PDA

View Full Version : Yao Li & John Loupos

CeruleanRyuujin
12-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Has anyone trained with Yao Li , John Loupos, or Bob Rosen in the Boston Area? If so could you please provide some feedback. My interest is in Application and Traditional, so please let me know your experiences with them concerning this…

Donkwoon
12-24-2006, 02:36 AM
John Loupos is my Sifu. He has a strong emphisis on the forms and is very strict about teaching them correctly. The forms are his strong point and he has a keen eye for detail. He's not huge into application and drills but students do learn the forms correctly. I've heard of the other guys but I don't know anything about them.

Are you moving to the area?

spiralstair
12-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Bob Rosen over the other two, for both, traditional and application.
Good Luck

Donkwoon
12-24-2006, 02:09 PM
My sifu is no longer with Wa Lum and I think that someone said that Yao Li isn't either. Bob Rosen to my knowledge still is and so if you're looking to just learn the advanced Wa Lum sets he might be able to help you. Still, it won't hurt to call the other guys and see what they have to offer.

Shaolinlueb
12-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Yao Li does more of a modern wushu curriculum now i think. he still might to traditional lstuff but i dont know. I know he does sparring. i don't think he teaches the wah lum anymore.

Yao Sing
12-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Most of the ex-WL guys have migrated away from teaching it and you're not going to get the advanced sets within the system without working up through the ranks.

Good luck.

ironmantis3
12-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Reading these couple threads got me interested so I started cruising around online and found this:

http://www.taichi.com/

You can see Yao Li's current curriculum. It seems that most of the praying mantis stuff is gone. There are just a few Wah Lum sets that are remaining and that isn't until the higher stages of training it seems.

Is it just me or does Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen seem a bit out of place in the curriculum?

Yao Sing
12-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Hmmmm, Saint Hand.

Shaolin Dude
12-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Reading these couple threads got me interested so I started cruising around online and found this:

http://www.taichi.com/

You can see Yao Li's current curriculum. It seems that most of the praying mantis stuff is gone. There are just a few Wah Lum sets that are remaining and that isn't until the higher stages of training it seems.

Is it just me or does Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen seem a bit out of place in the curriculum?

those wah lum forms are just advertisement. he doesn't teach them.

mickey
12-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi CeruleanRyuujin,

I am not a Wah Lum man, but I do remember some names of some of his earlier students. For you and your continued development:

Calvin Bascomb

Wallace Cupp

Bob Algere (or spelled Algera)

Tracy Fleming

Art D' Agostino

Pablo Zamora

Good Luck in your quest,

mickey

Major P.S.: I just remembered being told that Chan Pui used to teach in New York City under the Fu Jow Pai. This was before Boston. As late as the mid '80's there still was an underground practice of Wah Lum in New York. This info came from two sources who did not know each other. I have no connectives with the Fu Jow Pai but you may want to try to talk with Tak Wah Eng, for he was at the Fu Jow Pai at the time. Whether he will open or close the door to you or not is a question. Be Brave!!

Donkwoon
12-25-2006, 07:59 PM
That reminds me of something that I've wanted to ask on this forum; A long time ago Tracy Flemming came to my sifu's school and taught us a set called "Plum Flower Mantis Hand Form". I took over a year off right after learning it and thus have forgoten it. Does that form exist on dvd/vid?

Tracy (He's a guy btw) demonstrated his turny version of his 9 ring army sword form. Very impressive.

He had branched off into another style of mantis but I don't recall what.

Yao Sing
12-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Tracey went back to teaching Shaolin. He's just down the street from me.

The Plum Flower Fist Form is basically the first half of 4th Form. It's on one of the anniversary tapes I think.

Plymouth Rocks
12-29-2006, 05:17 PM
John's a great guy, does taiji as well.

shuaichiao
12-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Plum Flower is actually cha fa with the opening and closing bows changed to make it follow the plum flower pattern. If I remember right it's one of the sets on the living legends of kung fu tape.

Donkwoon
12-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Plymouth Rocks, you're close to my sifu's area. Did you study with him? Have we met?

shuaichiao
12-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Plymouth Rocks, you're close to my sifu's area. Did you study with him? Have we met?

Are you talking to me? If so I'm from Weymouth not plymouth. I learned from Nelson Chan when he had his school in Quincy. I met Lupos once but don't really know him.

Donkwoon
12-30-2006, 12:01 PM
No, sorry I ment to ask that Plymouth Rock guy. I edited it when I realized I put the wrong name in.

Plymouth Rocks
01-01-2007, 01:40 PM
I doubt you know me. I used to teach Gao style baguazhang in Plymouth (now once a month in Brighton). I've known John since he brought Dr Xie to his school many years ago.

Donkwoon
01-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Ok, just wondering. Sifu Loupos held Dr. Xie in very high regard.