PDA

View Full Version : Steppin up - training '07

Pages : [1] 2

stricker
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Decided to start another blog, I kinda enjoyed posting the little write ups after getting in from training, and i've got a really good feeling about 2007.

Well the 2 weeks before xmas i basically trained 6days a week, mma, thai or judo, plus some wing chun thrown in. Then had 2 weeks of for xmas and new years, went out nearly every night, was fun, but now im done and its time to train. I did a little bit of strength stuff with dumbells and some ab work a few times, but nothing serious. Yoga/bodyflow stuff every day.

Here goes, I'll post up some objectives soon.

stricker
01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
first day back training after break.

MMA.
warm up
2 rounds shadow boxing with 30s intervals of pummelling, jumping switch lunges mixed in. then 1 minute of superman sprawls.

5x3 min rounds on the pads
instead of holding after the pad change over did some tasty takedown drills

then a few rounds rolling.

Fitness was wierd, didnt even break a sweat doing the warm up but then ****ed by the 3rd round on the pads, think the superman sprawls killed my arms big time.

stricker
01-04-2007, 03:39 PM
MMA (judo)

rounds of standing kuzushi practice (grip the gi + take balance) then add foot sweeps, then add a few basic throws, then any throw/takedown

technique learning : rounds of rolling, 4 of us + judo coach. breaks whenever we needed to be taught technique, then drilled technique, then back to rolling.

then joined the no gi guys for more rounds of rolling.

stricker
01-06-2007, 06:52 AM
MMA.

warm up, breakfalls
2 rounds shadow boxing with intervals of jumping lunges and superman sprawls
2x5min rounds on thai pads
2x5min rounds holding thai pads

rounds of pummelling with lots of stand up wrestling. got schooled on when to try duckunders and take the back and when not to by a judoka, got thrown a couple of times...

then groundwork:
details on arm bar from guard technique, need to tighten these up in rolling.
drilled triangles
bicep crush/turnover
choke from opponent in turtle (feint taking back but switch knees and roll back into guard)

stricker
01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Weights

Sumo Deadlift:
30kg+bar 10 reps
50kg+bar x5
70kg+bar x5
85kg+bar 4 sets of 5 reps

Dumbell Bench Press (on ball) back to back with bent over dumbell row (same weight)
10kg+dumbell 4sets x 8 reps L, R

OH dumbell lunges
3sets x20reps (10 each side)

Finished with a load of sledgehammer/clubbell stuff i'm experimenting with using a weight on one end of a dumbell handle. then usual stretching/yoga/bodyflow bits.

stricker
01-09-2007, 02:58 PM
MMA.

warm up

nightmare of a conditioning session "to get rid of christmas fat". rounds and rounds of pummelling, thai pummel, wrestling for position, partner resisted march knees, wall teeps, kick pushbacks with parther, exercises like jumping lunges etc etc non stop for the whole hour and a half.

stretching to cool down

stricker
01-10-2007, 03:05 PM
MMA

warm up
3x5 min rounds holding thai pads
3x5 min rounds working thai pads

1st round all kicks, kept the pace up
2nd round hands and combos, more alive
3rd round MMA (combos into underhooks, takedowns, ground and pound etc)

then rounds rolling.

holding pads was a bit accidental. first of all i didnt tighten my arms up enough holding for a long knee and the hit went right through 2 pads and my top arm (arms X'd resting on lip of belly pad) flew up and smacked me in the face, got some blood out my nose from that. Then after a take down a knee strike from side control caught my elbow instead of the side of belly pad, so thats now in ice...

stricker
01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
MMA (thai boxing)

warm up,
2 rounds shadow boxing
few rounds of thai clinch wrestling
5x4 min rounds on thai pads
5x4 min rounds holding thai pads
wall kicks to finish each round

then sparring.

stricker
01-12-2007, 05:54 PM
also, i've been spending time the evenings ive had off building training apparatus, pics to come :)

stricker
01-13-2007, 06:53 AM
MMA

warm up
2 rounds shadow boxing with intervals of pummelling and jumping lunges
5x5 min rounds on pads
5x5 min rounds holding pads

then looked at some stand up techniques to get from boxing to clinch.

then rounds rolling.

stricker
01-16-2007, 05:38 AM
im ill. felt so weak yesterday i could hardly stand up and walk around, got up about 3am last night and threw up all over the bathroom. now gotta clean it up and my head is pounding

stricker
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
stomach was still feeling bad a few days after last post, so i aint been eating great and my energy levels a bit low. had time off work then been away on the road :(

but, i did swing by a full time mma school for a quick session. no classes on but did roll for a bit with a cage rage vet (heavyweight) the bjj coach and a big doorman who teaches standing grappling stuff. funny re a thread on the main page, on the ground almost none of his stuff worked...

anyway back to training tomorrow, considering doing weights instead of MMA...

stricker
01-23-2007, 04:27 PM
(tues a week later than the next one it should have been)

Weights

Sumo Deadlift:
50kg+bar x5
70kg+bar x5
90kg+bar x5, 4, 3. Bar was too **** cold to hold for long at a time

DB Ball Press back to back with bent over db row (same weight)
12.5kg+dumbell 4sets x 8 reps L, R (left arm nearly to failure)

OH dumbell lunges
1sets x20reps (10 each side)

DB curls (left arm only) regular, hammer, twisting x10 reps each

Sledgehammer stuff to finish off then bodyflow/yoga/stretching.

stricker
01-24-2007, 04:05 PM
MMA.
warm up, 2 rounds shadow boxing with intervals of pummelling

5x3 minute rounds on thai pads, one round out doing shadow due to odd numbers
3x5 minute rounds holding thai pads

then rounds rolling

stricker
01-25-2007, 04:27 PM
1. wing chun (1hr30)

then on to

2. mma/judo (1hr30)

warm up
kuzushi practice
drilled couple of throws
then counter to throw to suplex onto crash mats
then a group of us 2 at a time rolling supervised by judo coach. breaks for technique, drill, then back to 2 people rolling.

lonewolf
01-25-2007, 10:43 PM
i know that you are working on thai pads but are you doing any kind of straight cardio? treadmill, jogging, jump rope? when i was training last year the tread mill worked great for cardio. my last MMA tournament i wasn't even winded after my fight, breathing wasn't heavy or anything. plus besides your classes are you doing any weight training daily besides the few that you blogged? otherwise i can give you some ideas to spice up your training. on the ill days try a quick jog. sometimes things just need to get moving before you can get anything done. also astragulus and ginseng are really good for keeping your endurance energy and immune system up.

stricker
01-26-2007, 04:04 PM
MMA (thai boxing)

warm up
few rounds of clinch work + knees, intervals of just flowing from position to position and then wrestling
5x3 min rounds holding the pads, last round 6 mins
5x3 min rounds working pads, last round ran well over the 6 mins...

then boxing sparring.

last round on pads ****ed me. also did a whole round of lead hand work then struggled keeping lead hand up in sparring.

stricker
01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
i know that you are working on thai pads but are you doing any kind of straight cardio? treadmill, jogging, jump rope? when i was training last year the tread mill worked great for cardio. my last MMA tournament i wasn't even winded after my fight, breathing wasn't heavy or anything. plus besides your classes are you doing any weight training daily besides the few that you blogged? otherwise i can give you some ideas to spice up your training. on the ill days try a quick jog. sometimes things just need to get moving before you can get anything done. also astragulus and ginseng are really good for keeping your endurance energy and immune system up.yup well spotted. the answers no, but im *aiming* to do 6 days a week of mma training, which is 2 nights mainly thai, 1 night judo/groundwork, and 3 nights mixed. that should mean 4 days a week hitting thai pads and a bunch of rolling and clinch work. then im aiming to do a whole body max strength workout once a week. for me its about the weakest link and right now cardio aint it, my weaknesses are more fighting, strength and keeping my body working. all the sessions i do are very conditioning oriented anyway, everything is in timed rounds and every drill we finish off in a hard conditioning way, eg finish every round on pads with 20 kicks or 2 to 10 punches etc, finish clinch rounds with hard pummelling, last 30secs of shadow are skip knees or burpees etc.

i'd love to work out a better way of structuring the weights in, but time, soreness and recovery etc mean i struggle with it, and im not at that pro fighter stage where i can do weights or sprints in the morning then train mma evening... your right though i should try to add even just some gentle cardio, running for recovery, skipping for footwork

im all ears man, fire some good ideas my way :)

lonewolf
01-27-2007, 12:13 AM
when i was training last year i would jog on the treadmill 1.5-3 miles every other day. a month before the tournament i started alternate sprints on the treadmill for the rounds that the fights were in. if a match was 3, 3minute rounds, then i would do a one minute warm up, sprint 3 minutes, walk one minute, etc. i would do 12 of these. the way that i saw it was that if i was able to do cardio for 4 consecutive fights then i was more than prepared for one match. and it worked. after nine minutes in the cage i wasn't breathing heavy, and my pulse was steady.
as for weights i did the usual body building rutine of back/ biceps, chest/ shoulders/ triceps, and legs. but i did higher reps and lower weight to not interfer in the high endurance training i was doing. wrist curles were a must also. if you can get a tight grip in your opponant then it is easier to manipulate him to your will.
my flaw was the lack of sparring and couching, i didn't have a corner man with me when i was in the cage and that can break you in the end since they can see things that you can't. my underskilled opponant was talked through much of what he did and i was left to counter with no outside help.
i hope this little bit helps. i can write you more tomorrow when i have more time. :cool:

stricker
01-27-2007, 07:52 AM
MMA.

warm up
ton of conditioning drills finished off with 5 mins of running and punching on the spot with sets of squats, lunges, pressups, sprawls etc thrown in.

3x5 min rounds on thai pads
3x5 min rounds holding pads

groundwork.
top and bottom game with punches (mma sparring gloves). sparred 30secs top, then switch 30secs bottom. for rounds. breaking the game down into drills, when to stay tight and work body, head, when to posture up and go for big shots, etc etc, how to play the bottom game for mma

stricker
01-27-2007, 08:02 AM
when i was training last year i would jog on the treadmill 1.5-3 miles every other day. a month before the tournament i started alternate sprints on the treadmill for the rounds that the fights were in. if a match was 3, 3minute rounds, then i would do a one minute warm up, sprint 3 minutes, walk one minute, etc. i would do 12 of these. the way that i saw it was that if i was able to do cardio for 4 consecutive fights then i was more than prepared for one match. and it worked. after nine minutes in the cage i wasn't breathing heavy, and my pulse was steady.
as for weights i did the usual body building rutine of back/ biceps, chest/ shoulders/ triceps, and legs. but i did higher reps and lower weight to not interfer in the high endurance training i was doing. wrist curles were a must also. if you can get a tight grip in your opponant then it is easier to manipulate him to your will.
my flaw was the lack of sparring and couching, i didn't have a corner man with me when i was in the cage and that can break you in the end since they can see things that you can't. my underskilled opponant was talked through much of what he did and i was left to counter with no outside help.
i hope this little bit helps. i can write you more tomorrow when i have more time. :cool:same here im just writing up and gotta bust a move. having a good corner definitely makes a big difference. the tournaments you did sound pretty tough, 9 mins in one round then multiple fights per night? crazy.

the intervals we do for mma are usually like sprint 10 secons, jog back 20 secs etc for up to the 3 or 5 minute round then same rest interval etc..

lonewolf
01-29-2007, 05:57 AM
i didn't write that right, 3-3minute rounds, 9 minutes total. and the stinting sounds pretty good. i like to keep the heart rate up for the amount of time that the rounds are but that's my way of doing it. i liked bas rutten's philosophy on cardio, "if my fight is going to be 10 minutes i train for a 30 minute fight." i like to follow that because you can never claim that your weren't in shape, plus if he does beat you he really was better then you. sometimes learning how to lose is more important then how to win.
some guys i work with talk about how they wish they were tyson and other so called champs out there. my response is that yeah they were a good fighter but a horrible loser when it came to life itself.
it sound like you are on the right track. keep doing what your doing. as long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other you will get somewhere.

stricker
01-29-2007, 05:09 PM
MMA (thai boxing)

warm up
few technique drills

5x5 minute rounds holding thai pads
2x5 minute rounds working the pads, 3 rounds shadow (odd numbers tonight)

thai boxing coach held for me the 2 rounds, so they were hard. a ton of technique fixes to take on board too :o

stricker
01-29-2007, 05:21 PM
i didn't write that right, 3-3minute rounds, 9 minutes total. and the stinting sounds pretty good. i like to keep the heart rate up for the amount of time that the rounds are but that's my way of doing it. i liked bas rutten's philosophy on cardio, "if my fight is going to be 10 minutes i train for a 30 minute fight." i like to follow that because you can never claim that your weren't in shape, plus if he does beat you he really was better then you. sometimes learning how to lose is more important then how to win.
some guys i work with talk about how they wish they were tyson and other so called champs out there. my response is that yeah they were a good fighter but a horrible loser when it came to life itself.
it sound like you are on the right track. keep doing what your doing. as long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other you will get somewhere.cool. the 10secs sprint 20secs jog thing is supposed to mirror the real activity in a fight, as well as giving you more cycles of recovery. good idea to look up tabata for the theory of intervals, it means you can work harder over the 3-5 minute round than just a constant rate the whole time. your right though i decided tonight i need to start skipping.

oh man, learning to lose is a funny one. at my gym (apart from the beginner night) people fall into 2 categories either loads bigger and stronger or tons more skilled and experienced than me, so im constantly getting tapped out, beat up, broken by conditioning etc and im learning to live with the highs and lows of that. its like tonight having a really top coach hold for me i felt like ive not learned anything at all and have so far to go, but then its all good that the more wrong things there are the more im learning and thats awesome :)

thanks for the heads up tho, good luck with your training and fighting too :)

stricker
01-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Weights

Sumo Deadlift
50kg+bar x5
70kg+bar x5
90kg+bar x5
95kg+bar x2, 1, 1

then :
5x5 pull ups, kbell OH press (bottom up) left then right

then swung the sledgehammer about a bit.

i think im a bit ****ed at the minute, not getting fully recovered between training. ****ed off about deadlifting, amazing how much extra 5kg felt like. also the pull ups were surprisingly hard, nearly not making the last few reps of the last set. that sucks big time. but its a starting point.

stricker
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
MMA.

warm up
3x5 min rounds on thai pads. one round with mma coach, i was ****ed after that :(

then rounds rolling.

im going through an armbar phase at the moment, set up a bunch of them tonight but couldnt get them on, combination of being outweighed (im lightweight, both people i rolled with tonight were light-heavies) and knackered, and a lack of skill/detail in the submission and set up.

stricker
02-01-2007, 03:42 PM
1. Wing Chun

2. MMA (judo)

warm up, some ground agility drills, kuzushi practice, kuzushi+leg trips, drilled a couple of throws.

then ground technique. went over a few gi chokes, then the variants without gi, then a few chokes for either.

then supervised rolling with breaks for technique by judo coach.

then more rounds rolling.

stricker
02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
MMA (muay thai)

warm up
technique drills
5x5 minute rounds on thai pads
5x5 minute rounds holding pads

then rounds of boxing sparring.

padwork killing me again. ive been fcked all week :(

stricker
02-03-2007, 08:02 AM
MMA

warm up
extra conditioning/warm up - tons of sprawls, press ups, crunches, squat jumps, squats, lunges etc etc over 2x 5min rounds

pad work (holding, then working)
did pad man circuits, same volume of work as 3x5s i think

groundwork : striking on the ground.
bottom game : wrapping arms, guard, starting to set up subs/get position to stand up
top game : unwrapping arms, short hits, posture up/big hits, standing up, pass guard
etc etc broken down into drills, drilled for rounds. then put together to rolling with strikes

then round or two submission rolling to finish off.

yenhoi
02-03-2007, 08:30 AM
No standup sparring or partner drills? (Besides the judo..)

Whats the Wing Chun look like?

