PDA

View Full Version : What is opening and closing?

Fu-Pow
09-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Same as topic.

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

Mr. Nemo
09-12-2001, 09:08 PM
Opening and closing what? what's the context?

Fu-Pow
09-12-2001, 10:16 PM
Opening and closing as in Taiji. Does anyone have any links to this topic. Taiji is the art of lengthening. I get that. But I don't get the opening and closing part. Does opening/closing = lengthening/shortening.

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

Braden
09-12-2001, 10:26 PM
To my understanding there is opening the joints which is when you relax and lengthen properly your joints do a funky thing which feels really scary for a split-second the first time it happens, and then feels really effortless and good. And there is opening and closing the posture, which is really just what it sounds like. I'm not familiar with taiji forms, so I can't supply any examples you'd be familiar with.

EARTH DRAGON
09-13-2001, 06:37 AM
we have tecniques that open and close lines in the body like closing the centerline to ward off and things of that nature but I think you have to be a little more specific for us to understand your question in what you are seeking.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

EARTH DRAGON
09-13-2001, 06:37 AM
we have tecniques that open and close lines in the body like closing the centerline to ward off and things of that nature but I think you have to be a little more specific for us to understand your question in what you are seeking. :confused:

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

honorisc
09-13-2001, 09:37 AM
Opening and closing is usually referred to the stepping of Pa Kua.

If it can refer to the stepping of T'ai Ch'i Chuan, then it refers to pivoting on the heel away from one's centerline. Or pivoting toward one's centerline (closing).

There is openness of the armpit, arms, feet, elbows, fingers.?.possiblly the chest/back, even Mind; but these tend to be addressed by picturesqe terms more than the phrasing opening/closing. Also, in T'ai Ch'i Chuan there might should be a degree of opening/closing relevant to the eyes and mouth (lips).

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

crumble
09-13-2001, 03:20 PM
Opening and closing refers to the motion/angle of the joints. The more joints that are involved with a motion, the more leverage/power you have. In taiji you train each movement to involve all of the joints along the path of force to open and close in a coordinated manner. "Coordinated" meaning: when there is motion, everything moves.

So yeah, opening/closing = lengthening/shortening.

-crumble

Kumkuat
09-13-2001, 07:25 PM
http://www.iay.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/internal-strength/issue-4/how-to.htm

passingthru
09-13-2001, 08:00 PM
I looked at some old books (couldn't find my packed away notes) this morning.
When I thought of opening and closing, I did come up with the elaborate folding techniques. On the surface, it is efficient body mechanics. Then, there is energy circulation, and transformation of that energy into a form which lends itself into manifestation.
I do know that one part of the body which is of primary importance in this process is the juncture of thighs and pelvis. In fact, William CC Chen is known for the "bump and grind" he does at the beginning of the form. It was in my own experience of observing and trying it for myself (when finally properly aligned) that I realized an element of opening and closing, of collection and release, of folding and unfolding, to the extent that I could, in a practical sense.
It is my feeling that some of the answer to you question is not in the public realm.

passingthru

Kaitain(UK)
09-16-2001, 04:42 PM
Every posture must have opening and closing - it's not easy to explain it though, but here goes:

Every movement in the form has a start and finish - for instance in brush knee twist step you sink and open the Kua points (inside of the thigh area-ish), this is opening - then you step and surge across to the front leg, turning the waist across the lead leg to move one arm forwards and the other back (the brush) - the act of turning the waist closes the Kua point and the posture has closed.

When done at speed it makes more sense - opening provides the launch pad for the energy to be fired, closing focuess the energy through the hand. The waist impacts into the Kua point and this pushes more energy into the hand, the recoil/bounce from the waist whips the hand back again. This is what I understand fa-jing to be.

If you search each posture for meaning then you will find the opening and closing - I worked at this through trying different applications to 'feel' where the posture directed my energy.

Just my opinion based on the classics and answers to my questions...

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

swmngdragn
09-17-2001, 07:35 AM
Opening, in short, is the body expanding. Using *all* of it's joints, and lengthening the appendages. Closing is the reverse. All in perfect harmony/coordination of movement. One thing stops, everything stops. One thing starts, everything starts. Look at the way an animal moves. Perfect coordination of joints/limbs. This includes the back/chest. Nine joints. Nine perfect coordinations of movement. Harmony of movement.

Best regards,
R. Drake Sansone
(swmngdragn@home.com)
http://www.liuhopafa.com/
"Train, or go to hell." Terry W.

stephenchan
09-17-2001, 09:54 AM
Open and close are core Taiji basics that are related to storing and releasing. It isn't related to opening or closing the centerline for attack, and as someone else mentioned, every move must contain both opening _and_ closing.

For a simple explanation, you can relate it to the 5 bows - open means to allow the bow to release, closing means to bend the bow.

but there are constraints on how you open and close: too much and you break the jin, too little and you have no real power, coordinated badly and your jin is imbalanced.

You should be getting this from your Taiji instructor - if not, then your basics are not being addressed correctly.

--
Stephen Chan