PDA

View Full Version : OT: Posted with great sadness, James Brown is on the other side..

mickey
12-25-2006, 09:55 AM
This sucks,

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/25/james.brown.obit.ap/index.html

mickey

FuXnDajenariht
12-25-2006, 12:14 PM
yea i heard. :( the funkiest man that ever did live.

rest well James.

tug
12-25-2006, 06:14 PM
I just heard this afternoon. Truly a great loss, but his legacy will live forever in the annals of music history.

May he RIP.

TuG.

X_plosion
12-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Rest In Peace Mr. Brown!

Li Kao
12-26-2006, 01:49 AM
My favorite James Brown line, from "The Big Payback":

I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!!!

JB was so hip he had 2 nicknames, both of which were probably true: The Godfather of Soul and The Hardest Working Man in Show Business. Though he melded together alot of different styles like gospel, soul, blues, and funk, it's almost like he was his own genre of music. If you don't end up tapping your toe or wanting to get up and dance when hearing some James Brown, then you don't have a pulse. As tug said, his legacy will live on forever ...

Lama Pai Sifu
12-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Don't forget what an upstanding citizen he turned out to be.

Not to mention law-abiding, drug-free, respectful-and-would-never-hit-a-woman, all-around good person he was as well.

We should praise and idolize people, for their specific talents; forget about all the other stuff, just raise them up when they can sing, dance or act. I mean, what else is there,...really?

This guy was a wrotten human-being. Granted, it's sad that he (or anyone) died, but I'm not sad at all....really. He was in and out of jail, carried illegal firearms, got caught with and was addicted to drugs, beat women, etc. Another waste of talent who had the power to set an example (and actually have people follow), but what does he do? He squanders it, wastes it, and winds up leaving us with several sound-bites of himself breaking the law on the evening news for the last 20 years. I'm sure his death releived a lot of people.

Maybe he's in a better place (if you actually believe that kind of thing) but how can some of you people sit here and praise him? He was a bad guy, period. He did bad things, things that are against the law (over and over again) and things that are just plain ol' wrong. Yes, he made music and danced. Yes, he was influencial to other artists. Unfortunatly, he would up being more notorious than famous, by his own doing.

Wow! Did I actually just write this? Did I get up on the wrong side of the bed! Nah...I'm actually in a terrific mood - I just think there is a lot of dead-ass-kissing going on here. C'mon, wake up people!!!

doug maverick
12-26-2006, 08:31 AM
one its never good to speak ill of the dead. two james brown was human and made human mistakes, three doubt people will remember him for the bad things he did in his life, but for the many good things(and there are) i wonder can you say that for yourself. that you would dare pass judgement on someone, is already a testament to the type of person you are(and granted i don't know you, you could be the greatest guy in the world). that being said know james brown wasn't the best of people but then again who is?

mickey
12-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Greetings,

James Brown had another nickname that preceded the other two. That was "The King of Soul." It was changed to "Godfather" after the movie "The Godfather" came out. He was (and is) still considered the "King of Soul" by many.

James Brown was a fantastic band leader who really knew how to get the sound he wanted from his band. I saw him as a band leader who could lead his band while facing the audience--skill, pure skill.

I honored him this morning by playing "Free Bird" repeatedly.

mickey

tug
12-26-2006, 02:55 PM
one its never good to speak ill of the dead. two james brown was human and made human mistakes, three doubt people will remember him for the bad things he did in his life, but for the many good things(and there are) i wonder can you say that for yourself. that you would dare pass judgement on someone, is already a testament to the type of person you are(and granted i don't know you, you could be the greatest guy in the world). that being said know james brown wasn't the best of people but then again who is?

Word. Couldn't have said it better myself.

TuG.

Chief Fox
12-26-2006, 03:17 PM
OW! I feel dead!

Da da da da da da dat!

In my hospital bed.

Da da da da da da dat!

I feeeeeeeel dead!

Da da da da da da dat!

In my hospital bed.

Dah da da da da da dat!

SO Dead!

In my bed.

I've got pneumonia!

Dut du dut duh Daaaahhhh!

Mr Punch
12-26-2006, 05:02 PM
While I can agree with Lama to some extent (despite the positively medieval spelling of 'wrotten'... is there some PC reason why you're not spelling it 'rotten' or are you just being dense?! :D ), he didn't squander his talent: he made some of the most exciting, influential music so far whether you liked it or him or not.

That's what people are eulogising, no?

Was he a role model? No. Did he or anyone claim he was? No. But the Devil has the best tunes as they say, and so did Brown.

Oh, and LMAO at Chief!

