PDA

View Full Version : Chen Big Pole Training

RAF
12-18-2006, 06:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQoWDLmXuvY&mode=related&search=

Chen Zheng Lei showing big pole training form.

My bet is that all of the movements can be played as single moving postures which helps develop and isolate various body mechanics.

samson818
12-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Chen pole training is so very similar to Baji pole training.
I believe Bagua and Xingyi also have similar long pole training methods.

Using such a long pole really helps to generate proper body mechanics if trained properly.

It is best, IMHO, to train individual movements with the long pole.

SPJ
12-18-2006, 11:00 AM
yes. there are 13 methods.

it is called Da Gan Zi or big pole.

if you place a spear head, then it is called Da Qiang or long spear.

it is over 3 meter long.

13 methods.

1. Zhan (stick)
2. Chan (reeling)
3. Jiao (writhing)
4. Lan (intercept)
5. Pi (chopping)
6. Beng
7.Tuo (lifting, supporting)
8. Gua (confine, hang)
9. Heng (horizontal)?
10. Za (downward chopping)
11.Do (shaking)
12. Jia (block)
13. Tiao (upward lifting)

:)

GLW
12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok...but where do you get one of those big staves....

None of the importers I know carry anyting much longer than 8 feet....

GeneChing
12-18-2006, 01:04 PM
We ran a complete photo-essay on this form in our 2003 September/October (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=377): Tai Chi Long Pole: The Complete Thirteen Movement of Tai Chi Stick Form By Li Shu Dong.

As for long poles, the reason why most suppliers don't carry them (including MartialArtsMart (www.martialartsmart.net)) is shipping. Once something gets into over-sized, it costs a fortune to ship.

RAF
12-18-2006, 02:55 PM
GLW:

What we do is get a carpenter to glue two triangular wood lengths so the pole is initially a square. Then we hand plane them (tried to use a machine planer but it took too much off).

Some have found oak railing but that is too heavy for punches---better for turning over the da qiang exercises.

Wan Li had some for sale in Philadelphia on his website.

Coopr
12-23-2006, 07:43 PM
GLW
Home depot sells a 14' pole for about 22 or 23 dollars and they are thick.

shrub
12-24-2006, 10:35 AM
These are White Wax poles. They are flexible - hence 'pole shaking'. You can find them in some Kungfu stores. Some Kungfu schools also carry them.

scholar
12-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Very interesting video, thanks for posting it.

My teachers told me that the long spears/poles like that were very handy for knocking people off of horses in the old days...

chessman71
12-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I posted that clip of CZL on youtube because I think the material is useful. I'm still getting something out of the practice. But I find the material on this clip to be even better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQy-Ynz1zQ

This is shui jiao long pole training. It has a greater range of motion on the moves, and seems to allow for more varied power development. I'm starting to see the Chen material as really working fajing training, and that's about it. There's a lot more to IMA than just fajing IMO.

Dave C.