PDA

View Full Version : Avatar or Naruto

Wil-Hung
01-04-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm a "rabid" Avatar fan. People tell me about the depth of Naratu, but I guess I'm showing my lack of Martial arts maturity here. I find it to be boring with way too much talking, and not enough scrappin'. In all due fairness, am I missing something, or is this cartoon "BUTTTTTTTTT"?

Zenshiite
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Naruto's entertaining in that annoying Japanese over the top anime kind of way. They have some deep stuff sometimes with the whole meridian map thing they've been doing... though I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they refer to CHI as "chakra." I mean, that's not even accurate for internal energy in the yogic arts... it's friggin prana.

Avatar's my thing, I really like the fact that air-bending is Ba Gua and water-bending is Tai Chi and noticably so.

I enjoy them both, but because I'm more into the Chinese martial arts Avater is more appealing.

unkokusai
01-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm a "rabid" Avatar fan. People tell me about the depth of Naratu, but I guess I'm showing my lack of Martial arts maturity here. I find it to be boring with way too much talking, and not enough scrappin'. In all due fairness, am I missing something, or is this cartoon "BUTTTTTTTTT"?

Didn't you post this exact same thing elsewhere?

Shaolinlueb
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
naruto is ninjitsu, so its called chakra. i think its just the ninja way of saying it. i dont know, at least thats what i came up with.

i never watched avatar, but i like naruto.

5Animals1Path
01-05-2007, 12:39 PM
They're basically the same exact thing. The only real differences are the obvious American/Japanese thing.

Otherwise, it's a teenager with a buttload of power who can't neccesarily control it all, and has to stop the evils of the world from taking over.

Wil-Hung
01-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Didn't you post this exact same thing elsewhere?

Yes, I did. Response was limited.

Zenshiite
01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
naruto is ninjitsu, so its called chakra. i think its just the ninja way of saying it. i dont know, at least thats what i came up with.

i never watched avatar, but i like naruto.

Hmmm, but how much is ninjutsu specifically influenced by the yoga arts vs that of the Chinese arts? I would think they'd call it "ki" like every other Japanese art.

SanSoo Student
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Naruto!!!!

golden arhat
01-10-2007, 02:25 AM
Hmmm, but how much is ninjutsu specifically influenced by the yoga arts vs that of the Chinese arts? I would think they'd call it "ki" like every other Japanese art.

chakra is the sanskrit word for enrergy or energies

i think some ninjutsu ppl might use it as they have some rather esoteric meditation practises
of course ki is a much more common

and avatar has the chinese influence
but naruto (in the origonal japanese) is WAAAYYY BETTER !!1

Zenshiite
01-10-2007, 10:49 PM
chakra is the sanskrit word for enrergy or energies

i think some ninjutsu ppl might use it as they have some rather esoteric meditation practises
of course ki is a much more common

and avatar has the chinese influence
but naruto (in the origonal japanese) is WAAAYYY BETTER !!1

I thought chakra referred to the energy gates rather than the actual energy which is called "prana" and sometimes "kundalini." I mean, the equivalent of qigong in Sanskrit is "pranayama."

Naruto is fun, but I always get a little annoyed by certain elements of Japanese hyperactive teenage emotionalism.

metsubushi
01-12-2007, 05:44 PM
naruto uses 'chakra' like you would really use ki. It's not based on historical ninja or anything.

Wil-Hung
01-12-2007, 06:21 PM
but naruto (in the origonal japanese) is WAAAYYY BETTER !!

Can you be a little more descriptive? Help me out, here. They talk thru 3 episodes about what they're going to do to their opponent. the commercials are frankly more action packed!!! Avatar, granted makes one suspend belief, but at least there are battles. The 4 nations are based on elements which are the foundation for most TCMA. Whatever style you practice, you can almost visualize doing what they do. I practice Hung Ga, so I would belong to the earth kingdom. When I sit in horse, I try to grab the ground with my toes.

Maybe I'm just too impatient to wade through all of that esoteric preconception. I might be too shallow. I can accept that. Enlighten me. bring me to the "chakra" level from "hei" (Cantonese for chi or qi). I'm really just having fun with this, but my kids want me to get into it, and I'm bored to tears.

hinokata
01-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I would think they'd call it "ki" like every other Japanese art.

It is. I haven't seen more than 5 minutes or Naruto (too boring), but I did make it through about 15 minutes of Avatar once. Another thing is that ninjutsu also uses the elements. I've personally never heard anything other than "ki" in the dojo or on training outings.