;)

stricker
02-03-2007, 03:35 PM
alright yenhoi,

check back, friday night is sparring night :)

there's usually bits of stand up drills mon, tues (not been this year), and fri's too.

also thai padwork covers a lot of ground. partner fires back quite a lot and defence/counter is built in as well as sparring reflexes.

aaah the wing chun... well im kinda letting it slip at the moment im focussing on the basics of fighting aka MMA. my wing chuns changing anyway so its on the back burner till i can do it justice

stricker
02-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Yoga

wow actually made it, pretty happy with the progress ive made since last time i showed up to a class months and months ago

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
MMA (muay thai)

5x5 minute rounds on thai pads

depending on the intensity that right there would probably kill me.

stricker
02-05-2007, 04:40 PM
MMA (muay thai)

warm up
technique drill : 4 responses to jab

5x5 min rounds on pads
5x5 min rounds holding pads

few rounds sparring. kicks+punches+clinch. got owned by a taller kicker.

stricker
02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
depending on the intensity that right there would probably kill me.trust me it does, the 4th and 5th are real wars. the intensity doesnt really matter as if your unfit, it kills you. if your fit, the intensity just goes up and it still kills you. good padman are sadistic *******s like that. if you havent had a second wind and your not dead by the end of it they aint been doing their job properly :)

oh yeah we usually follow a format like 1st round all kicks, 2nd round kick+punch combinations, 3rd, 4th, 5th round kick-punch-elbow-knee. at the halfway mark and the end of each round would be something like 10 kicks each leg, or 20 knees, or 2-10 punches and back down etc.

the hardest thing i find personally is the mix of padwork and wrestling (+weights). one leaves you tired the other leaves you weak. mixing em up just sucks...

stricker
02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
MMA.

warm up, 2xrounds shadow boxing with intervals of switchovers and pummelling

5x5 min rounds holding thai pads
5x5 min rounds working thai pads

this really is killing me, doing it again tomorrow...

stricker
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
MMA

warm up

5x3 min rounds holding thai pads for a new and slightly crazy french thai boxer
5x3 min rounds working pads, rounds 1,3,5 with mma coach, so worked normal a lot, HARD. last round with takedowns

then line drilled a takedown. i cant remember the name but its one of those running ones

then got a round of thai boxing sparring in

stricker
02-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Thai boxing

warm up
5x5 min rounds holding thai pads
5x5 min rounds working thai pads (coach holding, so just hellish again)

finished off with clinch knee sparring last 10 mins or so.

only 4 people showed up so the price went up from £3 to £4 to cover the room. isnt that just ****ing insane. these sessions have been great recently, been getting some awesome coaching. i just hope i last...

stricker
02-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Sat nite went to cage rage 20 in london. both fighters i went to see lost :( one or two good fights otherwise but pretty **** show

stricker
02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
MMA

warm up
5x3 min rounds holding thai pads for 2 people (harder work for me than them)
5x3 min rounds working thai pads shared again.

then got a round of stand up sparring in.

bit ****ed off. had a few days off for R&R (during which i did quite a LOT of yoga bodyflow stretching and tweaked something in my shoulder/back a little bit) and wanted to go really HARD tonight, but not many people at training, the other 3 pairs working were all prepping for fights in the next week or two, and then only 3 of us left so had to work 3 ways. also the padman who held for me wasnt very experienced so i couldnt really get my techniques right, combos up to speed, or let rip with any power :mad:

got home, bashed the heavy bag about for a bit then the stand collapsed after a long knee causing all sorts of grief. did a little ab work. put a 5kg plate under my head, nice little effect. wanted to use more but weights underneath pile of structural damage... then did some walking lunges with 12kg dumbells overhead.
what more could go wrong?

still gotta roll with the punches :)

stricker
02-14-2007, 03:56 PM
ooh nearly forgot. looks like im getting in the ring in a couple of days :o

stricker
02-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Muay Thai Interclub Fight

i did it, first time ever getting in the ring, 3x2min rounds full contact amateur thai boxing! interclub rules so no elbows or knees to the head, shinpads and 16oz gloves. the whole thing was a bit of a ****in mess really but everyone seemed to think i did well.

got quite a lot of good kicks in (despite NO warm up) and got a couple of knockdowns. i remember getting in a good right cross too. but then i also remember getting kicked in the head at i think in the 1st and eating a couple of uppercuts and even a dodgy illegal knee to the head in the 3rd.

the whole thing was a bit of a **** up though. some messing around with the match making, then they called me for my fight with about a minutes notice, just enough time for hand wraps, the other guy was in the ring waiting while i was scrabbling in my kit bag to find my gumshield. so i went into the ring with NO warm up, not even any shadowboxing or stretching let alone kicking a pad...

anyway i got a ****ty plastic trophy bruised up shins and a bit of a headache. time for a hot bath. heads a bit mixed up right now cos im just back in so i still dont really know what im thinking. another guy took a couple photos on their phone so will post them if i can get hold of them

stricker
02-19-2007, 04:15 PM
MMA (thai boxing)

warm up
thai boxing drills

5x5min rounds holding thai pads
5x5min rounds working hands on focus mitts (shins still hurtin from sat)

last round was 10 mins to finish up the session

working focus mitts was good, gonna try and get a round of hands in each one of these sessions.

bit of a chat at the end went over our fights and what we each need to work on.

AndrewS
02-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Jon,

congrads on the smoker, nice work.

Andrew

stricker
02-20-2007, 02:12 PM
MMA

warm up
rounds of pummelling, wrestling for position.
boxing drills
boxing drill into get an underhook -> pummell -> shouldershove to cross out
added dirty boxing and wrestling for position to pummell part
light boxing sparring to get the clinch to pummell for position with dirty boxing
1-10 jabs and back down, 1-10 crosses and back, 2-10 punches with sprawls between sets
partner resist march knees

then some conditioning stuff to finish, jog round room coach calls out sets of press ups, squat jumps, crunches, lunges, diamond pressups etc
stretching

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Muay Thai Interclub Fight

i did it, first time ever getting in the ring, 3x2min rounds full contact amateur thai boxing! interclub rules so no elbows or knees to the head, shinpads and 16oz gloves. the whole thing was a bit of a ****in mess really but everyone seemed to think i did well.

got quite a lot of good kicks in (despite NO warm up) and got a couple of knockdowns. i remember getting in a good right cross too. but then i also remember getting kicked in the head at i think in the 1st and eating a couple of uppercuts and even a dodgy illegal knee to the head in the 3rd.

the whole thing was a bit of a **** up though. some messing around with the match making, then they called me for my fight with about a minutes notice, just enough time for hand wraps, the other guy was in the ring waiting while i was scrabbling in my kit bag to find my gumshield. so i went into the ring with NO warm up, not even any shadowboxing or stretching let alone kicking a pad...

anyway i got a ****ty plastic trophy bruised up shins and a bit of a headache. time for a hot bath. heads a bit mixed up right now cos im just back in so i still dont really know what im thinking. another guy took a couple photos on their phone so will post them if i can get hold of them

congrats dude ... dont forget about the photos.

i get a little nervous when i think about gettin in there for the first time at that level.

stricker
02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Jon,

congrads on the smoker, nice work.

Andrewthanks man. it was a really great experience, and i now know what i've got to do and what fighting means.

the biggest aspect of it by far is the mental side of it. i think i handled the emotional bit of it well enough, i stood my ground and stayed calm but aggresive. the biggest thing i noticed was i couldnt think at all during the fight. so when i couldnt think what to do as soon as he stepped in i just went round kick, round kick. if he stumbled back i followed with a cross or a hook or something. lucky for me that mostly worked.

i'll write up a bit analysis later.

stricker
02-20-2007, 03:25 PM
congrats dude ... dont forget about the photos.

i get a little nervous when i think about gettin in there for the first time at that level.thanks man. yeah the whole "first time" thing is wierd. its nowhere near as bad as you imagine when you get in there. but then i tried not to think about getting hit, just focussed on dishing out punishment :D it only really starts to hurt a few hours later :)

oh yeah, i got the crappy after-fight pose shot. im the shorter dude on the right. as you can see i still dont know what the ****s going on hahaha

the mobile-phone action shots might take a few more days...

Ernie
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
GOOOOOOO brain tumor !

crazy ******* ;)

stricker
02-22-2007, 02:52 PM
wing chun.

stricker
02-22-2007, 03:19 PM
GOOOOOOO brain tumor !

crazy ******* ;)cheers bud just what i need to be thinkin about :)

stricker
02-24-2007, 07:52 AM
MMA

warm up

5x5s holding pads. worked boxing combos, lots of firing back
5x5s working pads. same again lots of hands.

picked up some details on slipping the cross and stepping off to body shot/hook. hips good but foot position needs work. also need sit down on my punches more.

groundwork.

rolled for about 4-5 rounds.

stricker
02-24-2007, 07:58 AM
oh yeah, ive been a bit of a slacker this week. chores caught up with me a bit, had to go away for work one day, actually the few days off has been nice. monday and tuesday i was still a bit too fired up from saturday.

Dan_chi_sau
02-24-2007, 05:31 PM
hey dude,
been a while since we spoke, nice to see you're blogging again. Well done on the fight, you're far braver than I am. How's the shoulder holding up? last time we spoke you were umming and arring on the surgery, but I'm guessing thats history now. Anyhoo, just wanted to check in and say well done for doing what a lot of the people here (including me) aren't too keen on doing........

stricker
02-25-2007, 04:23 PM
yoga.

always sets me up good for the week to come :)

stricker
02-25-2007, 04:41 PM
hey dude,
been a while since we spoke, nice to see you're blogging again. Well done on the fight, you're far braver than I am. How's the shoulder holding up? last time we spoke you were umming and arring on the surgery, but I'm guessing thats history now. Anyhoo, just wanted to check in and say well done for doing what a lot of the people here (including me) aren't too keen on doing........hey dan, yeah the bloggings fun. the most constructive thing i found from the last one i did was when i set objectives and self-analysis then revisited it x weeks later to see how id done. makes you realise how what you do affects what you can do. sounds obvious i know :rolleyes:

as for the bravery, well thats a wierd one. ive been training pretty hard so i knew i'd put the work in. i basically figured if i get beat up then its not because i havent tried and its out of my control, so fair enough. sometimes you just gotta say fk it and jump in there. i had no idea how id react. the main thing i did mentally was try not to think about my opponent too much, just think of him as a punch bag and try to relax.

the shoulder thing is postponed. the surgeon told me its not gonna get any worse, and that the surgery would not be any less successful if i postponed, and id had a good few weeks of no real grief, so i cancelled. it still gives wierd cracks and pops, and my upper body strength/mechanics are still a bit wierd, but im working on it. i havent been back to doing tons of poon sao though so im sure ive got a nasty surprise waiting for me there...

i suspect i'll bump into you soon somewhere or other :)

stricker
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
MMA (thai)

warm up
bit of an extended warm up, plenty of sets or press ups, sit ups, leg raises, squat jumps etc thrown in

5x3s holding pads
5x3s working pads

sparring, hands only

stricker
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
here's the two action shots someone got on their phone. they only show me on the attack, so not very interesting i really wanted to see my structure etc when on the defensive.

first pic (the kick) : looks like im a bit out of range, although could just be the dodgy phone camera lens. nice that he blocked with the wrong leg. i think my supporting legs half decently rotated too but im leaning back way too much. rear hand positions good though :)

second pic (the punch) : looks like he slipped it. it was even more blurry in real life though :) fairly happy with chin position, but id have really liked to see the corner of my other glove guarding it.

criticism would be appreciated :)

frustrating really. my hands are far stronger than my kicks on the pads, my jab, cross and uppercut are all pretty decent, hooks not quite so but my kicks need work in real life. in the fight it was the opposite, i was all kicks no punches. not to mention he was taller so i should have tried to get into punching even more, but he was a better boxer and more experienced.

stricker
02-28-2007, 03:38 PM
MMA

warm up

3x5s working thai pads
3x5s holding thai pads

then groundwork

5 mins of hop-hop-hop-squat to finish off

wierd session. we're trying out moving location from the community center with the grannies to training in a nearby full time boxing gym. they want to charge us double, and the mat area is tiny, so i dont think we're gonna go back. and we showed up the boxers working hands :p

stricker
03-02-2007, 06:08 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up
5x3s holding thai pads. first and last rounds were 5s
5x3s working thai pads, same again.

then a couple of rounds sparring

numbers were really low tonight so due to partnering etc didnt really get a high quality of work in.

theres another thai interclub coming up in a few weeks. im really in two minds as to do it or not. its really too soon for me to make the changes i want to but the next one after that is ages away, and now i appreciate the realities of it way too much to go in there ill prepared again. i really need to decide soon as well...

stricker
03-03-2007, 07:18 AM
MMA

warm up, 2 rounds shadow boxing, with intervals of pummelling and up and downers

3x5 min rounds on pads

then did some thai boxing stand up drills
drilled shoot in to double leg
then thai boxing drill with shoot/sprawl added in at random

then looked at some positional stuff from side control-knee on stomach.
rolled for flow, no subs, no holding positions, 20%resistance

things were a little crazy in the gym today.

on a positive note, weve got one of our guys who wasnt at training today fighting tomorrow coming back from injury, hes looking mean as hell, and is gonna bring a WAR to his opponent, win this one and its going big time for him :)

stricker
03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up
quick run through some thai drills emphasis on balance/coordination. hard :(

5x5s holding pads
5x5s working pads

conditioning to finish, emphasis on abs, few sets of 30 press ups, sit ups, leg raises etc
then i think 3-4 mins of hop hop hop squat to finish.

my padmans fighting pro or semi-pro thai in about 3-4 weeks, didnt really beast him enough, but he had me dead after the 3rd.

more talks from coach about fighting mindset and psychology.

also, went to mma show last night. despite showing some good stand up and wrestling skills unfortunately our man lost, got leglocked by a russian samboist, held out for a while and nearly escaped it, but not quite. the main event had sol gilbert giving a masterclass in mma stand up. got two of the sweetest takedowns, and dropped a ton of low round kicks on his opponent.

stricker
03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Weights

Sumo Deadlift
5x50kg + bar
5x60kg + bar
5x70kg + bar
5x80kg + bar
5x90kg + bar
3x95kg + bar

circuit :
20 x Dumbell Lunges (fairly light weights, hands up at head hight)
20 x Pressups (dumbells as handles)
3x through no rest

then swung my sledgehammer about a bit

its been way too long ive not been doing the weights. happy i hit the weight i did but dont think im getting enough volume in.

stricker
03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Been busy with other obligations and lack of sleep left me with little bit of a cold

Weights

Sumo DL
5x 50kg + bar
5x 70kg + bar
5x 80kg + bar
5x 90kg + bar
3x 100kg + bar
2x 100kg + bar

then had a **** about couple of sets of 30 crunches on swiss ball, sets of 10 bw scap pull ups, some press ups, kbell oh presses, lunges holding one kbell overhead in either hand.

need to sort my **** out and get this planned properly.

stricker
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
MMA.

warm up
2 rounds shadow, with intervals of pummelling and up'n'downers

4x3min rounds holding thai pads
4x3min rounds working thai pads

rounds rolling, man in middle, so got 3 rounds straight with fresh partners

finish off, 5 mins of hop hop hop squat

stretching

stricker
03-16-2007, 04:45 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up
3x5s holding focus mitts for usual mon & fri partner, who's fighting thai soon.
2x5s holding thai pads, same fighter again
then
3x5s holding thai pads, different partner
then
2x5s holding thai pads, another partner
then
2x5s working the pads

gave my forearms a good workout, all 3 are hard kickers.

my pad holding can always do with improving but i dont usually do focus mitts, need to step that up a bit. also missed my usual late afternoon eat, glad i didnt have to work pads too hard...

stricker
03-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Also, decided not to do the interclub at the end of the month. its a bit late now, and anyway its not long enough to make the changes to my game i want to. only bummer is the next one after that is quite a long way off. there's a sub wrestling tournament in a month or so im gonna do but i've kinda dropped the ball a bit with my groundwork, maybe focus on that a bit more for the next few weeks then...

stricker
03-17-2007, 07:08 AM
MMA

warm up
2 rounds shadow boxing with intervals of pummelling and up and downers

3x5s holding thai pads
3x5s working thai pads

rounds of clinch work. pummelling, wrestling for position.

groundwork. drilled wrapping up in guard to getting out to ****zer to triangle, counter to ****zer, some triangle defense/details.

rounds rolling.

2 new guys in today, brazillians from chute boxe.

stricker
03-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Yoga class

these can get quite hard for my 'recovery' day... all the little pains from through the week show up sure as hell :(

stricker
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up. big extended warm up as coach was late, calves killing afterwards...

5x5s holding pads. first 3 focus mitts, last 2 thai pads.
5x5s working pads. same again.

conditioning to end. circuit of press ups, sit ups, leg raises, leg bicycles, squat thrusts. then up and down the room on hands, partner holding legs up behind.

stricker
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
MMA

warm up

circuit of :
5 min round on thai pads
5 min round of clinch wrestling

2.5 times round

then more clinch work, drilled arm-drags, duckunders, ****zers then built into intervals of clinch wrestling for position from pummeling for rounds.

stretching to finish off

was late, so missed first half of padwork...

stricker
03-21-2007, 05:03 PM
MMA

warm up
2 rounds shadow, intervals of pummelling and up'n'downers

3x5s holding pads.
3x5s working pads.

