PDA

View Full Version : Am I gonna die?

IronFist
09-07-2001, 12:17 AM
Whew, there's an attention getting topic :P

Ok, well, keeping in mind the source, in Is this real or fake? (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=340190991&m=1511939872) Turiyan said "People just want to control the system. Did you know that TECHNICALLY, if you come in contact with water, with chi raised in your body, like when you do chi kung, you could theoretically die of pnumonia?"

Wow, that's not cool. So like if I wash my hands after doing my qigong am I going to get sick and die? Granted, I seriously doubt I'm generating much chi at all, but still...

Repulsive Monkey, I appreciate your warnings, and at the first noticable sign of discomfort/bad feeling I plan on quitting. However, here's a weird story for you. About 3 years ago, I was doing Wing Lam's iron body and Green Dragon's stone warrior, everyday, which I learned from tapes. I had an excellent source of instruction on the side who was familar with both programs to help me along when I had questions, but he was over the net, too. I did both of these programs daily for about 1.5 years, and strangely, it's the ONLY 1.5 year period in my life where I never got sick. I always get sick a few times a year, except during that time. Maybe it was just a weird coincidence. Who knows?

btw, as a side note, Wing Lam's iron body says absolutely nothing about reps or sets or length or duration or anything on the tape, so it's almost vital to have someone familar with the training to help you.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not gonna die am I if I get water on me after qigong?

Iron

IronFist
09-07-2001, 12:22 AM
Actually, the reason I stopped training the above mentioned programs was because in college I just could not keep up with that (it took close to 2 hours a day) and all my studying and such. It was a pretty sad day, actually. Well, I guess this requires a small correction on what I said; shortly after school started my freshman year, I did get sick (so technically I did get sick during that 1.5 years), and boy was it the flu from hell. So, after being home for 4 days, I decided "I don't have time to keep doing this training," which was also partially due to the fact that I had a roommate and getting the room for 2 hours a day was hard, and I didn't feel like doing it while he was in there, and so I decided to try weight lifting instead. Well, that stuck for the next 2 years, into the present. Now I'm trying to find a way to combine qigong and weightlifting and kung fu and studying and it's not working too well.

Ok, now you have the whole story :)

Iron

Kumkuat
09-07-2001, 04:25 AM
Yes, you are going to die. Too bad, you were a pretty cool guy too.

Stranger
09-07-2001, 05:17 AM
If you start digging your grave right now, you just might get six feet deep before you collapse.
You're a goner mate. :eek:

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

YMS
09-07-2001, 07:16 AM
RIP brutha :D

YMS
09-07-2001, 07:21 AM
Oh to answer your question, ive trained outside with the wind blowing, ive washed my hands during training and ive never had pneumonia or anything close.
You are going to die yes (every1 will some day) although i dont think it will be from the water during qi gong training though.

YMS

kungfu cowboy
09-07-2001, 09:53 AM
Yeah? And I suppose there is no Santa Claus either! :mad:

Crimson Phoenix
09-07-2001, 12:08 PM
You still listen to Turyian?? Geez...
Isn't raising the qi a way to energize your body and make it less susceptible to attacks?? So if you find a badass master that raises the qi in his own body all you have to do is streetfight him neak a leacking water post in the streets?
Pffff...remember: some qigong practices are indeed dangerous, but if you listen to some guys out there even some basic stuffs can get you killed...use common sense, that what my qigong instructors always told me...
You're still gonna die though :-)

Repulsive Monkey
09-07-2001, 03:57 PM
Getting any part of the body wet and going out into the wind can POTENTIALLY allow Wind Invasions into the body. Wind traditionally can enter into the back of the neck between points Shuang Kuan and Yu Chen and can invade the lungs from there and give you a Chill (with snotty nose!). Being wet can accentuate the whole matter, but the main reason why or why not to whether someone gets a cold/wind invasion is usually due to the strength of their Wei Qi (surface layer protective energy).
Yes, people can go outdoors in all weathers and have precious few effects from the elements and some people just stand in front of an open garden door and get ill as hell. This doesn't necessarily mean that one person is strong and the other weak just that their is a difference in their Wei Qi. Personally one can learn Lung Doa Yin's or easier than that go and see an Acupunturist for herbs and/or needling/moxibustion.
One does not always raise their Qi in Qigong, where did you get such a generalisation like that from??? When I do my Qigong I sink my Qi to the Dan Tien and concentrate there. Naturally Qi knows it's own way on where to go in the body and when one gets natural Qi movement one must not get in the way of it. Raising Qi in the body is actually, by and large, a very unhealthy thing to do. If you persist in doing this you can have some very real bad effects on your health with it, physically and emotionally.

PingAnTu
09-07-2001, 06:21 PM
My wife is Chinese and she was not allowed by her mother to wash her hair for a month after our son was born. Obviously, after you have a child your energy is low. In times previous to this one, the houses were drafty and wind could get you cold. Especially in nothern china. If you are cold and wet, your immune system is weak to the ever present viruses so you get sick. But in modern times we are warm and toasty in our caves most of the time. So if you get wet after qigong... big deal. Just don't go running naked and wet in cold weather.

"When I fought the foreign boxer in Kyoto, I jumped up and punched him in the face. This is effective against people who are taller than you." -- Motobu Choki

YMS
09-08-2001, 04:12 PM
Lol at the last post, true :D