PDA

View Full Version : knee crunch

racerX
12-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Hello everyone,
I've been doing exta leg training,my right knee has been bad,but recently the crunchy sounds have gotten alot worse.I have no real pain but more of an aching
pain in the morning by mid day its gone. Anyone know what this crunch is?Who else here has this?
Thanks

bodhitree
12-19-2006, 08:02 AM
My one knee does some clicking thing, sounds similar, its weird, I can do heavy squats but the bodyweight ones make it go crazy. I started taking some joint supplement (not triflex) but I would recommend triflex.

racerX
12-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Bodhitree,thanks I will look into that.

Chief Fox
12-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I was at an othepedic surgeons office to have my knee checked out and he mentioned that the cracking and crunching I heard was just "rough edges" and nothing to worry about. At the time he was also looking at an Xray that showed that I had plenty of cartilage so he knew it wasn't something more serious.

The soreness could be the onset of arthritis (spelling???).

If it gets worse you might want to get checked out.

And the joint supplement is a great idea.

bodhitree
12-19-2006, 09:05 AM
maybe we should heal ourselves with falun gong.

kwaichang
12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
The crepitus of the knee can be caused by tight IT band tightness and lateral tracking of the patella/ knee cap. This will increase the popping and wear and tear on the knee. I too have that problem but it decreases alot with MFR to the IT band and VMO strengthening with Full Weight Bearing TKE Try it Kc

lunghushan
12-19-2006, 12:11 PM
If you are having knee problems you are doing it wrong. Doing movements without opening your kua and keeping your weight back off the front of your knees is the usual cause of knee problems.

kwaichang
12-19-2006, 02:29 PM
iNCREASED FLEXION EQUALS INCREASED INFRA PATELLAR STRESS. Wrong is not an issue here at this time. The knee has a rotational as well as hinge component and unless you have cartilage damage the Crepitus is usually caused by poor tracking , usually Lateral of the Patella and that means tight IT band and weak co contractors of the knee KC

racerX
12-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the advice,
KC this tracking my be the problem,I have started to do more lunges with the weight vest on incressing the weight plus adding more reps.Ill try to be more focus on my form.Any other info would be great.
Thanks again.

us0kch
12-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Racer, does this knee crunching and sound happen when you do the lunges and/or even a slight bending of the knee while standing? I think I have the same problem too, but mine gets the aching pain either after a hard workout, or a really cold or rainy day. Also, I can never really put any weight on that knee against a hard surface on the floor as it feels like there is no cartiledge or tissue left around the patella area to absorb w/o having discomfort in that area. All this, and when I crouch or squat, that knee definitely feels achey and weak. :(

Yeah, Dr. KC, any additional info would be great too!

kwaichang
12-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Im not a doctor but I did stay at Holiday Inn last PM Ha Ha. Look up Chondromalasia the deterioration of the underside of the patella try cold pacs after your W/O for 15 minutes or so. I am 48 years old and can do things that many 1/2 my age cant do as far as knees are conserned. I cant advise you on drugs but I like to take 200 =400 mg of Ibruprofin prior to a hard W/o with alot of leg work.
Pain with temp changes usually means a sign of arthritis I would see an Orthopedic surgeon to see if s/x or another course of tretment might help I always finish hard w/o with a Cold pac from a company called Chattanooga a gel pac or you can make a good one with 1 to 4 ratio of alchohol and water in a baggy then put it in a freezer bag and double it so it wont leak. KC:)

racerX
12-20-2006, 07:37 AM
KC,thanks again,Iam looking into VMO excerise,i belive my IT bands are strong but fatigued from hard leg training.I'll try more stretching also check with a dr. about cartiledge damage and arthritis.

usOkch,yes lots crunch with slight bending knee ,working on horse stance,lunges,cold weather definitely effects my knee. My knee is strong and weight on the floor causes me no pain just aches after leg day.