2x5s pummelling, wrestling for position, 2nd round on the mats with takedowns

groundwork.

went over some details of basic stuff in mount.
hips high or hips low in mount - dont hang out in the middle, feeling when to move.
nice mount escape using feet, correct foot position to stop that escape.
getting everything super-tight, transition to japanese mount, to arm bar.
fig-4 other arm if they block the armbar, or switch to bicep crush, or switch back to arm bar again.

stricker
03-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Went to training partners matted-out summerhouse

warm up (not full mma one)
3x5s rolling

then drilled :
escape from mount to guard, sweep, then other person. started 0 resistance up to 80%
drilled side control
drilled rubber guard

spent most of the time trying to work out a format for how we're going to train...

then discussing promotion we're thinking of doing...

stricker
03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up

4x5s holding pads, lighter younger fighter so not very brutal for a change
4x5s working pads, same partner, worked lots of kicks less combos

session started about half an hour late so that's all we got done. im a bit knackered from last night, bicep hurting from a crush and generally sore as got to bed waay to late and didnt eat properly. BAD discipline on my part.

ZMA tonight...

stricker
03-24-2007, 06:52 AM
MMA

warm up
2 rounds shadow with intervals of pummelling and up'n'downers
4x5 min rounds on the pads
4x5 min rounds holding pads

groundwork.

drill : mounted->guard pass->side control->mount and swap, repeat
ran over knee bar technique

then rounds rolling.

AndrewS
03-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Notice anything off the ZMA?

Andrew

stricker
03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Mon.

no training, need to sleep after busy weekend.

Andrew,

Yeah definitely. My sleep's a bit out at the moment anyway... Sat night was out late party-ing then had to get up early Sun am to go to a thai boxing show (coach fighting, had to be there for weigh in) which was about a 3 hour drive away, and the clocks changed in the night, then got back really late, so im running on hardly any sleep at the moment.

but, the first night i took it it felt like i slept a lot deeper. only problem was i got woken up before my usual wake up time and was too awake to go back to sleep so the total number of hours sleep was less...

will see how the rest of the week goes, but so far it seems great.

stricker
03-30-2007, 03:31 PM
had a ****ing nightmare of a cold all week long so no training :mad: couple of days off work with it too.

but... been doing my usual obsessive-compulsive shadow boxing and think im in the middle of figuring out something about shoulder mechanics and punching. over the last few weeks my uppercuts have made a jump in their power and im starting to connect a feeling between the zing i get in jabs and crosses and uppercuts. someone explained to me the "steering wheel" metaphor in punching the other day and ive been playing with that and lots of different punches, trying to replicate the feeling i get of a good jab/cross/uppercut but at different angles and lines... want to get on a bag soon and play... bruce mighta been right "a punch is just a punch"... but im not there yet i just feel like im on the edge of figuring something out.

also been watching a steve morris dvd, some bits in there went aha!

**** i wish i was smarter :rolleyes:

stricker
04-01-2007, 04:12 PM
still got pesky cold/sore throat, but not 'ill' anymore...

went to thai boxing show tonight, 4 guys who i train with fighting :

1st up the guy who i've been doing pads with a lot on mons & fris lost on points. won the first round with far better boxing/kicks, but in the break between 1st and 2nd rounds his corner wisely told him to clinch up as much as possible. it just went to clinch knees the rest of the fight, my man didnt get hurt but lost a lot of points.

2nd guy, the other fighter failed the medical so no action...

3rd guy lost on points. started too slow against a taller opponent, but got some solid punches in. again not in any danger, and it was a comeback fight from a dislocated shoulder.

4th guy was headlining the show and won by 2nd round KO. put on a masterclass, pressured the other guy the whole time, perfect muay thai defensive structure when the other guy was attacking, then just unloading big kicks and punches. the KO was hook (right hand i think) from zero distance in the clinch.this guy is a MONSTER on the pads and usually fights out in thailand more than over here so it was good to finally see him in action.

stricker
04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
MMA

warm up

pummelling+rounds of technique practice+rounds of wrestling for position

boxing drills
boxing drills into underhooks
boxing drills into wrestling for position

boxing slipping drill, gradually freed up

thai kicking drill (start mirroring, block to switch leader, then build up to kick sparring)

conditioning to finish :
10 clap pressups, feet up on bench
10 rows (partner squatting over to pull up on, feet up)
4 times through
10 bulgarian squats each leg followed immediatly by 10 jumping split squats, 4 times through

stretching.

we did some other stuff too. im still feeling ****ty from cold and bad sleep, work was just a struggle to get through the day, and i felt weak and mentally not present at training. also last night i went to sleep about 12 but woke up ridiculously early in the morning, couldnt get back to sleep then fell asleep about my usual wake-up time then late to work :mad: i'll keep going on the zma thing but so far its effect on my sleep has not been great. im sleeping deeper but less hours :confused:

need to step **** back up get training properly again...

stricker
04-04-2007, 02:26 PM
MMA

warm up
5x5s holding thai pads
5x5s working pads

double-leg practice drill. jab-cross-shoot, jab-cross-slip-shoot type thing.

then did my own thing cos the 5 rounds killed me, im still feeling **** so i played with the floor-ceiling ball in the boxing gym we're now training in. tricky ****er it is! also our wrestling coach and someone else were also down with colds, apparently something going round...

at the end coach had me grab a silly light barbell (12kgs i think) and do :
10 cleans, 10 front squats, 10 push presses, 10 back squats, 10 bent over rows then 10 snatches. snatches were hard cos ive only really played with them a little bit with the kbell, but it was a silly light weight...

stricker
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Weights

Warm up with kb swings and lunges with dumbell in rack position

Sumo Deadlift
5x50kg + bar
5x70kg + bar
4x90kg + bar
1x100kg+bar
1x90kg+bar
5x50kg+bar
5x50kg+bar

original plan was to do 5 reps at 100kg+bar but not up to it...

circuit :
Dumbell swiss ball press : 8l, 8r
db row (same weight) : 8l, 8r
3 times through. 12.5kg+db bar (about 15-16kg?)

chin-ups 3 sets of 8

rubbish.

stricker
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
also, its easter hols here so wahey 4 days off work, but on a downer all the halls we train in are closed. shoulda trained more but bad planning and too many late nights having fun. have kept up my usual bits of yoga/bodyflow/stretching,

plus i finally assembled my new garden furniture. its a big tubular frame to hold my heavy bag without putting big cracks in the walls. also good for pull ups and chin ups. sorting out cheapo blast straps as well for inverted rows and trickier press ups.

after i did that i had a little play on the bag, but the frame is too **** unstable to kick hard. Next step is add in some diagonal members and bolt the ****er down...

then beat the tyre a bit with the sledgehammer.

check out my back yard ghetto training facility :)

stricker
04-11-2007, 03:14 PM
am.

circuit :
3 min of light thai kick technique work on the bag
2 min of sledgehammering the tyre
30 secs rest
3x through

pm. MMA

warm up
lots of wrestling this session
drilled a few different takedown variations from clinch and from jab-shoot in lines
then added takedown defence (eg sprawl etc)
then rounds of wrestling for takedown from standing/pummelling, no groundwork
then boxing gloves on, jab-cross, slip jab, shoot
then sparring boxing + takedowns/clinch
all done for rounds, swapping partners, coach going over technique details and drilling techniques between rounds.

then circuit to finish:
dumbell snatch from floor l then r, swings double handed
bw squats, lunges
barbell cleans (from just below knee), front squats, bent over rows, push press, snatch, back squat, back lunges
other stuff i forgot

its got some advantages being in this boxing gym wednesday nights, they've got weights which makes circuits more interesting, bags (none we can kick tho), and a ring. but, their matted area sucks.

stricker
04-12-2007, 03:20 PM
am

circuit:
3 mins on heavy bag, all kicks, light just working technique
2 mins sledgehammer on tire
x3 times through

pm

MMA (Judo)

ippon-seonage drill, to lift and balance then full throw.

bridge mount escape drill
guard pass to side control to mount drill
top positions drill (going round the clock)

then rounds rolling

learned/drilled a slightly fancy guard pass, apparently sakuraba used it in mma but it seems hard against a heavier resisting opponent.

got a submission wrestling tournament on sunday, should be fun :)

SevenStar
04-12-2007, 03:44 PM
let us know how the tournament goes!

stricker
04-14-2007, 06:47 AM
MMA

rocked up to mma training about the time everyone's finished padwork and rolled at about 50% with wrestling coach for about half an hour. went over a few places where i've been getting stuck and some mistakes i'm making.

stricker
04-14-2007, 06:51 AM
let us know how the tournament goes!cheers seven, willl do. someone asked if i had any particular game plan going in... i said yup i'm mainly gonna be choking people out and snapping arms :D

stricker
04-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Submission Wrestling Tournament

lost my first and only match, equal on points but judges decision was i was less aggressive :(

went over the video in a service station on the way back, so here's a rough play by play while its still fresh:

started standing, was pretty dominant there, then i had control of his head (thai clinch) with one hand and got his other wrist and pushed it right down and jumped up into a triangle. he was a bit shorter than me and we were quite low down so i went for it even though i'd never tried it before... NEARLY got it but i think he sneaked a hand in or worked his way out of it, i hadnt secured it properly with my other leg, but the one on his neck was in deep.

from there i established guard and started working. played my usual game : every time he went to do anything i was scooting my hips side to side going for kimuras, triangles, armbars. i got at least 2 armbar attempts and another really close triangle he just kept slipping out of. worked my way through the first few steps of rubber guard stuff too but just couldnt get anything to stick. he passed half my guard a couple of times which i re-established real quick just not getting a sub. one time he even got right past to side control, which i tried to take his back from but then ended up pulling guard again.

then he changed tactics, and worked his way up to his feet. i followed him up from guard straight into a single leg takedown, this time ending up in his closed guard. another guard battle, i wasnt very successful trying to pass, and he nearly got me in a triangle, which i passed to scramble to side control, he escaped to guard again... then he swept me (i wanted to hit myself for letting that happen) and had mount, i counted to 10 to rest while he was trying to get my arms (no chance) and a choke attempt, then 1, 2, 3, buck sent him off on the attack again and beeep! time!

we were even on points, but the judges gave him the decision, on the basis of aggression. **** :mad:

after going over the tape i decided it must have been because i got a bit more cautious when i was in his guard and then ended up mounted, 'cos when i had guard i was working like hell, then when he had mount i literally counted to 10 to rest as i wasnt in any danger at all...

(quick make myself feel better whinge : at the weigh in i was 64kg in a 61-67 bracket. my opponent weighed in heavy and had to strip right down/take a **** etc to make weight, and, he went on to lose the semi final to the eventual winner...but im not *****ing)

anyway it was a good day out and im stoked :D i was more nervous than for the thai fight which is wierd, and after watching a lot of the fights i thought the standard was really very high. i think theres another 2 of these this year, and i think if i concentrated on my groundwork and made a step up in my game i could do well, but i dont know that i'll focus on submissions enough...

stricker
04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up. double the usual - tons of extra sets of 10 lunges, squats, press ups etc in an extra running round the room bit after the usual.

2 rounds shadow boxing, with sprawls

5x5 min rounds holding thai pads. threw a lot of kicks back
5x5 min rounds working thai pads. terrible performance, bad cardio and felt weak :mad:

worked with usual mon/fri partner, its great, our padwork gets like sparring.

conditioning to finish. circles - everyone in circle, count to 10/20 then next person does till all the way round room, then next exercise. 20x7 = 140, so it was :
140 sit ups
140 press ups
140 squats
140 sit ups
140 press ups
i didnt manage anywhere near my reps, probably only half that. also had coach punching us in the gut at random during the sit ups, which was nice.

stricker
04-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Alternated a few rounds of kicks on the bag with sledgehammering the tire, some pullups and other bits and bobs. All over in about half an hour.

stricker
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
MMA

warm up

5x5s holding the pads
5x5s on the pads. wore mma gloves for a change, so hands felt super sharp

5x3 min rounds sparring. coach called out intervals of either just hands, just kicks, wrestling for position, or everything.

5 mins of hop-hop-hop-squat to finish off

stricker
04-20-2007, 03:42 PM
quick workout : kicks on the bag + sledgehammering, pull ups, kb swings, bottoms up presses

took the skin of my knuckles on one hand changing the bottle on the water cooler at work... no one was around in the store cupboard so pressed it overhead one handed a couple of times, then tried bottoms up style (really one-side up, using the handle) only its plastic and not very grippy, got it on 3rd attempt but only after getting bloody knuckles.

stricker
04-20-2007, 03:48 PM
MMA (Thai)

running late so missed most of the warm up

went over thai clinch. basic positions and techniques. different strategies for mma, thai boxing and street, and when to play what game (early on in fight, late on and injured etc...)

so did rounds of thai clinch wrestling, first flowing through positions, then fighting for position, then one person throws knees, other off-balances/disrupts as knee strikes, then all in.

4x5 min rounds holding thai pads
4x5 min rounds on thai pads

stricker
04-21-2007, 06:23 AM
MMA

warm up
4x5 min rounds holding pads
4x5 min rounds on pads.

groundwork :
rolling for rounds

then looked at an armbar escape and a detail on getting successful triangles

stricker
04-22-2007, 03:41 PM
aaaargh my neck is ****ed :mad: i think it got a bit wrenched yesterday rolling, most of the rounds were full on. i cant look left any more, and i woke up about 4 times in the night in pain. spent most of the day lying or sitting ibuprofen'd up. the pain runs from the bottom of my skull to right the way down between my shoulder blades, although exactly where it hurts depends on the angle i move it.

stricker
04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
4 sets of pistols 8l, 8r.
lunges

neck is nackered. if been giving it the deep heat/thai oil treatment and ibuprofen... it loosens up but i still keep finding places where all of a sudden it hurts like hell.

i hate sports healthcare in the uk. i can either a) lie and say the injury was within 24 hours - that gets me straight to a sports physio, or b) truth and go to doctor (x days) who will refer me to physio/ortho if im lucky more likely ibuprofen+rest. or c) pay $$$ for an hour with massage therapist/physio/osteopath etc, none of which i'm overjoyed with. this sucks.

stricker
04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
got a recommendation for an osteopath with a guy who i train with whos a massage therapist. went and saw him this morning. it seemed to help but no miracle relief yet, going back next week. driving there in the morning wasnt too bad, but driving back from work to home was a nightmare.

hmmm time for some creative exercise ideas, anyone?

stricker
04-27-2007, 01:06 PM
still ****ed. pain seems to have moved down from my neck into one place in my upper back just to the left of my spine between my shoulder blades.

another thai fight coming up too, i need to get this sorted asap...

stricker
04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
MMA (Thai)

late so missed warm up...

coach went over thai clinch tactics again and we drilled stuff, mainly co-operatively.
attacks from dominant position (plumm)
attacks from one under one over
setting up knees, thai sweep/takedowns
then added
escapes from domninant and 50/50

flowed through positions, practiced techniques, then practiced counters

neck still giving grief so i was out a fair bit and when i was in went FEATHER-light

then round of shadow, coach pushing us hard, tons of sprawls, squats, press ups, sets of 10 punches etc

4x5s holding pads (no knees/clinch stuff cos of neck)
4x5s working pads

the pain in my neck has migrated to down my back, and its only really giving me grief now with sudden movements or wierd head positions i can feel im going into

padwork was fairly light and not very fighty, more for speed and fitness.

had an awesome barbeque sunday afternoon, grilled the left over halloumi and vegetables etc for dinner this evening :)

also, finished off ZMA, and after a few days off it decided to get another months supply. definitely a big thumbs up from me

stricker
05-02-2007, 03:13 PM
MMA

warm up
2 rounds shadow boxing with intervals of up'n'downers and pummelling

no wrestling cos of neck, so

2x5 min rounds boxing sparring with thai boxing coach.

WinterPalm
05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I sure hope that you have good head movement and parrying abilities! I wouldn't want to get hit with some good shots sparring with a messed up neck.

I'd consider a chiropractor...I know they kill some people and they work wonders for others...I've had very positive experiences.

stricker
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I sure hope that you have good head movement and parrying abilities! I wouldn't want to get hit with some good shots sparring with a messed up neck.

