PDA

View Full Version : Accumulating too much Yin when practice only first part of Shil Lim Tao

derio
12-17-2006, 04:29 AM
I'am practicing each day now since i stated to learn it the begining of Shil Lim Tao, i know that the begining of Shil Lim Tao is Yin and the rest is Yang, i wonder if it's a problem to accumulate too much Yin when i practice only the begining of Shil Lim Tao ? maybe i should not too much practice it until i learn complete Shil Lim Tao to have both Yin and Yang ?

Thank's

Dave P
12-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Yin and Yang??? Are we are talking about the same fighting method here...? That, logical, most outstanding and especially...'simple and logical' method to fight? It is IMO very good to train the beginning of SLT very often. The most important things are explained in the first part. It teaches you to work from a good stance. It explains you the centreline. It also makes you train to get the elbow in. It explains principles of Tan an Fook Sau... And yes, I'm only talking about the section starting with the opening of the form and the 'slow' (tan/huen/wu/fook) section.

Chum Kil
12-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Just keep practicing, your doing fine.

anerlich
12-17-2006, 03:49 PM
i know that the begining of Shil Lim Tao is Yin and the rest is Yang

According to which particular authority?

Doing what you suggest is far better than the most effective way of accumulating yin energy, viz. sitting on your ass doing nothing.

It's highly unlikely that you could do yourself any significant (or observable) harm in this manner. About the same likelihood as my cats Dim Mak'ing me when they walk across my chest and stomach.

If you really think you have something to worry about, practice your basic punches and hand techniques with speed and power for an equivalent amount of time. Problem solved.

Ultimatewingchun
12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
You're thinking way too much, Derio...Practice the first part of SLT slow and easy, pick up some steam during the second and third sections - and then get on with your life. :)

And if you don't know anything more than section one right now - don't worry about it.;)

derio
12-18-2006, 01:26 AM
According to which particular authority? .

Didier Beddar book Shil Lim Tao, he studied 3 years with William Cheung

Doing what you suggest is far better than the most effective way of accumulating yin energy, viz. sitting on your ass doing nothing.

I suggest nothing, i'am just beginner who ask a question, now if you think this place is only for person who already know much stuff that's another thing :rolleyes:

derio
12-18-2006, 01:27 AM
You're thinking way too much, Derio...Practice the first part of SLT slow and easy, pick up some steam during the second and third sections - and then get on with your life. :)

And if you don't know anything more than section one right now - don't worry about it.;)

Ok Thank's ;)

Hishaam
12-18-2006, 07:20 AM
It's a problem to accumulate too much Yin when practicing only the begining of Shil Lim Tao.

Did you read this on Sifu Beddar's book?

derio
12-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Did you read this on Sifu Beddar's book?

No, it was just a question i have

leroyjnsn
12-18-2006, 12:29 PM
I think you are doing just fine. Keep practicing! I was informed that the first section of this form teaches you relaxation, and should be done slowly. I recently purchased a DVD on this form from the VTM, and in it was stated that, it would take GM Ip Man 30-45 minutes just to complete the first section of SNT. So hang in there. Its supposed to be slow and relaxed to cultivate chi energy.

Dave P
12-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Its supposed to be slow and relaxed to cultivate chi energy. :eek: :confused: :mad:

You should do it slow to work the elbow in. To train to get the elbow there...

anerlich
12-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Didier Beddar book Shil Lim Tao, he studied 3 years with William Cheung

He obviously cares about it lot more than I do after my 17 years of studying TWC (William Cheung's style) under an instructor, Rick Spain, who was William Cheung's direct student for 22 years and has never raised it as an issue.

I suggest nothing, i'am just beginner who ask a question, now if you think this place is only for person who already know much stuff that's another thing

Easy, sport, I never said it was a stupid question, and certainly never said this was not a forum for you or anyone else.

My answer remains valid - practice whatever you know as long and as hard as you can stand it. If it start to hurt or make you feel bad, back off.

There is no way that practising the first part of SLT is going to damage you. GO for it. It's a lot less bad for you than contact sparring, that's for sure.

Good luck!

Ultimatewingchun
12-18-2006, 09:53 PM
"It's a lot less bad for you than contact sparring, that's for sure."

***Ha, Ha, Ha...Now that was definitely funny!!! :p :D

derio
12-19-2006, 02:53 AM
I suggest nothing, i'am just beginner who ask a question, now if you think this place is only for person who already know much stuff that's another thing

Easy, sport, I never said it was a stupid question, and certainly never said this was not a forum for you or anyone else.

So i misunderstand you when you said

English is not my primary language so no problem :)

Hishaam
12-19-2006, 04:13 AM
He obviously cares about it lot more than I do after my 17 years of studying TWC (William Cheung's style) under an instructor, Rick Spain, who was William Cheung's direct student for 22 years and has never raised it as an issue.

It seems that Sifu Beddar didn't but Derio did, look at his answer to my post.

anerlich
12-19-2006, 04:50 PM
It seems that Sifu Beddar didn't but Derio did, look at his answer to my post.

OK, I did. And your point is ... ?

Hishaam
12-21-2006, 01:02 AM
My point is that Derio's question isn't based on sifu Beddar's book as he wrote in one of his posts.