PDA

View Full Version : Learn TMC

The Black Tiger
12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Is there any collages in the U.S that teaches TCM And Dit Dar.:confused:

herb ox
12-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Howdy, TBT! Welcome to the forum - I see you are also interested in Hung Gar, Chiu Wai is my Sigung and my model of the kind of old age I look forward to (I better start working out, eh?)...

Anyways, to address your question - there are numerous schools in the US teaching TCM - see:

http://www.aaom.org/45060.asp for a listing of all the schools in the US.

Dit Da training is usually covered only at a superficial level unless you specialize in it - there's always a professor who has the wisdom, you just have to seek it. Furthermore, the best training will probably be after you've completed your course of study and find a Dit Da "guru" to study with once you have the foundations down.

Good luck,

herb ox

lunghushan
12-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Check out Bastyr university near Seattle. http://www.bastyr.edu/

lhommedieu
12-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Dit Da training is usually covered only at a superficial level unless you specialize in it - there's always a professor who has the wisdom, you just have to seek it. Furthermore, the best training will probably be after you've completed your course of study and find a Dit Da "guru" to study with once you have the foundations down.

I found this to be true as well. I graduated from a 3 year acupuncture program; had I formally studied herbs as well it would have taken me 4 years. You get a solid foundation in Chinese medicine in such a program, but acupuncture and herbal therapy are conceived of somewhat differently at most TCM-based programs compared to the dit da medicine training that I have received. In a TCM-based school there is more of a focus on internal patterns (primarily treated with herbal medicine, and to a lesser extent, with acupuncture) and dit da medicine is a considered a sub-specialty that's taken as an elective course. This is a great thing if your intention is to practice traditional Chinese medicine, but for dit da medicine you'll want to spend some time learning orthopedic acupuncture, dit da herbology, tui na, zheng gu manipulations, and qi gong if you want to concentrate on treating injures. This generally entails studying with someone on a private basis outside of the schools - although there are certainly exceptions to the rule (and certainly there are other kinds of progrms, like the one that I attended, that are not based in TCM).

I have studied dit da medicine with Tom Bisio and Frank Butler and have found their program to be exemplary, and I've met a lot of acupuncturists and herbalists in the program that consider it a kind of "post-graduate" education:

www.zhenggutuina.com

Best,

Steve Lamade, L.Ac.

lhommedieu
12-30-2006, 04:13 PM

I found this to be true as well. I graduated from a 3 year acupuncture program; had I formally studied herbs as well it would have taken me 4 years. You get a solid foundation in Chinese medicine in such a program, but acupuncture and herbal therapy are conceived of somewhat differently at most TCM-based programs compared to the dit da medicine training that I have received. In a TCM-based school there is more of a focus on internal patterns (primarily treated with herbal medicine, and to a lesser extent, with acupuncture) and dit da medicine is a considered a sub-specialty that's taken as an elective course. This is a great thing if your intention is to practice traditional Chinese medicine, but for dit da medicine you'll want to spend some time learning orthopedic acupuncture, dit da herbology, tui na, zheng gu manipulations, and qi gong if you want to concentrate on treating injures. This generally entails studying with someone on a private basis outside of the schools - although there are certainly exceptions to the rule (and certainly there are other kinds of progrms, like the one that I attended, that are not based in TCM).

I have studied dit da medicine with Tom Bisio and Frank Butler and have found their program to be exemplary, and I've met a lot of acupuncturists and herbalists in the program that consider it a kind of "post-graduate" education:

www.zhenggutuina.com

Best,

Steve Lamade, L.Ac.

lunghushan
12-30-2006, 06:36 PM
If anyone is in the Seattle area and wants to take private lessons from a 'tui na' practitioner, I can point them in the right direction, if you PM me.

Some students from Bastyr have taken privates from at least one local person.

GeneChing
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (http://www.pacificcollege.edu/index.html) advertises with our magazine regularly now. They contacted us, so they are obviously interested in the connection of martial arts and TCM.

The Black Tiger
01-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Thank you for your responses