I'd consider a chiropractor...I know they kill some people and they work wonders for others...I've had very positive experiences.it was cool man, my necks feeling loads better and only really hurts at the end of my current ROM (a bit reduced from normal). we were sparring medium/light contact so i didnt get hit with any power shots, but he kept piling on the pressure the whole time. my head movement sucks, but i sure got reminded how to parry correctly a few times :eek: :D

also i saw an osteopath end of last week and again today. apparently the problem was with the joint between one of my ribs and the vertebra, but thats been sorted now. also i need to work on thoracic spine mobility as there are one or two vertebra that are a bit stuck...

stricker
05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Weights

2 rounds on bag to warm up

Sumo Deadlift
5 @ 50kg+bar
5 @ 70kg+bar
5 @ 90kg+bar
5 @ 90kg+bar
3 @ 90kg+bar

5x5 bw pull ups

3mins thai kicks on bag straight into 2mins sledgehammering
2 times through, 1 min rest between rounds

10 chin ups and 10 OH squats with some scaffold pole for good measure

some stretching etc

stricker
05-04-2007, 03:32 PM
MMA (Thai)

road closed and traffic nightmare meant it took me over an hour to get there instead of the usual 15 mins so i missed half the session.

quick warm up, round of shadow boxing
3x5 min rounds working pads

stricker
05-05-2007, 06:37 AM
MMA

warm up
5x3 min rounds holding thai pads
5x3 min rounds on pads

bit of stretching. sat out wrestling cos of neck.

stricker
05-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Boxing

went to the boxing gym we train mma in on a wed night...

went for a run to warm up (10 mins or so)
rounds of skipping
boxing circuit:
3 rounds shadow
3 rounds skipping
3 rounds on bags (heavy, uppercut bag, floor-ceiling ball)
then around again a few times
quick stretch to finish off

session was definitely easier than mma or the crazy 5x5s on mon and fri. I think im gonna do these on tues and thurs the next little while, my energy levels were suffering a bit with 6days a week hard training, so two slightly easier days will be nice, while sharpening up my skills...

got the whole 'boxing is the ultimate in fitness' and 'well mate of the hundreds that come through this door only one or two ever step in the ring' bits :rolleyes: oh well...

also i had a full on fight with a skipping rope. i dont ever do it (just star jumps and running) so i kept flailing around. i think it was because i was jumping way too high but my calves now have about the worst DOMS ive ever had, can barely walk!!!

stricker
05-11-2007, 04:25 PM
MMA (Thai)

still in calf DOMS hell, no laps round the room, so warm up was shadow boxing (hands only) + bw exercises i could do (squats+sprawls etc ok, no switchovers)

thai clinch drilling (couldnt get up on toes, so worked kinda light pure technique)

5x5s holding thai pads
5x5s holding thai pads

no typo, held twice cos i have NO footwork right now, cant put weight over my toes... couldnt hold for teeps or anything with lots of footwork involved, so kept it simple.

stricker
05-13-2007, 06:18 AM
skipped MMA and did upper body conditioning workout:

circuit of :

2 mins hands on the heavy bag
10x kb OH press bottoms up. 5l, 5r
10x pullups

5 times round. dropped the number of pullups/had to take a break between reps in the last few sets.

bit of sledgehammering to finish.

mma show in the evening to see a few guys from my club fight.

stricker
05-14-2007, 03:23 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up
extra conditioning, sets of 20, 30 pressups and situps, then 100 squats, more running round room, 100 squats again, running round the room, then 100 knees-to-chest jumps. couldnt do them, calves FRIED... coach seems to know exactly how to kill exactly what's already hurting...

then simple technique drills, lots of shin-block to kick, block kicks to firing back etc...

then

3x5 min rounds working thai pads

felt weak and unfit :(

stricker
05-15-2007, 03:52 PM
MMA

warm up

MMA partner circuit :
1 min thai kick throwbacks
1 min boxing sparring, then throw gloves off into
1 min clinch wrestling for position
1 min sprawls

3 times through, 1 min rest.

then went over groundwork basics:
kesa gatame - broken kesa - side control - low knee - full knee on stomach - mount
for each position first holding it, then a simple submission from there, then transition to next position
then went over again this time looking at striking for each position and to set up subs etc, also basic defense etc

started low resistance, upped it so we were really tightening each others game up, especially in the transitions.

longer than usual stretching session to finish off.

stricker
05-16-2007, 04:02 PM
MMA

massively late to training cos of work, so missed padwork :mad:

quickish warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round hands on heavy bag

MMA circuit :
1 min guard passing (me in guard, partner trying to pass)
1 min mount escaping (me mounted trying to escape)
1 min sprawls
1 min guard passing (other way round)
1 min mount escaping (other way round)

3x through

then drilled a takedown counter to single leg.
added a knee bar on the end of that

fitness : intervals of dumbell thrusters. i used a 10kg plate. i think it might have been a tabata interval, it was _0 secs on, _0 secs off, but it was a bit of a blur...

stricker
05-18-2007, 04:45 PM
MMA (Thai)

warm up
technique drills :
parry jab
parry jab+return with cross
overhand right over the top of jab
defend low round kick - step off and shin block
defend high round kick 1 - step off and arms
defend high round kick 2 - outside cutting kick
defend high round kick 3 - inside cutting kick
defend high round kick 4 - teep
defend teep 1 - scoop it out, round kick
defend teep 2 - move body back
defend teep 3 - catch, pull on to cross
defend teep 4 - catch underneath

3x5 min rounds on pads

then sparring to finish. focus on using the techniques we'd drilled earlier.

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Are you fighting anytime soon?

stricker
05-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Spent saturday at SENI, then back again for a bit sunday morning. Wanted to get back for some boxing but engineering works meant it didnt happen. So, did some training at home

300 star jumps, warm up bits
2 x3min rounds shadow boxing (all hands + kick defense)
5 x3min rounds on the heavy bag (all hands + kick defense)
1 x3min round sledgehammering the tyre
1 min rest interval

hooked up my new Power rings :
5x press ups (feet on bench, body parallel)
6x inverted rows (heels on bench)
5 times through

1 to 10 and back down jabs
1 to 10 and back down crosses

i originally wanted to put the press ups and rows in the 3 min rounds but this was the first time playing with the power rings and i had no idea how **** hard it is to do the press ups on them, especially in a conditioning circuit

I guess i'll end up posting about seni on the wing chun forum, but anyway i hung out with nick for a bit and met alan orr. nick's great, we're so like-minded in our martial arts...

stricker
05-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Are you fighting anytime soon?yup got another thai boxing interclub weekend after next!

im a bit worried about my conditioning though, i had a few weeks pretty easy going, then started the build up before thinking about proper hard training, then lost nearly two weeks (the neck injury and the calf doms).

now i've got 2 weeks to go and I'm away this friday till monday... i basically got 4 days training, 4 days off, 2 days training, 2 days rest then fight.

i REALLY want to do this one, but i'd had in my mind the idea that i'd like to have made some real changes before fighting again. i know i have in my head but i dont know how that'll translate to the ring. before the last one i was banging out 5x5s on the pads and still felt ****ed in the ring...

we'll see how the next bunch of days training go, these interclubs are matched fairly last minute, but i dont want to have to wait too long before fighting again

oh, and i think ive got another submission tourney about 3-4 weeks after the thai thing, so i'll drop all stand up for a couple of weeks and hopefully actually prepare for this one :rolleyes:

stricker
05-21-2007, 04:09 PM
MMA (Thai)

quick warm up (not the usual conditioning bits etc)
more kicking defense/counters technique drilling :
scooping teeps out to round kick
inside cutting kick counter to round kick
outside cutting kick counter to round kick
body slip teep to right cross
shin blocks
catching kicks to various nastiness
scooping out round kicks to round kick
some others i forgot, but lots of points of detail to do with technique, hand positions, fight strategy and tactics etc... coach dropping wisdom as always...

then mixing it up, 30 secs one person kicking the other countering, then switch

partnered with coach so it was got close to kick sparring, but just technique/balance/speed, and no shin pads anyway.

1 round shadow boxing
3x5 min rounds holding pads for coach :eek:
2x5 min rounds holding pads for a beginner
5x5 min rounds teaching thai pad holding to a beginner, worked my kick technique/balance, couldnt really get into power or anything good with hands.

Nick Forrer
05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey Jon

Good to see you at seni and to rap/play

straight back to training I see. Ha ha me too. Feeling it now though...body is seizing up:eek:

stricker
05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
MMA

warm up
2 rounds shadow boxing
couple of rounds of pummelling variations, intervals of wrestling for position
drilled basic wrestling moves - arm drag, duckunder, ****zer
into pummelling, more wreslting for position

MMA circuit :
1 min boxing (with beginner so not sparring just jab-cross-hook-cross drilled)
1 min wrestling for position
1 min sprawls
1 min boxing

2x through, maybe 3

ground technique and drills:
broken kesa, to side control, to low-knee to postured up knee
a basic submission from each position, plus a couple more advanced ones

then some fitness stuff, run round the room sets of press ups, sit ups, jumping squats etc

then stretching to finish off

after i got home i wanted to put a couple of rounds in on the bag, but was feeling a bit mentally drained and couldnt get into the mood :(

stricker
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey Jon

Good to see you at seni and to rap/play

straight back to training I see. Ha ha me too. Feeling it now though...body is seizing up:eek:yup well i said i had to go to make it to boxing, just didnt manage it... still got some decent work in :)

the training you've been putting in with alan has been paying off man! still waiting for you to put up a seni thread ;)

stricker
05-23-2007, 04:14 PM
AM Training

quick warm up, 2 rounds of shadow
10 mins working the heavy bag, all kicks. not power, just technique/speed and bouncing into a kick from a shin-block or other footwork.
then 3 mins sledgehammering the tyre

PM - MMA

warm up
2 rounds shadow

MMA circuit :
1 min passing guard
1 min mount escaping
1 min sprawls
1 min passing guard (swap roles)
1 min mount escaping (swap roles)

2 times through

then drilled a sweep
added an armbar on the end of the sweep, drilled.

was really humid today, so gym was ridiculous...

stricker
05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Also, got some good news through :

i dont know how to use a calendar, i've got another week to prepare for the thai boxing fight. still way behind though...

stricker
05-25-2007, 03:22 PM
MMA (Thai)

tonight we arranged to do a whole night of sparring, but i had a work trip miles away today and family commitments other side of country too this weekend, so dedicated as i am i drove 3 hours to get to training tonight, and have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning for another probably 4 hour drive, all for... wait for it...

warm up,
did some counter/response drills for a few rounds, then
3rd round of sparring i teeped and caught my foot early and wierd and CRAAAACK! my middle toe on my left foot! the guy doing the stopwatch heard it the other side of the room over another 4 pairs of people sparring. i think i dislocated or broke the toe. anyway it ****ing hurts to put any weight on cant walk properly yet a-****ing-gain. im livid. supposed to be fighting soon so probably wont get even any running done now im away from training facilities the next few days

i did try and get another round or two of sparring in but just boxing where we stood toe-to-toe and didnt move our feet. of course that didnt work very successfully and i got my toe trodden on twice and it turned into full boxing sparring with me having no footwork pretty quick...

FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKK :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SevenStar
05-25-2007, 04:29 PM
man, that sucks. how soon is the fight?

stricker
05-27-2007, 12:40 PM
man, that sucks. how soon is the fight?like i said i ****ed up my calendar calculations and its actually 20 days to go... one's definitely broken and i think the other is too.

the tips of the toes are still pink but they've got heavy black bruising right around the bone from where it comes out of the foot to the first knuckle. they hurt to touch and wiggle. walking and driving are a struggle.

i cant see the thai fight happening now. i need to be training hard (2x a day, running etc) and specifically for am thai format&rules the next 2 weeks and i just cant see being back in training for at least a week or two, let alone teeping, and no way im gonna fight thai without a good teep... :mad:

stricker
05-30-2007, 03:06 PM
MMA, with broken toes

hands only shadow boxing through warm up
2x rounds shadown boxing with intervals of pummelling

3x5 min rounds on the heavy bag
3x5 min rounds light rolling with mma coach - pauses while he checked the stopwatch and ran the class...

sat out and watched rounds of wrestling with takedowns

groundwork : armbar drill, armbar escape/counter drill

conditioning to finish : dumbell/barbell circuit consisting of power cleans, front squats, bent over rows, push press, back squat, power snatches and lunges (skipped them)

in another wierd turn of events my martial arts journey might be making a bit of a radical change soon...

Dan_chi_sau
05-31-2007, 06:30 AM
awwww......i hate cliff hangers.

stricker
05-31-2007, 10:44 AM
awwww......i hate cliff hangers.hey dan, which cliffhanger you talking about, the 'am i going to fight thai with a broken toe' or the radical change in training :)

i wish i knew too hahaha

the radical change is about 180 degrees opposite to what im doing right now :D

thinking about it it might actually be the end of me, as it will be in ADDITION to my current training :o

stricker
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Weights

quick session

Sumo Deadlift
10x50kg+bar
5x70kg+bar
5x90kg+bar
5x90kg+bar
4x90kg+bar

circuit :
15 press ups
15 crunches on ball with 10kg plate behind head
repeat 3x through

then 3 mins sledgehammering to finish off

i had to be really quick today, no time to set up anything better for upper body :(

the plate behind the head trick and the ball definitely made a difference with the crunches, another kfm tip :cool:

having broken toe made sure i kept my weight way back on my heels doing the deadlifts :)

bodhitree
06-01-2007, 04:29 AM
that sucks about your toe. Speedy recovery!

Dan_chi_sau
06-01-2007, 06:23 AM
I was refering to the 'radical change in direction' cliffhanger. Hmmmm, i could guess, but a)i could be here all day and b) it may be something you're not ready to reveal yet, so i wont pry (even though i want to)......

Hope your toes sort themselves out for the fight. if its any concelation, I had a 'steel rod down the middle of the bone' op on one of my toes years ago, it was curling under itsself and made sports or running near impossible. What i got from this though, is the knowledge that although it was a little more brittle, and broke again a few times after that, it really wasnt a problem after the first couple of times...i played a lot of basketball back then and the last couple of occasions it was like 'oh....broke me toe again...hang on.....Im open! Im open!', and didnt really bother me too much. Hope it all works out. Or you could just kick the hell out of him with bust flappy toes and hopefully psych him out.....

stricker
06-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Bodhi,

cheers bud. its frustrating cos its such a minor injury, with the worst timing...

I was refering to the 'radical change in direction' cliffhanger. Hmmmm, i could guess, but a)i could be here all day and b) it may be something you're not ready to reveal yet, so i wont pry (even though i want to)......

Hope your toes sort themselves out for the fight. if its any concelation, I had a 'steel rod down the middle of the bone' op on one of my toes years ago, it was curling under itsself and made sports or running near impossible. What i got from this though, is the knowledge that although it was a little more brittle, and broke again a few times after that, it really wasnt a problem after the first couple of times...i played a lot of basketball back then and the last couple of occasions it was like 'oh....broke me toe again...hang on.....Im open! Im open!', and didnt really bother me too much. Hope it all works out. Or you could just kick the hell out of him with bust flappy toes and hopefully psych him out.....dan,

hahaha its not like some big secret, just i really dont know any detail yet, even exactly what martial art its gonna be, so i dont wanna count my chickens before their eggs or whatever... besides if it goes ahead the first post of the new training as it will be NOTHING like mon-mma, tue-mma, wed-mma etc i'll be a real surprise :D

cheers for the horror story mate :) do you do the 'grip the floor with the toes' thing in wing chun?

stricker
06-01-2007, 06:34 PM
yoga : did john davies renegade yoga dvd

then did a big instructional session : sbg's five point guard passing seminar, chris getz boxing focus mitts and erik paulsons focus mitts for vale tudo and rewatched some older stuff...

Dan_chi_sau
06-02-2007, 06:12 AM
i do grip the floor with toes as best i can, its the one tucked next to the big toe, so it aint too bad, it just kinda sits there and encourages the others.

stricker
06-05-2007, 02:07 PM
MMA

hobbled through warm up,
2 rounds shadow, pretty much hands only no footwork.

mma circuit :
1 min boxing combo back and forth (jab-jab-cross-hook-cross)
1 min sprawls (i did press ups with legs crossed 1st round, squats 2nd)
1 min boxing combo
1 min clinch wrestling
3 times through

then few rounds of pummelling and wrestling for position

groundwork :
drilled some techniques including a nice broken-kesa to armbar, legs x-ed round their face, comes on really quick...

then 2 out in the middle rolling till the end. got 4 x2min rounds in.

rolling was wierd. toes still hurt to touch and i sure dont want them to re-break, so i was super careful. had to just pull guard and use my heel or keep foot in air a few times, when i did end up in guard and passing i just got swept right away, cos i couldt base on it. wrestling for position was worse, got schooled by a judo guy i normally survive with and generally sucked because i was being very careful with my foot...

having injuries has its upside you get to learn a lot...

stricker
06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
MMA

warm up
2x5 min rounds holding pads, first all on ground'n'pound, second all boxing
2x5 min rounds on pads, same again.

mma circuit:
1 min boxing sparring
1 min sprawls (i did squats/press ups)
1 min boxing sparring
1 min clinch wrestling
2x through, 1 min rest between. 10 secs to put gloves on/off for boxing bits...

sat out while others did wrestling sparring with takedowns

then did 2x5 min rounds rolling with mma gloves+strikes.

still putting weight through heel on my left foot, so no footwork/balance. got partnered with a really good amateur boxer so padwork was tasty but got toyed with in the boxing sparring, took shot after shot :o

rolling with strikes was with thai coach so had a real 'fighting' energy. i was mostly in guard due to foot injury. again, got punched a lot. my forearms are ****ed now, im now thinking grip strength is even more important when trying to prevent strikes than in regular submission fighting...

having a hurt foot is getting frustrating :mad:

stricker
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
MMA (Judo) - went no gi

quick warm up

kuzushi practice
then added foot sweeps
then with any standing techniques (light, not full randori)

drilled a throw, hooking around the outside of their leg with your outer leg, drive through with hip. seemed similar to a wrestling takedown

then into rounds rolling.

tiring session, frustrated yet again with foot. felt very one-dimensional, played out and plateud out tonight :(

bodhitree
06-07-2007, 05:14 PM
drilled a throw, hooking around the outside of their leg with your outer leg, drive through with hip. seemed similar to a wrestling takedown

We did something similar to this, then if uke stepped out we went to a lateral drop (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/yokootoshi.htm) (without a gi it was from an over/under clinch). It was a pretty cool combo if the trip doesn't work.

stricker
06-08-2007, 09:23 AM
bodhi,

skillz with the link to judoinfo... at the time it made sense to me that if it didnt work to drop level into more of a wrestling-like takedown. driving the hips through was a key point to this throw anyway. i think it was ko soto gake (http://www.judoinfo.com/video/gokyo/KoSotoGake.wmv). but im terrible with judo...

while i'm here, i just remembered, at the end of rolling we briefly went over a side naked choke from where your opponent is turtled, you get your knee in their side, if they put their arm round your leg-nearest-their head, triangle their arm up with your legs and go for choke.