Lama Pai Sifu
12-26-2006, 05:50 PM
While I can agree with Lama to some extent (despite the positively medieval spelling of 'wrotten'... is there some PC reason why you're not spelling it 'rotten' or are you just being dense?! :Was he a role model? No. Did he or anyone claim he was? No. But the Devil has the best tunes as they say, and so did Brown.

Oh, and LMAO at Chief!

No, I simply made a typo. It happens from time to time :) But that was very nice of you to call me dense, I appreciate that.

Speaking ill of the dead? Not terribly. I think people should be seen for who they really are, living or dead. It doesn't do us any justice to romanticize people who have talent, just for the sake of them being talented. I didn't say he wasn't talented or knock his achievements. The past several years, he has been arrested, jailed and on tv (for breaking the law) more times than KIMBO has knocked people out!

Wanna say something nice about him, cool. But a few people on here are kissing his a$$ as if they were writing on essay to win a contest for James Brown tickets! The guy was extremely talented, acheived great things and was an icon. But he hasn't been that person for a long time, and it's not so sad when people who cause other people a lot of pain, leave this earth. I am never sorry for them. If he was an upstanding and generally good person, I'm sure I'd feel different. And that is why, him dying, is a footnote on the internet and the news, not a cover story.

Sorry if this offends anyone, we all have the right to express our opinions. I personally have no sad feelings for anyone who does the afore mentioned things.

I am sorry for his family's loss, may his spirit rest (if spirits do that kind of thing).

Plus, I have nothing good to say about any man who strikes a women; even if it might seem like she deserves it (and some of them do). No coming back from that one in my book.

End.

Flying-Monkey
12-26-2006, 05:56 PM
OW! I feel dead!

Da da da da da da dat!

In my hospital bed.

Da da da da da da dat!

I feeeeeeeel dead!

Da da da da da da dat!

In my hospital bed.

Dah da da da da da dat!

SO Dead!

In my bed.

I've got pneumonia!

Yeah. That's some funny sh!t.:rolleyes:

A$$HOLE

FuXnDajenariht
12-26-2006, 09:29 PM
yet another person with a stick up their ass ruining another thread of remembrance for someone who recently passed and all for what? to make yourself feel superior somehow?

he was one of the greatest musicians in modern history period. people are appreciating him for that and that alone. simple. he brought joy to millions and millions of people through his music. no one here on this forum can say the same about anything that they've ever done in their lives. leave that other sh!t at the door.

he hurt alot of people? really who here actually knows any of his family or friends?

he squandered his talent? so being an innovator in multiple genres of music is sqaundering talent?

his death causes relief? thats pretty cold bro. i didn't know James Brown was comparable to Hitler or Pol Pot or Stalin, but thats just me.

talk about exaggerations....

FuXnDajenariht
12-26-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/26/nyregion/26react.html

"the day the funk stood still" lol

now i wonder how many people here are gonna receive official presidential statements praising their lifes work. :rolleyes:

FuXnDajenariht
12-26-2006, 09:51 PM
this one is sad towards the end.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061227/ap_en_ce/james_brown_15

Chief Fox
12-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah. That's some funny sh!t.:rolleyes:

A$$HOLE

You don't like that one? How about this one.

OW! I feel nice!

Da da da da da da dat!

just a beatin' my wife

Da da da da da da dat!

I feeeeeeeel nice!

Da da da da da da dat!

stabbed her with a knife.

Dah da da da da da dat!

Beat my wife!

All night.

I've got you!

The Willow Sword
12-27-2006, 02:55 PM
:D WTF is wrong with you people???

note to everyone " do not crap in cornflakes and consume";)

peace,TWS

Dan_chi_sau
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
all i know is i didn't really pay too much attention to j.b. until a couple of years ago when i went to a red hot chilis gig in manchester. Got offered a ticket late from a friend, by the way had just come out....so here we are waiting outside and someone says that 'james brown, the godfather of soul, soul brother number one' was playing support. The excitement doubled. It was intense, but in a really cool way. James brown gave his whole band guidance, time to work their stuff, a little chat here and there, he even took off for a cuppa (well....) at the side of the stage while one of his backing singers took lead and wailed to high heaven. When she was finished, he came back on, and got everyone rooting for her. Amazing performer, with a lot to give on stage, both to the audience and his band.
Just as the chilis came on i said to my friend 'these boys better be on top form tonight, cos j.b. could easily steal this'. Great gig, but j.b. won by t.k.o.......

Dan_chi_sau
12-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Dah da da da da da dat!

Beat my wife!

All night.

I've got you!

'I've cut you' would of been 'more cleverer'......