PDA

View Full Version : The internet is dead!!!.....:(

omarthefish
12-28-2006, 08:35 AM
For anyone who doesn't know already, the Taiwan earthquake has essentially knocked out all international internet connectivity from eastern Asia to the west.

It has taken be almost the entire evening to get this post up.

Please let our friends at emptyflower, truthmartialarts.org and elsewhere know that those of us in China are, for the most part, temorarily unable to post anything. I am posting here instead of at emptyflower where I mostly hang out because, well, I can. It took me about an hour just to log in. Emails from China are getting bounced back. Tonight was the first night in about 3 days where I could access online radio broadcasts but discussion boards are still spotty.

No serious effect here in China beyond internet connecticity but I just want to get the word out that we are essentially cut off. Can't access net2phone or Skype and it took tremendous patience just to get this post up anywhere at all.

Be well.

Omar aka Bailewen

lunghushan
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
In Seattle a little while back we had a big storm that knocked out power for a lot of people, so no Internet, no T.V., no lights, nothing.

Get used to it. LOL

mantis108
12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah, that sucks big time. But isn't that kind of wier that both major eastern natural disaters (the Tsunami and this earthquake) happened arround the sametime around Boxing day. Is this the Christian G_D's message to the world "feel and fear my wrath"? :eek: Looks like the big guy ain't happy with something.

Just wondering...

be aware and be prepare...

Mantis108

lunghushan
12-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that sucks big time. But isn't that kind of wier that both major eastern natural disaters (the Tsunami and this earthquake) happened arround the sametime around Boxing day. Is this the Christian G_D's message to the world "feel and fear my wrath"? :eek: Looks like the big guy ain't happy with something.

Just wondering...

be aware and be prepare...

Mantis108

Yeah everybody's gotta be Christian and send their $$$ to that guy on T.V. or they'll be destroyed by 'Christian G_D's' wrath. :confused: Who knows, if they don't, they might even die someday. :rolleyes:

omarthefish
12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
I must say, it's kind of wierd how kungfumagazine.com has become available but nothing else has yet. Yahoo won't open. None of the other boards I go to will open. My proxy server is in America so that won't open. Anonymouse.com won't open. But THIS board, while still very slow, at least doesn't time out on me.

Go figure.

The mysteries of server networks....

lunghushan
12-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I must say, it's kind of wierd how kungfumagazine.com has become available but nothing else has yet. Yahoo won't open. None of the other boards I go to will open. My proxy server is in America so that won't open. Anonymouse.com won't open. But THIS board, while still very slow, at least doesn't time out on me.

Go figure.

The mysteries of server networks....

Maybe it's secretly hosted in the PRC. You could do a traceroute on it.

SPJ
12-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I have a collegemate living in the Ping Dong area southern Taiwan. He operated a piggy farm. There are a lot of dairy farms in the area also.

The paper said the quake was equivalent to 6 nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima.

It would take at least 3 more weeks to restore all the cable lines under the sea.

So full recovery of telecom will happen 3 weeks later.

Japan calling India has to be re-routed via Europe.

---

A mother saved 2 kids and --

--

:(

lunghushan
12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I have a collegemate living in the Ping Dong area southern Taiwan. He operated a piggy farm. There are a lot of dairy farms in the area also.

The paper said the quake was equivalent to 6 nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima.

It would take at least 3 more weeks to restore all the cable lines under the sea.

So full recovery of telecom will happen 3 weeks later.

Japan calling India has to be re-routed via Europe.

---

A mother saved 2 kids and --

--

:(

It broke some undersea cables but there aren't reports of many casualties, are there? That entire 'release the force of' thing doesn't always translate to actual damage above ground. They consider the entire energy of the earthquake.

Definitely not 6x people died as in Hiroshima. It's a media device used for drama.

SPJ
12-28-2006, 08:52 PM
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=356893&lang=eng_news&cate_img=&cate_rss=

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/12/29/2003342424

lunghushan
12-28-2006, 08:55 PM
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=356893&lang=eng_news&cate_img=&cate_rss=

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/12/29/2003342424

It's interesting the same thing happened to telecom in Manhattan when WTC went down, because they had so much traffic going through one place.

You'd think they'd figure out that putting all that traffic through so few lines is bad for redundancy and fault tolerance, but guess they would rather save $.

It's always hard to justify such expenditures to executives when the $ could be used to pad their bonuses instead. But then when there are outages they always yell bloody murder.

SPJ
12-28-2006, 09:02 PM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2006-12/29/content_770707.htm

China daily called it the world wide web turning into world wide wait.

Yahoo, MSN were not available in China.

:eek:

lunghushan
12-28-2006, 09:05 PM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2006-12/29/content_770707.htm

China daily called it the world wide web turning into world wide wait.

Yahoo, MSN were not available in China.

:eek:

That's kindof funny because hitting China is slow even on a good day. Maybe that's why they consider what other people would call an outage, waiting.

omarthefish
12-29-2006, 02:09 AM
haha...

Found a loophole.

My internet is still slow as molasas but it's now useable. I just configured a Russian proxy server. My old standby sites for free proxies, proxy4free.com was unavailable as it's hosted in America somewhere. (irony) So I got to thinking about the fact that it's a deep water cable near Taiwan that is broken and why can't stuff just get naturally routed around a less direct route. I mean, it's all electrons anyways? It's not like it takes that much longer to head around the globe the other direction instead of shooting across the ocean. I just went to google.com.ru and typed in "proxy" as my search string. All the results were in Russian but I know what a proxy address looks like so I just scanned through the results looking for ones with numbers in them and started trying. Saw a familiar string of hexadecimal followed by "8080" and I knew I was gold. Setup Firefox with the numbers and now I can get into emptyflower. :D

Next step is to try and find a proxy that works faster. At least from this one I should be able to search English language lists of proxies sorted by country and start trying proxies in Russia or central Asia.

And btw, Lungshan, the Chinese internet is NOT slow. It's WAY faster on average than most Americans get. It's only slow getting in or out of the country. For me American web sites are really slow and Chinese sites tend to be blazingly fast. ;)

lunghushan
12-29-2006, 02:46 AM
And btw, Lungshan, the Chinese internet is NOT slow. It's WAY faster on average than most Americans get. It's only slow getting in or out of the country. For me American web sites are really slow and Chinese sites tend to be blazingly fast. ;)

That's what I mean, getting into or out of China on a good day seems to be slow. When you say the 'world wide web', that means 'world wide', so 'world wide', getting to Europe or something seems to be a lot faster than China.

So now it's slower getting out of China, essentially an outage, but they're saying the 'world wide wait'... maybe they're just used to the wait so they're calling an outage a wait.

omarthefish
12-29-2006, 07:10 AM
No.

Fact that I am posting here at all shows that it is a "wait" and not an outage. Even before I started experimenting with proxy servers I could post here. I have also been around for plenty of actual outages. China Telecom rips up a line or "upgrades" their service and the internet dissapears for a day or two. This time it has just been slow enough to make it not practical to get online at all. Take for example www.emptyflower.com. Even without a proxy, I could load a page. It just took about 3 or 4 attempts and a total of about 45 minutes to an hour to load a single page. No possibility of actually loggin on but I could read posts if I was willing to click on somethign and then go watch TV and at the commercial break, check back with my computer.

"Wait" is the right word. Email and posting stuff was impossible because that kind of slowness meant that you would typically time out before the cookies got into your computer.