Also, tonight's gonna be a night off. no point going to stand up sparring session when my footworks in the state its in... actually, i might do some weights, i'll have to think about what im doing the next few days/weeks...

bodhitree
06-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I just added that link to my log, ha ha. Thanks

stricker
06-09-2007, 06:07 AM
MMA

skipped first half of session - not holding or hitting pads sensibly right now
groundwork.

went over a rolling transition from twister side control to take the back. tricky...

then rolling. got a few rounds in, including 2 or 3 going straight non-stop through the breaks with a really strong fighter...

then as soon as i got home :

Sumo Deadlift
5x70kg+bar
3x90kg+bar
2x100kg+bar

thought this was a good idea, but not feeling up to it...

****ed around with the kettlebell for a bit, playing with some ideas for "grappling arm strength" like slow halo's, isometric-y grinding circles in front of me etc, just moving it all around my body, up, down, etc, 2-handed holding it by the horns

stricker
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Yoga class for an hour and a half

struggled with some stuff with my toes...

stricker
06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
MMA

warm up
fews round of pummelling/wrestling for position with various techniques drilled/added in

MMA circuit:
1 min boxing sparring
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min sprawls (i did squats or pressups)
1 min boxing
1 min wrestling

3x through, 1 min rest

some more clinch stuff

then about 3-4 rounds rolling

stretching to finish off

stricker
06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
MMA

warm up

2x5 min rounds holding for thai coach. mainly kicks, i really cant hold hands for him...
2x5 min rounds hitting pads, beginner holding, one all hands, one gnp

then i did a round of holding low kick back for someone

then a whole load of rounds rolling.

conditioning to finish - 5 min round of sort of burpee things with a roll back, i didnt do the toe-hurting bit...

stricker
06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
MMA (Judo)

quick warm up
guard pass/mount escape drill

kuzushi practice

went over another judo throw. judoinfo's down but i think it might have been uchimata? the one where you really stand on one leg and kick your airbone leg right up high...

then into rounds of rolling.

only took one out till near the end something went awry with my shoulder (the torn-labrum one). it felt really weak, a bit of pain doing like the lowering bit of a dip movement, and some tingling in my fingers... down with some ibuprofen, ice on and fingers crossed...

bodhitree
06-14-2007, 03:28 PM
uchi mata (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uchimata.htm) is the inner thigh throw. You kazushi uke towards you with a high sleeve pull and use one of your legs to go up uke's inner thigh. This can be done on the hip or just with the leg, although classified as a leg technique.

My shoulders pretty hurt today, I'm going to class but don't know how I'll do.

Good training man!

stricker
06-16-2007, 05:44 PM
morning MMA

warm up
5x3 min rounds hands on focus mitts, worked hard and fast!
5x3 min rounds holding thai pads

went over bread and butter basics from pummel :
double underhooks - high and low
simple thow from both positions
defense/counter to double underhooks : drop hips back
if you have double underhooks and they drop hips, pull them down into ground
drilled those possibilities/counter-counters, made more alive
duck-under to take back
back-taken defense/counter - hips, pop their grip, spin

then a few rounds rolling

afternoon - thai boxing interclub. went to support a few training partners from monday & friday thai sessions, ITCHING to get in there

evening - went to see one of my mma bros headline a big mma show in london

stricker
06-16-2007, 05:50 PM
uchi mata (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uchimata.htm) is the inner thigh throw. You kazushi uke towards you with a high sleeve pull and use one of your legs to go up uke's inner thigh. This can be done on the hip or just with the leg, although classified as a leg technique.

My shoulders pretty hurt today, I'm going to class but don't know how I'll do.

Good training man!yup i think thats the one, maybe slightly different...it was definitely more of a leg technique than hip. my partner and i were no gi, so didnt pick up the sleeve stuff...

be careful with the shoulder, dont risk something serious...

stricker
06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
decided to have a few days off R&R from sat till now... regretted it!

MMA

warm up

1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling (various levels 1/2/3)

stand up clinch circuit:
1 min rear bear hug escaping
1 min pummelling
1 min rear bear hug escaping (other role)

3x through, 1 min rest

ground circuit :
1 min mount escaping
1 min keeping guard
1 min sprawls
1 min holding mount (partner escapes)
1 min passing guard (same as)

3x through, 1 min rest

then rounds of takedown wrestling
then rounds of groundwork

drilled catching a kick to sweep to kneebar
drilled nogi judo hip throw (ippon seonage, i think)

stricker
06-21-2007, 04:04 PM
MMA (Judo)

warm up

1 round kuzushi
drilled a simple ankle sweep throw
1 round kuzushi + ankle sweeps
1 round kuzushi + any throw/takedown

groundwork.

rounds rolling. 3 mins each, 30secs rest, 4 rounds in, 1 round out, repeat...

went over triangle where you havent got an arm in there and use your own arm (i got one of these rolling. turns out i used a slightly different technique to the 'textbook')
went over arm bar escape to knee bar (frank shamrock)
went over sneaky leg submission from standing in someones open guard, calf-crush/knee joint type attack

stretch to cool off.

stricker
06-24-2007, 03:49 PM
MMA

warm up

2 rounds shadow boxing

stand up circuit :
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min rear bearhug escape
1 min pummelling
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min rear bearhug escape (other way round)

ground circuit :
1 min mount esacpe
1 min guard pass
1 min sprawls (each person counts to 10 in turn till time's up)
1 min mount escape (other way round)
1 min guard pass (other way round)

we did i think 5 rounds of that, alternating between ground circuit on the mats and stand up circuit. this time my toes feeling a little bit better so i did the sprawls instead of just bw squats. these circuits are definitely not easy...

then rounds of sub wrestling from standing, no strikes but intensity up a few notches...

stricker
06-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Weights

quick warm up

Sumo DL
10x50kg+bar
5x70kg+bar
5x90kg+bar
4x90kg+bar
3x90kg+bar

**** knows what happened there, feeling weak :(

then it started raining, so my plans had to change rapidly.

quickly bust out 4 sets of 6 chin ups (the bicep ones, not pull ups) before it got too wet.

then circuit :
1 min sledgehammer in the rain, inside for :
1 min crunches on ball (about 40)
10x side bends w/16kg L then R
10x overhead/military press with 16kg kbell
30secs rest, repeat 3x through

3sets of 20 windshield wipers (lying on back legs up straight 90degrees, drop to left then right)
3sets of 20 lunges with dbells overhead (really light about 8kg)

then did some band pull aparts, band flyes, slow halos with 16kg kbell

submission tournament coming up in about 2-3 weeks (i forget the dates), would like to put on about 3-4kgs of muscle by then. dont know if i can make it happen. boiling 6 eggs every morning to snack on through the day... i'd really like my toe fixed by then too so i can have a top game and survive stand up...

stricker
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
also, got an email from my possible radical change in training. looks like it's not gonna happen, but i MAY follow this up a little bit. my whole training thing is a bit up in the air at the moment anyway as monday and friday training (which was AWESOME, 5x5s on the pads, hard) has now closed down due to lack of regulars :mad:

stricker
06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
MMA

warm up

1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling

stand up wrestling circuit:
1min wrestling
1min back escape
1min push pummelling
1min wrestling
1min back escape (other role)

2 times through

ground circuit:
1min mount escape
1min blah blah blah see older posts...

2 times though

then rounds rolling

horrible conditioning thing to finish, burpee with a back roll in it...

stretching

stricker
07-01-2007, 05:55 AM
missed session due to work emergency :mad:

computer outage means i'm catching up with these entries...

stricker
07-01-2007, 05:58 AM
Judo (MMA)

warm up

kuzushi
kuzushi + leg trips

then standing randori any throw/takedown no groundwork. did 2 rounds

then rounds rolling, from standing

went over a calf crush type submission from mid guard-pass,
a guard pass
shoulder lock attacking turtle

stricker
07-01-2007, 06:13 AM
MMA

warm up

round of shadow boxing
round of pummelling

then alternate the usual stand up circuit and ground circuit for 5x5 min rounds

then wrestling from standing into ground.

then just rolling to end

went over side control escape to butterfly guard
some other stuff i forgot

round of rolling burpee thing to finish.

I think the few days off and these hard sessions have done me good, the subwrestling tournament next weekend is at under 68kg and i was 63-64kg at the start of the week. I've been eating about 6+ boiled eggs a day, protein shake after training, cottage cheese before bed etc etc and i got on the scales at 68 this morning :)

toe STILL giving grief, can't do really shoot in for takedowns as it puts too much pressure on it, but ive been getting good at landing in a good position from a takedown

stricker
07-03-2007, 02:13 PM
MMA

warm up

4x5 min rounds, alternate ground circuit with stand up circuit

ground :1 min each of mount escape, pass guard, sprawls, hold mount, keep guard
stand up : 1 min each of wrestle for position, back escape, push pummell, wrestle, back keep/lift

then out rolling.

then sick burpee with back roll thing and stretching to finish

stricker
07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
MMA

warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling

4x5 min rounds of wrestling circuits (ground and standing) same as last few weeks

then rounds of grappling from standing to takedowns
then rounds with groundwork
then rounds pure groundwork

rolling burpee thing to finish

got home, 3 sets of 10 chin ups (the bicep ones) while cooking...

stricker
07-05-2007, 04:53 PM
MMA (Judo)

pure no-gi session

warm up
1 round pummelling

4x5 min rounds of wrestling circuits, alternate :

A :
1 min wrestle for position
1 min back escape
1 min take turns to shoot in and pick up partner
1 min wrestle for position
1 min back hold and lift

B:
1 min side control
1 min pass guard
1 min sprawls
1 min side control escape
1 min hold guard

1 min rest.

then rounds rolling

went over some bread and butter techniques, armbars, triangles, made sure we were getting details correct and drilled a bit for slickness...

went over a nice turnover into choke from half butterfly guard.

stricker
07-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Submission Wrestling Tournament (my 2nd...)

weighed in at 65.5kg for under 67kg, all good, but i was feeling a bit fcking lethargic to be honest. had to get up way too early and drive 2 hours+

Match #1

Won by KO :D Pretty quickly got the guy in a triangle, but he wasn't tapping so i straightened out his arm to see if that'd make him tap, had it hyperextended but couldnt get much more than just my arm pushing his wrist out with his upper arm against my thigh. I asked the ref if it was safe to continue, as i felt i could have easily damaged his elbow but he said carry on, and this guy wasnt giving in easy. So, just held on to the triangle and before long his eyes glazed over and rolled back and the ref stopped it.

He must have only been out for a few seconds but when he came round he was LIVID, having a go at the ref saying how he broke out of my triangle, when i'd completely let go after the ref said to. Just after i let go he was shaking and stuff and even had foam coming out of his mouth, even people in the stands said they could see he'd gone out...

Match #2 - semi final.

This was a tough match. This guy won the tournament last time back in April, and we had a bit of a stare down which was funny... Anyway after shaking hands and a bit of clinching (**** his grip was STRONG) he shot in and took me down with a single leg, then i got guard and tried a guillotine, couldnt get it. he passed to half guard, didnt let him pass the other leg, then we came up to knees. he then bust a very nice arm drag to take my back. ****! while i was busy defending the choke he worked to get a body triangle. battle for the choke ensues, he couldnt get anywhere near it. rolled all over the place, me on top him on top, sides etc, his legs were secure and i had super choke defense... i knew i'd lost but no way he was gonna sub me... then i was a bit risky defending the triangle and pushed is arm right away from me, which he then took and went into a triangle. i had my hand in there to defend it, but he eventually forced it out and got the choke on, i had to tap. seeing stars and a bit dizzy hahaha.

i had to hand it to him he was a **** good wrestler, really strong and explosive.

Match #3 i got called back to the mats for the playoffs. this was to decide 3rd place/bronze.

I almost didnt bother with this, just didnt feel like getting on the mat for it. the last guy really tired me out and i didnt feel up for another battle. anyway i cant remember exactly what happened and only got the end of it on video, but i ended up with him in a triangle pretty quickly (yet again). this one though his arm wasnt straight and his hand went back in the triangle (point of his elbow pointing out) to defend the choke. no way i could get the arm out, the choke wasnt coming on, tried putting my forearm in his neck, wrapped my arms round the back of it, spun and rolled around to get better position, tightened it up with my hands, everything...

it started to get ridiculous when points scoring started after the first 3 mins but i was already in the position so didnt pick up 3pts for the sub attempt... i chatted away to the ref about the points, talked to a few teammates about how to finish him off etc, this carried on for ages, hard work on my legs and arms... he was going a bit wierd at this point grunting and stuff, thought maybe he'd go out like the first guy, but no

then he decided to pick me up, but in novice/intermediate there were no slams, so i was a bit confused. instead he started spinning round on the spot with me wrapped round his head up at head height. he was really growling and stuff and i thought he'd gone a bit mental or something so let go and spun off onto the mat...

dizzy when i got up and he was straight on the attack, really going nuts growling and screwing his face up hahaha. anyway he came in once and i was ****in nackered and really just wanted a lie down, so pulled him down into butterfly guard when he came in, -1 point! moved to full guard, he tried passing, no chance, i tried my favourite triangle set up, no where near, then the horn went, end...

bit annoyed i lost on a stupid minus point when really i should have subbed him early on, but i really didnt want to be in that last match, head or heart wasnt in it.

all in all a fun day. dont know why but i felt really lethargic, just didnt attack at all, relied on old favourites. the armdrag was annoying as thats one of my moves and i usually defend it pretty well, also disappointed i got tapped with the triangle as i thought i could hold him off for the time.

the turn out was smaller than the last one, i would have liked to have worked harder to get 4th, but i did think i deserved it. i think the guy i lost to in the semi and the guy who beat him in the final were definitely better than me, but the guy who came third i really should have beaten. on a better day i think my 2nd match would have been really exciting but he still would have won.

stricker
07-08-2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVAVgUbYqeU

didn't get the one of me choking the guy out on video :( i think the organisers are going to put their footage of it up though...

Nick Forrer
07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey Jon

great fights!

Your guard is looking slick

Was gonna compete myself in advanced but one of my class mates decided it would a be good idea to pop my arm on wed so I wasnt fight ready

But went and trained with Alan in York all weekend anyway so it was all good in the end. How did brasa do?

Mr Punch
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Can't watch the vid yet, but that description of the third fight had me chortling... sounds like a right head-the-ball!

stricker
07-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Hey Jon

great fights!

Your guard is looking slick

Was gonna compete myself in advanced but one of my class mates decided it would a be good idea to pop my arm on wed so I wasnt fight ready

But went and trained with Alan in York all weekend anyway so it was all good in the end. How did brasa do?hey nick

its funny i was looking out for you. I even went over to mat 3 when they were calling 'Nick Forriere to mat number 3' over the PA :p

sorry to hear about the elbow, hope it sorts itself out before long...

re my guard - its wierd i feel i made a lot of improvement from the first tournament (the first bit, the view from mat side) to the second, and i was getting really slick in the gym, giving some good people real grief. my general tactic is to be very mobile, scooting hips out and about hunting for subs, but then tighten up and go for rubber stuff when i want to conserve energy before being explosive. pity it didnt come out at all at the weekend :(

sorry i've no idea how brasa did mate, i was busy with team mates etc and i dont really follow the bjj scene... London Shoot did well as usual, i think all of my matches were with guys from there. I cant remember the head coaches name from there but my biggest compliments were from him shouting instructions at my opponents mid-match :)

laters!

stricker
07-09-2007, 05:06 AM
Can't watch the vid yet, but that description of the third fight had me chortling... sounds like a right head-the-ball!that was the middle bit of the clip, starts on the edge of the mat with a triangle (didnt get the 1st bit) and ends with me spun off and then clinching in again.

