PDA

View Full Version : David Blaines Light Body Skill

TaoBoxer
09-02-2001, 07:31 PM
Ok guys...what do you think? Light Body or just hocus pocus?

Stranger
09-02-2001, 09:04 PM
I saw the demo on the TLC. Obviously, I have no idea how he did it. He referred to himself as a "magician", which leads me to believe it was a trick. A very impressive one.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Mr. Nemo
09-02-2001, 10:16 PM
David Blaine is nucking futs. Who imprisons themself in a block of ice?

TheBigToad
09-02-2001, 10:20 PM
Well seeing how I know David Blaine on a basis where he knows me as well, I can tell you it is simply a trick and nothing more. He can't do it in person and its a trick of the camera and thats all there is to it.

I am the big toad and this is my pond.

Stranger
09-03-2001, 12:10 AM
Kevin,

Do you mean that the people who were freaking out on the street video were acting? They weren't seeing the levitation illusion the camera was suggesting?

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

origenx
09-03-2001, 04:00 AM
David Blaine has already been "debunked" on this thread: http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=582199028&m=9391938462

This site succinctly explains his Balducci "levitation," including the big Meg Ryan-esque audience "reactions":
http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Stage/7308/balducci.html

In the world of Western "magic," there are no new tricks under the sun - just different ways of presenting them...

EARTH DRAGON
09-03-2001, 05:31 AM
I don't know who dave blain is but I have a freind named dalhal maghradd a 64 year old yogi from india who claims that levitation is very real. It may sound crazy to westerners but he assures me that it is practices in many tempels in india. He explained that their are two types of levitation, 1 is to reverse the polarity in ones body to reverse the magnatics in our sacrums to interact with earths natural magnatics, #2 is to make your body less dense than that atmosphere that surrounds you , thus making you bouyant. Though I have never seen levitation with my own eyes he is a peaceful yogi of praynana hatha for some 59 years a very calm spiritual man that has no reason to lie. I have never seen a UFO but I believe there are other forms of life! does that mean they dont exsist?

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

lui1828
09-03-2001, 07:36 PM
Fox TV ran a show called "Secrets of Street Magicians Exposed" (or something like that).
It showed how Blains' tricks are done.
If you want to leviatate you need to find a crane operator.
Another feat that Blains does is to bring a dead fly back to life.
The grandmaster of white tiger DOO WA (??)claims to have the same skill.

You can find the Fox show on video. check out your video rental store.

You too can amaze your friends.

Nexus
09-03-2001, 07:51 PM
Take a look at www.davidblaine.com (http://www.davidblaine.com) for his upcoming trick. He will be standing on an 80ft high pole with a 13 inch surface area for his feet for 2 days with nothing holding onto him and nothing below him. He says if he falls, goodbye!

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

blur
09-03-2001, 11:19 PM
I can actually do this trick. It is very simple. No wires, no camera, no assitance except for with what I had since birth.

It surprisingly easy and I also get the same reactions. Hamming it up as if you were drained of energy adds alot to the trick.

TaoBoxer
09-04-2001, 12:44 AM
I have seen a few of his specials and watched the trick. I am obviously not gonna go on abt how real it is never having witnessed it. It is of course suspicious that the camera and the audience (shills?) are always behind him. Of the few times I have seen it though, one time in particular caught my attention. The camera was behind him and low, probably at knee level. The heels of his shoes rose straight up. It wasn't like he was just raising up on his toes. I couldn't see any flex in his knees.

Regardless of whether that is real or not his other sleight of hand work is amazing. (Is he a member of that magician-assasins-guild thing we were talking about last month?? lolol)

Oh hey...speaking of this stuff....anyone ever seen Card Fighting?? These guys can CUT you at 15 feet with a playing card. I tried it once with my Ex- TOTALLY as a gag. I raised a welt on her arm from across my livingroom (ooops! sorry hon!)

blur
09-04-2001, 03:11 PM
You hit the nail right on the head. The camera and audience have to be behind him because he is raising on the toes of one foot. Try it. At a certain angle you can not see the one foot touch the ground and viola...

your levitating.

origenx
09-04-2001, 07:31 PM
taoboxer - yes, advanced card tricks can actually be far more difficult than many of these showy "stunt" tricks because they require far more practice, dexterity and training - and plus your audience is right there with a great close-up view. But, they're obviously not as impressive to a TV audience who knows nothing about magic.

I guess it's analagous to how MA movies always use flashy non-practical moves, yet advanced powerful internal arts are never shown on screen. In Hollywood, sizzle does count more than steak!

Earthdragon - funny, I have theorized about the reverse-polarity method. But, talk is cheap - we always hear of these feats, but I've never actually seen it, or even met anyone who has firsthand. Anybody? And we all got camcorders these days, so let's see some footage

TaoBoxer
09-05-2001, 06:05 PM
I saw somthing not too long ago....don't even remember where. This old guy in India....large flowing safron robes...was "levitating," sitting crosslegged abt 3 ft off the ground. He was holding in his L hand a thin cane, arm held out natually, that touched the ground. he talked nicely to the people standing around him.

After a while, he stretches his legs out, stands up, and unwraps his robes from the metal platform that he was sitting on. The "cane" was actully embedded into the ground and ran up his sleeve, down his back, and was attached to a small platform.

I guess it's only profound if you show up late and leave early......

DarkKnight
09-11-2001, 08:14 PM
If any of this crap was possible it would be common knowledge by now. Nothing spectacular stays a secret for very long.
Think for yourself.