PDA

View Full Version : Coach Ross

Royal Dragon
12-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Do you think you would be willing to give a comparison between the fighting tactics of Lama, to Cha Fist, or northern Hong Fist?

I am curious to see your observations on the differneces, and the similarites.

MasterKiller
12-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Lama goes CRUNCH.

Long Fist goes POW.

Cha has been know to BLAM on occassion.

lkfmdc
12-31-2006, 03:03 PM
sort of hard to comment on stuff I've never studied (hong and cha)

Royal Dragon
12-31-2006, 04:32 PM
I was hoping you had been exposed to it, or seen enough of it around to be able to.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

So, since we have a perfectly good thread, which no does not have a topic, what should we do with it?

cjurakpt
12-31-2006, 04:36 PM
sort of hard to comment on stuff I've never studied (hong and cha)

and you call yourself a Chinese-style martial artist...

Lama Pai Sifu
12-31-2006, 05:20 PM
What is 'Northern Hong?'

I'm serious.

Water Dragon
12-31-2006, 05:23 PM
sort of hard to comment on stuff I've never studied

That's never stopped anyone else around here...

YouKnowWho
12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
What is 'Northern Hong?'
One of the nothern CMA LF styles - Cha, Wha, Hong, Tang, and Pao. Somebody said "Bei Chuan Nan Thran - Hong moved to the south and became Hong Gar" but I cannot prove it.

One thing for sure is the Hong Chuan existed in the northern Shaolin temple. Whether it has any relationship to the Hong Gar in the southern Shaolin temple will need some proof.

B-Rad
12-31-2006, 05:36 PM
What is 'Northern Hong?'

I'm serious.

It's a northern Shaolin style. It's part of RD's Taizu system too (they're related somehow). Here's one of the Shaolin forms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pccG7wtB-7U&mode=related&search=

omarthefish
12-31-2006, 06:42 PM
One of the nothern CMA LF styles - Cha, Wha, Hong, Tang, and Pao. Somebody said "Bei Chuan Nan Thran - Hong moved to the south and became Hong Gar" but I cannot prove it.

One thing for sure is the Hong Chuan existed in the northern Shaolin temple. Whether it has any relationship to the Hong Gar in the southern Shaolin temple will need some proof.

No relationship. I am sure just watching the forms is all the "proof" you need. If that's not good enough, there's also that the names are different in Chinese.

Southern Shaolin "Hong" quan: 洪拳

"Northern" Shaolin Hong Quan: 红拳

I don't believe there is any more connection than the coincidence of the names sounding similar. I ran into this problem a lot when I came to Xi'an and was introducing myself and my background because the second one, the "red" Hong Quan is a very common style in Shaanxi. You can see it performed at almost all events anywhere around Xi'an. It's even more widespread in Xi'an than Tan Tui. Even my own teacher who doesn't really teach Shaolin stuff still teaches Hong Quan to his younger students. Most people in Shaanxi, regardless of style, as kids first lear Wubu Quan and then Hong Quan sets.

Ben Gash
01-01-2007, 09:35 AM
However, the northern style Hongquan, as opposed to the Shaolin forms, is supposed to be far more akin to Zhaquan and Paoquan than shaolin, being a true longfist style.

Royal Dragon
01-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, The Hong, Cha and Pao Chuan sets are smoother than the Shaolin forms, but made up of the same techniques really.

I am wondering how Lama fits to all this from a principal stand point.

htowndragon
01-01-2007, 03:48 PM
lama destroys all.

its true, read jin yongs novels.

Eddie
01-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Do you think you would be willing to give a comparison between the fighting tactics of Lama, to Cha Fist, or northern Hong Fist?

I am curious to see your observations on the differneces, and the similarites.

Or.... Lama vs CLF.

I have only seen a few lama videos online, and has never seen the style first hand, but it seems pretty similar to CLF in some weird way.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks sir

Royal Dragon
01-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I have a freind who dabbled in Lama, but it's not his main intrest. He is good with the body mechanics and all, but he fights with the internals.

That being said, it's my understanding that Lama had an influance on some of the Southern styles, such as Hung Gar. I don't have any specifics, or details though, so that little tidbit of knowledge is pretty much useless to me. :o