Knifefighter
07-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Striker:
You looked absolutely great for that only being your second tourney. Killer guard work... lots of mobility and hunting for the submissions.

I'd say at this point in your game you've got two ways to go:

- If you want to be well rounded and use your grappling for realistic fighting or MMA, start to concentrate a little more on your takedowns and top game.

- Looks like you are a natural guard player. If your main goal is winning submssion grappling competitions, keep working on your guard and don't worry too much about your takedowns and top game. Focus on developing a sick guard and jump guard as soon as you can when you compete.

stricker
07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Striker:
You looked absolutely great for that only being your second tourney. Killer guard work... lots of mobility and hunting for the submissions.

I'd say at this point in your game you've got two ways to go:

- If you want to be well rounded and use your grappling for realistic fighting or MMA, start to concentrate a little more on your takedowns and top game.

- Looks like you are a natural guard player. If your main goal is winning submssion grappling competitions, keep working on your guard and don't worry too much about your takedowns and top game. Focus on developing a sick guard and jump guard as soon as you can when you compete.thanks dale :) i was expecting to get heckled a bit more hahaha. not to mention good to hear from a certified bjj black belt...

the answer's #1 all the way. to be fair i noticed how 1-dimensional my game is a little while ago, and have tried to remedy that a bit, but it didnt come out on the day. one problem is nearly all the guys i roll with are heavier than me so i tend to get put on my back pretty quickly...also the broken toe meant no shooting in training recently...

Knifefighter
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
the answer's #1 all the way. to be fair i noticed how 1-dimensional my game is a little while ago, and have tried to remedy that a bit, but it didnt come out on the day.

If you have the time, you might think about supplementing your submission work with some straight wrestling. I don't know how it works in the UK, but over here you can jump in and train with a lot of high school or college wrestling programs.

BTW, with whom do you do your ground training?

stricker
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
MMA

warm up

basic techniques: taught technique, drilled little/no resistance :
the pummell, double underhooks, 2 escapes
standing clinch back escape (2.5 variations)
mount escape
guard pass

including basics of positioins like mount, guard, posture in guard etc

then wrestling ciruits

1 round standing clinch, 1 round ground, 1 round standing clinch

ground : 1 min each of mount escape, guard pass, sprawls, mount hold, guard hold
standing : 1 min each of wrestle for position, back escape, push pummell, wrestle, back hold

then got 2 rounds rolling in. got 2 triangles. this is getting silly!

stretching

stricker
07-10-2007, 01:48 PM
If you have the time, you might think about supplementing your submission work with some straight wrestling. I don't know how it works in the UK, but over here you can jump in and train with a lot of high school or college wrestling programs.

BTW, with whom do you do your ground training?ROTFLMAO dude, there is no such thing as high school or collegiate wrestling in the UK. It doesnt exist. I think you can actually count on one hand the number of clubs in the whole country that teach genuine (non-submission) wrestling. I can only think of 2.

I do all my ground training with my MMA club. We've got a few coaches with a mixture of submission wrestling, judo, a little bjj and some csw, oh and one of the coaches trained for years at one of the 2 wrestling places.

Nick Forrer
07-11-2007, 03:12 AM
ROTFLMAO dude, there is no such thing as high school or collegiate wrestling in the UK. It doesnt exist. I think you can actually count on one hand the number of clubs in the whole country that teach genuine (non-submission) wrestling. I can only think of 2.

I do all my ground training with my MMA club. We've got a few coaches with a mixture of submission wrestling, judo, a little bjj and some csw, oh and one of the coaches trained for years at one of the 2 wrestling places.

This is one of my biggest gripes. The way wrestling has been done down in this country (compared to the USA for example). The book 'the last wrestlers' by Marcus Trower talks about this.

Your only real chance for good wrestling in London for example is from guys who are basically not English: Mainly Polish and Iranian guys who are living and working here and who wrestled back home.

bodhitree
07-11-2007, 09:14 AM
It's not easy for post high school americans. I personally don't know many programs for wrestling that are not school related. A few submission grapplers will help with wreslting in practice sessions, but beyond that....

I'm hoping that my graduate school will have a wrestling 'club', the school has a D1 wrestling team, but walk ons who never wrestled in high school are highly unlikely to make it.

stricker
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
MMA

warm up
1 round shadow boxing, 1 round pummelling, 1 round drill basics (arm drag, duckunder etc) off pummell

partner circuit A :
one person has thai pads/focus mitts, other MMA gloves
1 min boxing combo into shoot and pick up, then pads/mitts off into
1 min sprawls. then pads/mitts back on into
1 min boxing combo into shoot and pick up, pads/mitts off into

B :
1 min each of mount escape, pass guard, sprawls, mount hold, guard hold

4x5 min rounds alternating A, B, 1 min rest between circuits

then drilled double-leg takedown off jab

groundwork,
everyone pretty nackered so we went easy and just went over a few techniques :
eddie bravo escape from side control to butterfly guard
various ways of finishing off a triangle you cant get on properly (eg crawl backwards using shoulder blades to flatten them out)

stretching and **** talking to finish off

stricker
07-11-2007, 02:23 PM
This is one of my biggest gripes. The way wrestling has been done down in this country (compared to the USA for example). The book 'the last wrestlers' by Marcus Trower talks about this.

Your only real chance for good wrestling in London for example is from guys who are basically not English: Mainly Polish and Iranian guys who are living and working here and who wrestled back home.Thats true, we had a guy show up at training for a couple of weeks who was an ex-russian wrestling champ who showed us some awesome stuff. Pity he didnt stay longer...

stricker
07-12-2007, 03:05 PM
MMA (Judo)

warm up
kuzushi
went over leg trips
kuzushi + leg trips
went over standing chokes and arm locks
kuzushi + standing chokes and arm locks (mainly with gi)

groundwork.
rounds rolling.

went over some techniques, defended armbar finishes like bicep crush, switch to triangle, break grip open etc

Then home and :

Sumo Deadlift
5x 50kg+bar
5x 70kg+bar
5x 80kg+bar
5x 90kg+bar
5x 95kg+bar
3x 95kg+bar

2x3 min rounds of hands on the heavy bag.

stricker
07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Systema seminar with Mikhail Ryabko

6 hours. got punched to the body a lot, rolled around on a hard gym floor a fair bit, and did a lot of super slow knucle pushups, squats and leg raises. main topic was striking, with lots of emphasis on correct alignment, and structure/pressure points on the body to nullify force.

stricker
07-17-2007, 01:50 PM
MMA

Coach was away and no one else about so a few fighters did their own thing padwork and mma sparring/drills in the corner while coach had asked me and another fighter to take the main beginners class :eek:

warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling

taught clinch/wrestling basics :
arm drag
duckunder
drilled each from pummell

then 2x 5 min circuits:
1 min pummelling 1st time round, wrestling for position 2nd time round
1 min back escape
1 min sprawls
1 min pummelling 1st time round, wrestling for position 2nd time round
1 min back escape (other way round)
1 min rest, repeat...

groundwork
guard position
guillotine from guard
switching from guillotine to kimura, setting up and feinting for it. (one of my faves)
wrapping up top mans arms, breaking their posture down (thinking about striking)
top man breaks arms out of wrap up (various tricks) and postures up (as if to strike)
basic mount escape

then 2x5 min circuits :
1 min mount escape
1 min guard person wraps up and breaks down top person, who postures up
1 min sprawls
1 min guard wrap up/break down (other way round)
1 min rest and repeat...

wheelbarrow walk with partner 2x up and down the hall, then swap and other person does 2x

stretching

went surprisingly well seeing as we made the lesson up on the spot...

stricker
07-17-2007, 01:59 PM
then got home and did weights :

Sumo DL
10x 50kg+bar
5x 70kg+bar
5x 90kg+bar
3x100kg+bar
2x105kg+bar
2x105kg+bar
2x105kg+bar
1x105kg+bar

Did some slow grinding halo's with 16kg kbell.

2 sets of 20 lunges, 10kg dbells overhead.

sets of thai kicks on the bag between everything

stricker
07-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Back from holiday. Lots of walking and stretching/bodyflow/yoga bits, but nothing hard...

MMA

warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling + coach calling out armdrags, duckunders, dropping to single-leg etc

2x 5min rounds of : wrestle for position, back control, push pummell, wrestle, back control
2nd round push pummell was sprawls

then just did ground technique the rest of the session :

basic triangle setups
answer to my comp triangle failure (hand still in so their elbows pointing out) : feed one hand through their arm, arm triangle, push off their hip with foot, that pulls their arm out, re-apply triangle
answer to other triangle defense (reach round) : forearm in neck

north-south to armbar
north-south, bottom person tries to get guard back, to knee-bar

mount to reverse guillotine

guard pass (rocking back to stand up correctly)

then did some conditioning stuff to finish, press ups, crunches etc

also, i'm in the process of sorting out my upcoming training for the next few months now theres no mondays and fridays any more...

stricker
07-25-2007, 02:16 PM
AM:

quick warm up
5 min round all thai kicks on bag (for technique)
5 min round all hands on the bag
5 min round sledgehammer on tyre
1 min rest between rounds

PM: MMA

warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling

circuit :
1 min jab-cross-hook-shoot for double leg, take it in turns with partner
1 min sprawls
1 min jab-cross-hook-shoot for double leg

2x through, 1 min rest

then another circuit :
1 min mount escape
1 min guard pass
1 min sprawls
1 min guard pass (other way round)

2x through, 1 min rest

then rounds rolling

then went over one or two techniques again from last night.

everyone did conditioning while i rolled with thai coach, which is always like a few notches up from competing...

stricker
07-26-2007, 03:13 PM
AM :
warm up
5 mins thai kicks on bag
5 mins hands on bag
5 mins sledgehammer on tyre
1 min rest between rounds

PM : Judo (MMA)
warm up
then 10 squats, 10 sq thrusts, 10 press ups, 10 crunches, then 9... to 1
one man out line throws : outer reaping (osoto gari?) and half hip throw
kuzushi
kuzushi + angle sweeps/leg trips
kuzushi + throws
kuzushi + any standing technique

then rounds rolling

stubbed my fking toe again :mad: its been weeks now and its as fat as my big toe and doesnt bend. im actually thinking of going to see a doctor :(

stricker
07-28-2007, 05:49 AM
spent about half an hour AM and about an hour PM doing **** about recovery stuff, light technique work on the bag, hands and thai kicks, assorted sledgehammer swings and work on the tyre. bodyflow/yoga/mobility bits, shoulder band stuff, and some OH squats with some scaffold pole.

stricker
07-28-2007, 06:05 AM
MMA

warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling

5x3 min rounds on thai pads, 1 out on floor bag
5x3 min rounds holding pads

groundwork.
went over a guard pass
then into a knee bar
triangle legs to defend knee bar
cheeky switch to other leg knee bar

broken kesa to arm bar
bait to set it up
few variations including going to triangle

then rounds rolling.

press ups and planks before packing up

its been ages since i last did padwork. i've changed my kicking technique with my right leg since last time, with all the light work on the bag and stretching etc. much better, but now it's got no power :rolleyes:

stricker
07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
MMA

warm up
1 rnd shadow boxing, 1 rnd pummelling
shooting drill - level change and shoot through partners legs
partner resisted shoot (level change, penetration step, drive)
boxing drills
jab-cross/slip-slip then circle
hook/bob on the end
bob and step in to clinch/get underhooks
pummelling technique
arm drag
duck under
mobility drill for armbar from mount
mobility drill for armbar from guard
drilled kimura from guard

stretching to finish

changes to training program still in limbo. turns out the amateur boxing season is out at the moment but about 3-4 weeks time i should be boxing on sunday nights...

stricker
08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
AM

warm up
5 mins thai kicks on bag
5 mins hands on bag
5 mins sledgehammer
sledgehammer swings etc to finish

PM

MMA

warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling
1 round pummelling+drill arm drags, duckunders etc, last minute thai pummell

circuit A:
1 min boxing combo's to shoot and pick up (take turns)
1 min sprawls
1 min boxing combo's to shoot in and pick up (take turns)

circuit B:
1 min back escape
1 min sprawls
1 min back escape (other way round)

Did A, B, A, B second time round adding knee strikes in to wrestling for position

then i think it was 5mins on punch bags, 1 min on, 1 min off or something, cant remember exactly...

then 5 min round of starting in guard an passing guard with strikes, bottom person striking. reset position after sweep, escape, or guard pass. swap roles every minute

went over passing butterfly guard, 2 actual passes with variation, drilled...

then mma sparring. got a real good black eye, slightly cut and everything.

threw up in training as well.. stomach didnt have a lot in it as ate about 2 hours before training but i was experimenting with a little protein in my drink at training and this was a pretty hellish session, the two don't mix...

stricker
08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
AM

flaked, knee hurting like hell, think i got kicked on the inside of the joint... did about 3 mins of sledgehammering and packed it in...

PM

MMA (Judo)

warm up

drilled 2 sacrifice throws throws, one where you use a shin bar across their hips, another where you do like a big high sweeping movement with your leg out to get momentum...

then rounds rolling

today i was physically weak (sore etc), but technically on fire! gogoplata'd one really good guy who i've never got before then played some top game with him! took another guys back (who's really good, only tapped him once before). was about 50-50 with another strong mma fighter. i guess things have ups and downs, i sucked bad in rolling last saturday...

bodhitree
08-03-2007, 05:46 AM
hey

for the protein during training thing, you may wish to try accelerade. It has a carb/protein ratio of 4 (carbs) to 1 (protein). It is good for energy during workout, and has more of a gatorade type texture and less like a protein shake. I think some other products like endurox may also have these features. Oh, and needless to say while trining sip, don't gulp!

stricker
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
AM

yoga to warm up
kicks on the bag

PM

Sumo DL
10x 50kg+bar
5x 80kg+bar
5x 80kg+bar
5x 80kg+bar
5x 80kg+bar
5x 80kg+bar

alternate
10x OH squats with scaffold pole (rebar)
10x OH lunges with scaffold pole (rebar)
for 3 sets

In between everything i did :
2x bw dips on power rings
think i got at least 10 sets of 2 over the whole session.

Felt like I needed a feel-good workout, so just did this. Been keeping up the yoga/bodyflow/stretching bits a fair bit the last few days, although i think i might have injured my left knee. Cant quite tell if its really injured or i just got kicked in it sparring...

anyway, ive been reading Naked Warrior, so i'm sorta GTGing dips on the power rings. The rep and weight range is wrong as i think my max reps is about 3 :o I go FULL r.o.m. and slow, and they are unbelievably hard. I think its mainly the skill so i'm hoping to up the reps pretty quickly. but anyway, i'm gonna bust out sets of 2 as often as possible, should manage at least 5x a day...

stricker
08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
hey

for the protein during training thing, you may wish to try accelerade. It has a carb/protein ratio of 4 (carbs) to 1 (protein). It is good for energy during workout, and has more of a gatorade type texture and less like a protein shake. I think some other products like endurox may also have these features. Oh, and needless to say while trining sip, don't gulp!dude, i'd been reading somewhere something about accellerade and 4:1 or whatever so when i was mixing up my lucozade (i think thats uk equivalent of gatorade) i decided to put half a scoop of protein in there with it to experiment. all the brands etc are different over here, although i do have a way round that...

also i've changed how i eat a little while back so nowadays i'm on more the 5 smaller meals a day than 3 big ones, so might do half a protein\carb drink a bit before training, water during, and another protein\carb right after or something...

cheers for the tip tho. actually i'm starting to think the best thing is to have 2 drinks at the ready in training, one just water and the other with carbs and maybe protein (i'm not sure...) and then sip from whichever i feel like.

stricker
08-06-2007, 05:03 PM
also, i dont normally post **** like this but it this is too funny not to...

a guy (well, the top muay thai fighter) from my mma gym just beat this guy in a stadium fight out in thailand, check his hilight reel :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0XevOHIb4I

talk about a crowd pleaser :D

stricker
08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
MMA

warm up
shadow boxing
round of pummelling
round of pummelling with drilling armdrags, duckunders etc

boxing drills few rounds

circuit :
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min back escapes
1 min thai kick pushbacks
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min back escapes

1 min rest then repeat, swapping the thai kick drill for sprawls

ground technique:
broken kesa to shoulder lock (under shin)
broken kesa to armbar
broken kesa transition to side control
side control to fig 4
side control to arm bar
side control transition to knee on stomach (low and high)
knee on stomach to armbar

got home, few more sets of 2 dips in, i think about 6-7 sets in total today. they're feeling easier already...

stricker
08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
AM

warm up
kicks on the bag
sledgehammer on the tyre

PM

MMA
warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling
1 round pummelling + techniques (arm drag, duckunder etc) every 2-3 pummells

circuit :
1 min boxing combo to shoot and pick up
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min sprawls
1 min boxing combo to shoot and pick up
1 min clinch wrestling

4x through

then on bags
1 min on bag
1 min shadow/resting
move to next bag and repeat (punch bag, hook and uppercut bag, long thai bag)

then rounds rolling

then neck exercises, in the ring, hand head over the edge, weight plate on forehead...

stretching to finish

still GTGing power ring dips, only got about 5-6 sets of 2 in today

stricker
08-09-2007, 03:41 PM
AM

warm up,
turned to mush when neighbours new kitten came over to play, so only got a few sets of ring dips in...

