PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for last minute Christmas present!

kate99
12-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey there!

First of all I'm new here, my little bro told me I should check this forum out as he's into this type of thing and have absoluteley no idea!

It's been a nightmare trying to find a Christmas present for him and he said I should look on here for ideas? :eek:

So here I am, even though it's last minute the present doesn't HAVE to be ready in time for Xmas.

So your ideas please!

All help most appreciated.

Kate
x

Royal Dragon
12-20-2006, 11:33 AM
What style does he do?

You could get him a book, DVD, or weapon from his style.

Ray Pina
12-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Here's an idea. There's a movie Chambers of Shaolin (I forget the number of chambers but it's a classic). In that movie the lead invents a weapon called the three-sectional-staff... basically a big, three piece nunchuck. Why not buy him the movie and a foam practice version of the weapon?

Or just get him a few classic movies? My favorites:

5 Deadly Venoms
Kid with the Golden Arm.... those are two old school classics

Maybe throw in a Bruce Lee Fist of Legend

And then a modern version of Let Li in a movie of the same title, or Black Mask, which has a more hip hop feel to it.

Good luck. Happy holidays.

SevenStar
12-20-2006, 12:11 PM
36 chambers of shaolin. I would also add "shogun assassin" to that list. It has one of the most badass monologues of MA movie history, IMO.

to add on to ray's hip hop mentioning, there is "romeo must die" and "exit wounds"

but if it were me, I'd prefer a weapon or instructional.

Royal Dragon
12-20-2006, 12:17 PM
If you are going to get movies, "The Last Dragon", and "Big Trouble in Little China" are essentials!

GeneChing
12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I answered your other query here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=726654&posted=1#post726654). Before we get too deep into film recommendations, how old is your little brother? If he's really young, some of these flicks are definitely R rated...

MasterKiller
12-20-2006, 12:36 PM
36 chambers of shaolin.

The American title is "Shaolin MasterKiller."

BruceSteveRoy
12-20-2006, 12:37 PM
you could get him a t-shirt, sweat shirt, hoodie, or zip up hoodie with his style on it from www.superaction.com if they don't have whatever he does you can customize one to say whatever you want. but really i think you should go with what i plan on getting everyone this year. tube socks. not just any tube socks either. the kind from the 80s with the colored stripes on them. you know the ones. they go all the way to the knee. o yea. and if anyone complains i am going to give them a lump of coal. only by giving it to them i mean i will put it in the sock and hit them with it. but thats ridiculous who would complain about getting tube socks?

BruceSteveRoy
12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
here's another idea. take two taichi straight swords and tie the tassles together thereby connecting the swords. when he looks at you confused tell him you made him a pair of swordchuks.

Fuzzly
12-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Kung Fu Hustle is a must-see. I suggest that, because it's one of my favorite movies, hehe.

Royal Dragon
12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
OMFRK'N GOD!!

You just wasted some good Ginseng tea with that one!! :eek:

And a perfectly good key board too!! :p

Fuzzly
12-20-2006, 01:05 PM
We laughing at me? I really liked Kung Fu Hustle =(

BruceSteveRoy
12-20-2006, 01:10 PM
i actually bought my brother kung fu hustle and shaolin soccer for christmas. he isnt in to kung fu but he saw kung fu hustle on hbo and loved it so i figure he'll like shaolin soccer too. its the closest we've come to having something in common in a while. ahh kung fu bringing families together for centuries. the only difference this time is its not bringing us together to crush our enemies. yet.

but fuz i agree kung fu hustle was rad.

Fuzzly
12-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I like Shaolin Soccer too, but not as much. Probably because I didn't think the fight scenes were as good. To be honest, the musician fight scene in Pig Alley is one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever seen.

People who I've watched both with like Shaolin Soccer better usually if they don't do martial arts, from my experience. My kung fu brothers liked Hustle better, but a lot of my dorm mates like Shaolin Soccer better. /shrug both are good movies.

My favorite scene from Soccer is one I can't remember all the way, but it went something like:

Girl: Do you love me?
Guy: Your joking, right?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
i thought both movies were boring .. but then i snort a lot of clorox.

GeneChing
12-21-2006, 10:47 AM
...kate99, do tell us what you get your little bro after xmas. Is he a member here? If he's GunnedDownAtrocity, we all feel for ya.

Ravenshaw
12-24-2006, 03:48 PM
here's another idea. take two taichi straight swords and tie the tassles together thereby connecting the swords. when he looks at you confused tell him you made him a pair of swordchuks.

Sword-chucks, yo! :cool:

I used to read that comic years ago...

tug
12-24-2006, 03:57 PM
(can't believe nobody else has suggested that):p

David Jamieson
12-24-2006, 07:06 PM
get him "felicity- the entire season one"

he'll love it!

lunghushan
12-24-2006, 07:09 PM
If it doesn't 'HAVE' to be ready for Xmas, then maybe you can get him some Playboys.

Seriously, how the heck are we supposed to know what he wants? Maybe ask some of his friends or something what he wants.

If you follow any discussions here you'll find most people on here seem to disagree more than they agree, so doubtful your bro will agree with whatever we suggest.