leverage throws. this doesn't mean you should fight from that low tho. stances are mobile - you sink your level when required, but you don't stay there.

Jeong
12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
When I'm sparring I usually stay high in my stances until the gap has closed. Once punches are flying I drop a little lower so I can use the waist to generate power. Not tremendously low, but enough so I can use my legs in my techniques. The added stability is a good thing if your opponent tries to throw you as well.

syn
12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
During sparring I'm almost always in a stance but my elevation will change depending on where I'm striking, or how I'm blocking.