PM

judo (mma)

warm up
side control escape drill
kouchi gari (sp?) throw
inner reaping throw
kuzushi
kuzushi + leg throws/trips

rounds rolling

caught a judo bb new to the club with sangaku jime (thats a triangle choke, right?) he was like how come everyones got white belts or trains in shorts and a tshirt?

then went over attacking the back (persons turtled)
get one hook in then go for choke vs attack one arm first to flatten them out

i ended up as the teaching dummy while the judo coach, mma coach and bjj coach all swapped choke techniques on me, which led into

sweet way to get take back and get rear naked when your on your knees and their single-legging you by trapping their arm as you roll from on top with one hook in.

stricker
08-11-2007, 06:55 AM
MMA

warm up
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling

standing circuit :
1 min boxing combo to shoot, take turns with partner
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min sprawls
1 min boxing combo to shoot
1 min clinch wrestling
1 min rest, 2x through, straight into
ground circuit:
1 min mount escape
1 min guard pass
1 min sprawls
1 min mount escape (switch roles)
1 min guard pass (switch roles)
1 min rest, 2x through

line drilled double leg takedown
line drilled ankle pick(?) single leg (grab back of leading ankle, drive shoulder into shin)
lots of pointers from wrestling coach, but i was having one of those days where i couldnt do anything right :(

rounds rolling.

took breaks to show a wrestler guard stuff (triangle switch to armbar, shin over head to gogoplata, omoplata) and another break to be shown a cool basic kneebar setup from another guy who's been getting loads of them recently...

conditioning drills to finish :
advancing footwork towards partner, shoot in and pick up, retreating footwork, superman sprawl, repeat x20.
monkey in the tree.

free xyience protein shakes from a cooler courtesy of the us military :)

been doing some yoga, stretching and rolling about and sunbathing in the garden for a couple of hours this afternoon :)

stricker
08-14-2007, 04:47 AM
AM

warm up
5 min kicks on the bag
5 min sledgehammer

more kicks, playing with footwork and shin-blocking into kicks, pushing off the bag, returning to balanced stance better, kicking at different heights etc

after day off from gtg'ing on sunday, bust 3 ring dips straight first time. upped my max reps by 50% :cool: hahaha

stricker
08-14-2007, 01:27 PM
AM

overslept - went to london last night to see family, got back really late...

PM

MMA

warm up
shadow boxing
round of pummelling, drill basic techniques

boxing drill :
double jab-cross-hook, circle, repeat
then catcher fires lead hook back, bob and step to clinch, circle, repeat
drill basic punch defences, slip, cover, bob, parry etc
stand still, get punched in the face and dont blink drill
then with punch defences (no footwork)
all this for rounds, swap roles every 30 seconds

then boxing sparring
start slow, light, no feints or tricky timing, telegraph everything
then full sparring (still light contact)
then full sparring, one person tries to clinch
then mma spar gloves on to box and wrestle for position after clinch
then full sparring, with clinch wrestling and dirty boxing

then drilled catching thai kick to knee bar

my knee hurts :( if this carries on longer i'm gonna have to get it checked somehow, i get a pain to the front/side when it's the back leg doing a lunge...

stricker
08-15-2007, 05:36 PM
AM

warm up
5 mins light kicks on the bag
5 mins sledgehammering
more kicks on the bag

PM

MMA

warm up
shadow boxing
pummelling

circuit 1 :
1 min boxing combo to shoot, take turns
1 min sprawls
1 min boxing combo to shoot, take turns
1 min rest, 2x through

1 min rest then

circuit 2:
1 min mount escape
1 min guard pass
1 min sprawls
1 min mount escape, swap roles
1 min guard pass, swap roles
1 min rest, 2x through

1 min rest then

1 min on heavy bag,
1 min off\shadow
1 min on hook and uppercut bag
1 min off\shadow
1 min on long thai bag

then rounds rolling

neck exercises then stretching to finish

stricker
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
AM

warm up
started raining, so switch to yoga stuff indoors...

rain has also pretty much called off GTGing the ring dips :(
i have yet to sort out somewhere to hang them indoors...

PM

MMA (judo)

warm up
drilled 3 judo throws :
1. sacrifice throw, leg inside their hips
2. when they're bent at waist, reach down their spine to grab belt (or use seatbelt for nogi) push their wrist down between legs, swing rear leg across them, sit down and throw, follow up in mount/side control
3. variation of 2, without pushing the wrist down...

kuzushi
kuzushi + leg trips
kuzushi + any standing technique x3 rounds, switching partners

then rounds rolling

came in a bit down about the state of my groundwork, after the bjj coach made me feel like i'd never done a days training in my life yesterday, but somehow came back on fire again tonight :)

went from having rear mount to rolling them over to get the hooks in easier, then went over a few counters to having your back taken and rnc coming...
1. defend the choke, wrap one arm up, use 2 arms on the other arm, move hips to escape
2. forget the rnc, go for a nasty ankle attack, they'll tap before you go out, if you can get it

stricker
08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
AM

kicks on the bag

PM

weights:

warm up kicks on bag
3x bw ring dips
8x sumo DL 60kg+bar
3x bw ring dips
4x sumo DL 80kg+bar
3x bw ring dips
4x sumo DL 95kg+bar
3x bw ring dips
3x sumo DL 110kg+bar !!!!
3x bw ring dips
3x sumo DL 60kg+bar
3x bw ring dips
tried to pick up bar at 110kg again, didnt happen first try so thought **** it, be safe
then tried to pick up 90kg, got 1 rep.... and thought **** it
3x bw ring dips

tried to do some db lunges but my hurting knee wont let me :(

swung sledgehammer for a bit...

i now need to buy more weight plates!!! 110 kg+bar i'm ****ing happy :) i'm only 5kg off a 2x bw deadlift. Easy.

time to celebrate :D

Pork Chop
08-17-2007, 12:43 PM
congrats :) good job!

stricker
08-18-2007, 06:53 AM
AM

MMA

warm up
shadow boxing
pummelling (+playing for tie ups and takedowns)

pads:
5x3 min rounds on pads.
did technical hands + setting up takedowns, 1 round out g'n'p on floor bag, 1 round out rolling with strikes.
5x3 min rounds holding pads.

drilled 2 counters to single leg takedown
first steps - unhook leg out, get an underhook
from there either stomp leg out, drive them to wall +knees etc
or marcelo garcia triangle their arm to roll over into crucifix to choke

then rounds rolling

100 kimura situps then stretching to finish off

stricker
08-18-2007, 06:54 AM
congrats :) good job!cheers bro, i'm still a real beginner on the s&c front. it's not like really strong or anything, but it is a cool milestone...

stricker
08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Weights

6x ring press ups
6x ring inverted rows
4 sets

1Leg squats
6L, 6R with 5kg plate
3 sets, left quad fcked after 3rd set :confused: so stopped there

3 mins hands on the bag
2 mins sledgehammer

**** just realised i forgot the ab work i meant to do... should do later tonight when stomach empty 3 sets of 10l, 10r windscreen wipers or whatever they're called

left quad feels like a cramp or something, tried stretching it, maybe i didnt warm up properly?? my left knee has been giving me serious sh1t recently :(

off for a game of table tennis now :)

stricker
08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
also, 2x 10kg plates should be on there way to me before long :)

stricker
08-22-2007, 04:22 AM
got home after work and was sick. threw up, cold sweat. obviously ate something dodgy after lunch (which didnt come up). I was cold and feeling rough after puking so curled up in bed and fell asleep. Woke up about 10 feeling fine, had a bit of food, then got a couple of hours sleep before waking up at about 3 in the morning.

probably not training tonight either as lack of sleep and proper food got me feeling weak :(

Pork Chop
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
yikes :eek: hope ya feel better

Nick Forrer
08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
AM
came in a bit down about the state of my groundwork, after the bjj coach made me feel like i'd never done a days training in my life yesterday, but somehow came back on fire again tonight :)
t

Dont worry about it....with 4 black belts and two brown belts on the mat at my club I get raped pretty much everytime I spar with them. The only consolation is that whenever I roll with people below my level now I find it easy (too easy in fact).

bodhitree
08-23-2007, 04:36 AM
hope you feel better.

stricker
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
MMA (judo)

warm up
side control escape drill
mount escape drill
mount esacpe to armbar drill

round robin throws:
ippon seonage
drop seonage
failed seonage to trip/takedown front leg
failed seonage to trip/takedown go behind back leg

then rounds rolling.

only 4 of us, so not a single round out.

went over a few techniques at the end, mainly this marcelo garcia single leg defence to choke.

stricker
08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
bodhi, pork chop

cheers guys. its wierd it was like i'd eaten something poisonous and threw it up, but after that i was fine. guess the bodys defence mechanism was doing its job real good :) just poor nutrition and sleep kept me away from training last night...

nick,

sounds like you got it good :) it does change your game. my club's really small, but we've got 3 guys who must be bjj brown/black belt level (who teach the groundwork), then a strong group who must be blue going on purple level, then a bunch of people who maybe aren't great technically, but every one of them outweighs me by like 20kgs... then the one person i do outweigh is a full time professional fighter :rolleyes:

so, getting beat up, owned, manhandled, whatever, is something i'm used to. but that roll last week was different, made me feel like an idiot. i GAVE him side control, kesa, mount, then said here mate my arm, take it, no really i insist... that went on for the whole round. the top guys at my club all have a different background and signature (why i call them the bjj coach, the wrestling coach, the mma coach) so i'm used to superior technique, explosivity, technicality, flexibility, dominant or controlling pressure etc, but this wasnt like getting beaten or tapped non-stop for a round, this was something else, i dont even know what he was doing or how he was doing it...

but its all good. the mental ups and downs i think are to do with plateaus and not knowing where you are in your training when all your used to is getting beat. i've tapped a few good strong people like once or twice each now, and all they do is step it up a notch next time we roll :rolleyes:. but, tonight went really well. somethings clicked about doing the whole 'not playing their game' thing, staying out of the danger zone instead of struggling and failing in defending/escaping/countering submissions in the face of superior skill or strength. in fact my focus has gone right back to the positional approach and especially working on top game. but then its really hard for me to get there in the first place, let alone develop it...

just thankful the bjj coach didnt show up tonight else i'd have got too fed up and quit training hahaha :D

stricker
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
PM Weights

warm up
40x kb swings
3 mins of kicks on the bag

Sumo Deadlift :
5x 60kg+bar
5x 80kg+bar
5x 100kg+bar
5x 100kg+bar
5x 100kg+bar

windscreen wipers (lying twist thing, legs up straight)
3 sets of 10 (20 if you count the left and right side as 1)

10 sets of 3 bw ring dips

round of sledgehammer
round of kicks on bag

ring dips spread out across the whole session. ie one set between each set of sumo dl's, windscreen wipers etc...

stricker
08-25-2007, 08:05 AM
AM MMA

warm up
sprint up the hall, jog back
jab-cross-double leg up up the mats, jog back
jab-cross-sprawl up the mats, jog back
push partner then double leg them, up the mats, jog back

shadowboxing

then circuit
2.5 mins in the corner, getting beaten up by someone wearing boxing gloves
2.5 mins in the corner, defending being taken down
5 mins boxing combo on pads to takedowns, lots of padman firing back, slipping
5 mins g'n'p on floor bag
5 mins thai pads, specifically mixing up high level (hands) and low (kicks)

we did that all together where i was the boxing combo station for a few rounds, then i shadow boxed the other rounds due to injury*

then after that went over g'n'p defence in guard, how to g'n'p from inside guard, how to cope with different types of guard, then also looked at some sweeps from that situation and their defences.

no rolling, just drilling, various levels

*I smacked my knee REALLY hard into someones shin bone or knee or something doing the partner shove to double leg up the mats drill, so i couldnt bend my leg much or do anything useful. the ground drills, i only did the bottom game that didnt involve bending one leg

****ing injuries :mad:

anyway its a beautiful day, the sun is finally shining, and i got a gangsta limp :)

stricker
08-28-2007, 01:24 PM
spent rest of weekend and yesterday away...

AM

warmed some kicks up on the bag

PM

10 ring press ups
10 ring inverted rows
10 windscreen wipers
3x through

sledgehammer

knee grief so no leg stuff...

stricker
08-29-2007, 03:44 PM
AM

kicks on the bag
sledgehammer swinging stuff (not on the tyre)

PM

MMA

warm up
jab cross shoot up and down the room
drilled pummell in to takedown, hip bump their supporting leg out
drilled pummell in to takedown, trip their supporting leg out
drilled alternate between those two (one is circle left the other circle right)

rounds :
1 mins on thai pads
1 min mma sparring to takedown
1 mins on thai pads
1 min mma sparring to takedown
1 min on thai pads
1 min rest
3x through

then 6 mins x3 rounds of being padman

think we did something else after that, but really cant remember...

then we did rounds rolling, mainly with strikes

got kicked in the head by an unpadded shin bone, took a standing count and got a lump coming up now... basically i got bashed about in the sparring by a taller heavier and more confident stand up fighter. left me pretty feeling like crap. coach was more positive about it, said i came alive as soon as we clinched. to be fair i did get the takedown nearly everytime, the time i got taken down i got a quick armbar before we got stood up. ho hum what a lot of fun.

stricker
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
AM felt ****e, didnt sleep well

PM Judo (MMA)

warm up
drilled an ankle sweep
drilled kosoto-gari
drilled another one, almost like a round kick to the back of their leg

groundwork

went over sangaku-jime. check the japanese yo! triangle choke for the rest of us, lots of details on the basic setups from guard, the basic defence/counters and how to tighten on them.

going round the back to teepee.
switching to armbar
armbarring the arms when still in triangle
if they pull arm out and you just got their head, put your arm in
a bunch of other stuff

then rolling

only got two or three rounds in after a head clash when i did an arm drag left my partner with a cut eyebrow.

bodhitree
08-30-2007, 05:37 PM
only got two or three rounds in after a head clash when i did an arm drag left my partner with a cut eyebrow.

you have some luck don't you, did you break a mirror or something?

Any stitches?

Be Well

stricker
08-31-2007, 02:43 AM
bodhi,

it was my parntner that got cut, not me. we were both on our knees, doing the grip fighting thing, i went for an armdrag, maybe i didnt pull or move across enough, or he came forward, one way or another it ended up in a headbut. Some part of my head hit his eyebrow at an angle, split it open... we did the butterfly tape thing, he said he'd see what it was like in the morning before going to hospital...

still sucks every time there's a minor injury or whatever and people are restricted in their training...

bodhitree
08-31-2007, 03:59 AM
still sucks every time there's a minor injury or whatever and people are restricted in their training...

sure does, hope your training partners alright.

stricker
09-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Went out late Fri night... woke up in time for breakfast sat am, then a doze before heading out to training... doze turned into zzzz's and missed it. BAD me :mad: tried hitting weights in afternoon, started working my way up deadlifts, got to 2nd/3rd set and sacked it off...

Sun

Sumo Deadlift
50kg x5
70kg x5
90kg x5
90kg x4
90kg x3

left hand grip was failing

Ring Dips
4, 4, it started raining....

got inside
3x20 (10l, 10r) windscreen wipers

stricker
09-03-2007, 11:48 AM
AM

warm up
5 mins kicks on the bag
5 mins sledgehammer on tyre

stricker
09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
in agony as i write this...

Monday PM - did a few rounds of hands on the bag, probably a round or two of kicks as well, cant remember. Worked on getting power into the second jab in a double-jab.

AM
warm up
5 mins kicks on bag
5 mins sledgehammer

PM

kettlebell ****about session. did some snatches and jerks and stuff

stricker
09-05-2007, 03:30 PM
AM

warm up
5 mins kicks on bag
5 mins sledgehammer

PM - MMA

warm up
jab-cross-shoot up the mats, run back
jab-cross-sprawl up the mats, run back
1 round shadow boxing
1 round pummelling, switched partners every minute, clinch wrestling intervals

rounds :
1 min kicks on thai pads
1 min wrestling to clinch or takedowns, stand up after 10secs on ground
2 min punch-kick on thai pads
1 min wrestling to clinch or takedowns, stand up after 10secs on ground
1 min rest, 3x through, swap roles then 3x through again.

held pads first time through (stood around in the wrestling minutes), then did my rounds second time through.

that was 'quite tiring'... by the end i couldnt breathe, couldnt move my arms, heavy footed walking instead of footwork, something in my abs screaming... hands up hands up ten kicks ten kicks layo layo WRESTLE!!! **** me!

then wrestling coach went through some takedown variations for off the sprawl

then 1 minute rounds of takedown sparring. no gloves so just touch strikes. most people had 3 or 4 rounds in, at least 2 straight.

then wrestling coach went over some clinch stuff to takedowns, or backing out to striking

MMA sparring. big boxing gloves on and went a little harder with the strikes

either 1 or 2 minute rounds in the ring, switching up partners all the time

I only got one round in. kept my partner off for a bit with the jab, got some kicks in, then he came in close and bashed me up with some hooks and uppercuts that were a lot heavier than i was expecting :( clinched, ended up on ground. ended up on top in his half-guard both times, worked ground and pound stuff a treat. then got stalled and stood back up then pretty much repeated...

during all that, i ****ed my shoulder up pretty bad again. it was either when he had my arm wrapped up deep and i took him down with a trip and landed both our weight on it, or when i did the rotate the forearm to un-wrap and strike thing, but it died. stood back up after position stalled and carried on, adrenaline etc covered the pain, just thought it was weak... had no jab, oh somethings wrong... bash bash bash on my head, clinch, floor again...

agony, cant move it for ****, ibuprofen and ice. ****. **** **** ****. **** **** **** **** ****!!!

stricker
09-10-2007, 07:06 AM
shoulder still sucking, click, crack every time i move it...

went to sports injury clinic, they suspect SLAP lesion (the torn labrum i had before now worse). got an xray, no bone chips in there suggesting a torn ligament or whatever...

back next week to see another physio, take it from there.

bummer. i'm in london all week for work so was gonna do a gym tour, hit roger gracies place, see nick f at alan orrs... not now though :(

Nick Forrer
09-10-2007, 07:09 AM
hey mate

if you're in london we can meet up for a drink/coffee anyway one night/day?

stricker
09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
nick, check your pm...

stricker
09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Wing Chun :eek: :eek:

went and hung out with nick at alan orr's class. didn't train...

nicks looking like a ****ing handful!

stricker
09-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Status update :

saw physio. apparently i only pass half the tests for a labral tear, despite a previous positive scan and what i know i can feel in my joint, crazy clunk clicking etc... anyway, i'm moving it about a bit now, still hurts doing anything useful. NO WAY anything training-wise or even weight bearing ie yoga

so, a few things i've been spending time on :

butterfly stretch (never really got into this, so concentrating on it for a bit)
standing yoga poses
bodyflow bits i can do without arms
right arm strength (randomly kb bottoms up pressing)
kicks on the bag (except left round, cos i cant swing left arm back)

also all the kicking the bag i've been doing has been paying off big time, i pretty much relearnt my thai kick technique from scratch as before i was doing it half correct and half wrong, tweaking it little by little wasnt working, so decided to start from the beginning again as we havent been doing so much thai padwork for a while. when things got out of hand i'd revert back to the 'old way' but i'm drilling this **** in now, getting higher, foot pointing down, the pivot, hips, drilling i in... today i figured out something about pushing the hips forward while kicking for balance and power. nice :) still really only working technique\flexibility\balance not unleashing them full force...

need to think about writing out a training program for shoulderless life again. my body is at about the most powerful it's ever been, dont want to lose too much...

AndrewS
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Jon,

condolances on the bum wing, as you know, I'm there with you. A suggestion- maybe try to snag a hip belt for hip belt squats if squats and deads aren't possible.

Andrew

stricker
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Groundwork drilling with training partner.

Have a training partner with mats round theirs. Hopefully gonna be doing regular light drilling sessions from now on. Our first endeavour is to get down chapter 6 of eddie bravos mastering the rubber guard - escapes.

Escape mount to half guard (lockdown) :
A. Alcatraz : foot scooping\lifting under
B. Guantanamo : foot dragging over
C. Hip escape : push/drive to get leg out underneath their knee

Spent 5-10 mins working each one out, then a 5 min round drilling it straight, then 5 mins more alive, resisting but only 10-20% strength, then figuring out counters and improvements. Each technique done for about 30 mins total.

Then did a 5 min round of A B C A B C A B C finally top man calling them out at random.

This is mostly dead drilling at like 10-20%, my partner doing the escapes for the rounds, me only really basing on one arm.

stricker
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Jon,

condolances on the bum wing, as you know, I'm there with you. A suggestion- maybe try to snag a hip belt for hip belt squats if squats and deads aren't possible.

Andrewcheers bro yeah i know you're bummed with your bicep. especially harsh if you've got a goal in mind like fighting thai... my 2006 was all about rehab and basics, then 2007 was all about getting out and competing. Did one amateur thai fight and 2x sub tourneys, but i wanted to do 4-5 am thai fights and 3-4 sub tourneys... 'spose i got halfway there... i'm ****ing ****ed that i dropped the ball with the thai fighting thing. after doing that first one things clicked in my head so much and i've made a lot of progress since then i was really looking forward to it... if the shoulder is as bad as i worry it might be, amateur fighters better watch out in '09 hahaha

cheers for the suggestion of the hip belt thing, the only thing i dont like is its not hitting the torso at all, but, it could be really good for going low wide and getting good hip ROM...

gonna start putting together a training plan for the next few weeks months etc...

stricker
09-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Saw physiotherapist this morning :
- ROM improving loads, still not great
- still 'strong' in nearly all the tests
- internal rotation hurts like hell, poor ROM
- external rotation pretty good
- front raises with palm down hurts, palm up doesnt (good sign for labrum problem apparently)
- stick with isometrics and passive ROM stuff (lifing arm up using other arm\pulley)
- self massage (tennis/physio ball) has helped, muslces were like a rock last time
- back to see physio in 2 weeks time.
- applying to see orthopeadic surgeon again. this takes weeks/months to get, so applying now even if things turn out ok and i cancel...

Training :
Last nights ground technique drilling session cancelled :( Partner is also on the injured bench (hence us hoping to do just real light pure technique drills not rolling or live drills) but his knee blew up bad after our last session, and he didnt want to risk it...

I did a quick circuit at home :

40 crunches on swiss ball
40 bw squats
40 back extensions on swiss ball
40 bw lunges

repeat 3x through. didnt stick to strict timings but rested about 30-40s between rounds.

I've also started an anatomy and physiology course at the sports massage dept of the local college. better than tv or the pub...

stricker
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
MMA

just went to watch, ended up doing a few things :

helping a couple of new people with padwork, how to hold pads and how to hit them, just basics... stand up and g'n'p, good base in guard etc

4 rounds on the bags, alternate a round of right kicks and teeps on the long thai bag with a round of right hands on either the punch bag or hook/uppercut bag. right cross, right body, right head, combo's like that

then helped the new guys with more basics on the ground. triangle from guard, getting mobile, moving hips and body position, posture and base etc

stricker
09-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Groundwork drilling session with training partner (with knee injury)

Revised mount escapes to half guard:

A. Alcatraz
B. Guantanamo
C. Hip escape

quick round of each, then a round of quick fire escapes called out by man in mount, swap, repeat

Went over a couple of mount escapes to butterfly, but between us we're too injured to do them, so moving on...

Drilled side control escapes to half guard :
A. 25 Cent
B. Flo
round of each, round of mixed, swap, repeat

Drilled side control escapes to butterfly :
C. Jailbreak
D. Jailbreak variation
E. Jailbreak (hand under leg)
F. Tunnell

then a round mixing any of A-F, called out by man on top. swap, repeat.

We did all of these on one side only, due to his knee and my shoulder. Also some of the butterfly escapes we only went half way because of partners knee. Again, dead drilling, little to no resistance, and often poor top game due to injuries.

In case any 'aliveness' crew chip in, yeah i know this isnt building real skill, its just about memorizing a body of techniques while working around injuries, i'm **** at remembering techniques so hopefully it'll really pay off in the long run...

stricker
10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Groundwork drilling session

1. went over escapes from side control and mount as per last few sessions, drilled a little bit each

2. went over back escape
3. went over north south escape

drilled the whole lot, stopped at about 2 hours. Still little/no resistance, and some of the moves on one side only...

GiggityZZ
10-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I've been discussing scenarios with friends at school for fighting, and i saw a good number of people talked about "scooping" a person up and slamming them. (my school is mostly filled with gangster/thug-wannabe's) Or scooping someone up and begin wrestling.

ive debated over that idea for awhile and ive been contemplating on a way to avoid being scooped up, or picked up and slammed. if someone tries to go for the leg scoop, i just give them a good knee and/or kick to the face.

my recent practices have been consisting of low sweeping kicks, and forward teep kicks.

stricker
10-03-2007, 03:59 AM
I've been discussing scenarios with friends at school for fighting, and i saw a good number of people talked about "scooping" a person up and slamming them. (my school is mostly filled with gangster/thug-wannabe's) Or scooping someone up and begin wrestling.

ive debated over that idea for awhile and ive been contemplating on a way to avoid being scooped up, or picked up and slammed. if someone tries to go for the leg scoop, i just give them a good knee and/or kick to the face.

my recent practices have been consisting of low sweeping kicks, and forward teep kicks.alright giggity,

did you post this on the wrong thread? dont know how this follows from anything on here... anyway to answer your post :

"scooping up" i guess is a crude double leg takedown or something? maybe look on youtube to check we're on the same page... ok so your proposed answer, the good knee to the face or kick, well it isnt as simple as that...
1. a technically good mma double leg takes into account the knee and will try to keep the head safe
2. watch mma fights, even if the knee connects, 9/10 times the shooter still gets the takedown, which would lead to a win...
3. picking up the (front) leg is actually making it easier for the shooter. e.g. a tricky fighter will even do stuff like throw a few low round kicks to get you to check them by bringing the knee up (thai leg block) then feint the kick and pick up your leg which youve just given to them. we drill this.
4. shooting in from far away is just so last decade :p much more dangerous is setting up the shoot with good hand work and then going for the takedown when your in the pocket. or, getting the takedown from the clinch
5. look at mma fights and good mma defences to the shoot. the knee DOES happen (hansen vs imanari :o) but its all dependent on context, but thats only in like 1% of cases...theres other options too, circle away, cross face, underhook, etc etc even an uppercut can work, but the bread and butter answer is sprawl
6. the only way to answer this is to train. learn to shoot, drill it, then do wrestling sparring for takedowns, then you'll learn what works. take the knees out to start with (dangerous) or put a motorbike helmet on LOL
7. your going about this all wrong. eg you've been discussing and contemplating etc thats no good at all you need to practice, do and discover!!! an imaginary answer is not real, its not in your body and wont come out. drill spar drill spar drill spar.

a friend of mine whos into zen told me a saying the other day "chop wood, carry water" and thats pretty much how i feel about martial arts now. all the theorizing on forums is just bs if you do it for real you know what you need to do and you do it. chop wood, carry water...

fun rant :)

stricker
10-03-2007, 04:02 AM
on another blogging related note, i'm back into investigating various body therapies (physiotherapy massage osteopaths structural yoga therapy etc) again (did a little bit while first time around rehabbing) but if i need an op it'll be a year off training MA hard (or at all :( ) so i'm thinking of training to do something like that. it fits well with what i do and love and might be more fulfilling carreer than what i do at the moment... any ideas any one?

stricker
10-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Groundwork drilling session:

Halfguard :
Lockdown
Jaws of life
Whip up
Old school sweep
Electric chair sweep/submission
Electric chair sweep variation
Electric chair sweep (other variation i forgot the fancy name of)
Electric chair to arm triangle
Electric chair to calf crush

Nick Forrer
10-08-2007, 04:26 PM
hey mate

here is recent fight - this was the semis

bust intercostal cartilage and had to stop

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ezPLmxemc

stricker
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Groundwork

revised half guard to old school, electric chair etc quickly, added another 2 moves from half guard :

plan b & twistback combo
transition to full guard

revised mount, sidecontrol, northsouth and back escapes we've been over

interesting points:
- getting more into what the actual differences in the moves are, the essence of the move over the named technique
- some are more tricky to remember\pull off correctly than others and need re-going over more in depth than a few quick run-throughs

stricker
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
hey mate

here is recent fight - this was the semis

bust intercostal cartilage and had to stop

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ezPLmxemchey nick,

that looked like a really tough match, that guys top game was REALLY good, but you were still in with a good chance of getting him... i googled him and he's cleared up at a lot of tournaments recently, purple belt too... some tasty escape work and attempts in there...

unlucky on the damage, any idea how serious it is? i know getting decent diagnosis takes a while... fingers crossed...

Nick Forrer
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
hey nick,

that looked like a really tough match, that guys top game was REALLY good, but you were still in with a good chance of getting him... i googled him and he's cleared up at a lot of tournaments recently, purple belt too... some tasty escape work and attempts in there...

unlucky on the damage, any idea how serious it is? i know getting decent diagnosis takes a while... fingers crossed...

Hey dude, yeah Jamil is very tough and strong (did you see where he flipped me over at the start and like rickson I landed the other side on my knees LOL)

Made some technical mistakes there which I have since corrected (the first attempt to sit out from turtle into guard was lame and he passed off it - wont do that again)

Shame it had to stop felt i was getting 2nd wind (had just fought before with about a minute to rest so was very tired)

Ribs should be okay - few weeks - maybe 3-6 at worst - still training like mad - KBells on sunday, BJJ mon, wck today LOL

stricker
10-10-2007, 02:18 PM
MMA

warm up (no arms)
2x rounds of shadow boxing, no left hand, right round kick, left teep or sprawls

3x 5 min rounds :
1 min jumping squats (stopped jumping in 3rd round)
1 min crunches
1 min back extensions (arms by sides)
1 min back arches (l and r, careful on l, no arm on r)
1 min skip knees

5 min round on hook and uppercut bag
5 min round on heavy bag

stretching

**** i feel alive again... not whole body and no martial content, but better than nowt...

stricker
10-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey dude, yeah Jamil is very tough and strong (did you see where he flipped me over at the start and like rickson I landed the other side on my knees LOL)

Made some technical mistakes there which I have since corrected (the first attempt to sit out from turtle into guard was lame and he passed off it - wont do that again)

Shame it had to stop felt i was getting 2nd wind (had just fought before with about a minute to rest so was very tired)

Ribs should be okay - few weeks - maybe 3-6 at worst - still training like mad - KBells on sunday, BJJ mon, wck today LOLyeah i thought exactly that when i saw you twist outta the flip :p definitely STRONG though... i really liked when you rolled over from turtle into guard, its just a ****er when you can't get that shin out or make some space...the second time was better thought you were gonna get something...

your right though i would have liked to see it go the distance, he was ahead on points but you still coulda pulled a submission out...

no doubt you're still on it like a maniac :D

stricker
10-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Groundwork drilling

From half guard lockdown, whip up to Dogfight :
Half and half
Half and half variation
Plan B
Plan B and twistback combo
DPO (limp arm) to side
DPO to back
Drowning Wizard
Powder Keg

Looks like a lot, but i already knew Powder Keg, and Drowning Wizard seems a bit low percentage, so its really only 3 techniques with a variation each...

stricker
10-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Cornered a couple of guys in interclub thai fights...

stricker
10-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Running. 40 mins jog

Groundwork.

Went over some bits and bobs then did butterfly guard:

JJ sweep
JJ2 sweep
Post arm - Stick shift
Post leg - Transition to X-Guard and break them down
Transition to dog-fight
Transition to pyramid

stricker
10-15-2007, 01:59 PM
A&P - played with a skeleton model of an arm, interesting to see bone alignment as the fist rotates...

Training :

warm up
3x5 min rounds:
1 min squats
1 min crunches on ball
1 min back extn on ball
1 min lunges (fairly slow)
1 min skip knees

then did a few minutes of right kicks on the bag, felt great
then 2 mins straight of left teep right teep (or whatever its called) as the bag swings back

bust some OH jerks with empty oly bar on good arm

then ripped into the bag hard with right hooks bare handed, been building up to this for a while now with pressups on fists and bare hand bag work real slow...

stricker
10-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Groundwork session.

TP off to thailand for a couple of weeks now so we had a **** about session doing the main route through the rubber guard...