My $.02

Zenshiite
01-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, the coolest thing I've seen with Naruto is them showing the chi meridians and stuff like that. Still... the way that anime and manga is drawn out is sort of boring. Dragon Ball Z was like that too. Avatar I can dig on... especially the finale for the second season/book2:Earth. Aang goes back to his Air Temple(which is kind of weird that they have Shaolin like monks practicing Ba Gua Zhang and the Northern Shaolin practitioners are the Fire Nation adversaries) and meets an Indian yogi who teaches him how to open each chakra on the real yogic chakra central column in order to be able to control his "avatar state".

To me, Avatar is more interesting... particularly the effort they've put into it. The Earth benders actually look like they're doing Hung Gar, Fire benders look like they're doing northern Shaolin, Air benders look like they are doing Ba Gua and the Water benders look like they are doing Tai Chi. The scope is far more grand, as the Avatar is supposed to bring nature(the elements) back into harmony. I still have yet to see the point of Naruto aside from this arguably untalented kid pursuing his ambition to be the head ninja of the village. I like 'em both, but I do find Avatar far more interesting from a martial arts point of view and WAAAAY more tolerable.

brothernumber9
01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Avatar is a bit too kiddy to me. Naruto started off pretty slow for several dozen episodes, but then kicked off pretty well after the chunin finals (somewhere around or after eps 75 I think but am not sure), except for the fillers over the past year and a half or so.

To me, better than both of those was Hajime No Ippo (titled as The Fighting Spirit in english, or sometimes just refered to as Fighting Spirit). It's only about boxing, but sensationalizes techinques and bouts and training that is quite engrossing and continually gets more intense. It has a lot of lulling so to speak for character development and backgrounds and stuff. But if you don't mind all of that, it was an awesome anime.

If you strictly just like a lot of fighting, Grappler Baki isn't bad.

Buddha_Fist
01-15-2007, 11:32 PM
When you compare Naruto in its original audio (Japanese!!!!) to Naruto, it becomes apparent that Naruto's voice actors put way more emotion into their work, which translates into the overall quality of the show. I think that Avatar could improve in that sense. I enjoy both in their own way.

Buddha_Fist
01-15-2007, 11:33 PM
BTW: Naruto's fillers are over - finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FuXnDajenariht
01-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Avatar by a landslide. i agree with people who say Naruto has that gay Japanimation drama thing going for it. can't stand that. The writing for Avatar is clever as hell in my opinion. it isn't perfection, but the story even though tailored to children has depth in spades. sometimes silly, but very interesting and pretty well written.

did you hear about the Avatar movie coming out thats being directed by M. Night Sha-sumthin-sumthin.

Wil-Hung
01-16-2007, 07:40 AM
did you hear about the Avatar movie coming out thats being directed by M. Night Sha-sumthin-sumthin.

Like the movie info, hate the director info. He just leaves you hangin'

NJM
01-24-2007, 04:13 PM

M. NIGHT SHAMALAN HAS BEEN DEMOTED! Ahahahahahaha, hillarious. I always thought his recent movies were total crap, especially the Villiage. It's ironic that he is taking such an offer :D.

As to the original topic, I will only say this:

Both of the TV shows you mention are composed almost entirely of Chinese Martial Arts concepts. There are even characters who are named after Chinese Martial Arts. The difference is that only one show admits the obvious influence.

Wil-Hung
05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
4 new episodes are available at your local Blockbuster on 1 DVD. Your "fix" WILL be satisfied... at least temporarily. Nick is screwwing up on this, Big Time!!!

Zenshiite
05-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Both shows have Ba Gua in them... and I think that's cool. Avatar's just more realistic in the movement portrayals.

I'm enjoying Naruto Shippuden more than Avatar right now, primarily because there's tons of new stuff for me to check out and Avatar's pretty much dead in the water right now. The writer's strike basically killed that show I think. There's new episodes but you don't hear a peep about them on Nick.

ittokaos
05-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Dont wait for nick in the us. I think that Canada gets them first. Anyway, try out

www.avatarchapters.org

Pretty good and free.

冠木侍
05-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey all. Just to let you know, there is already an "Anime" thread and this one would probably be better off over there (even though Avatar technically isn't anime).

Zenshiite
05-17-2008, 09:19 AM
There's also another Avatar thread where we're actually discussing both series. I don't think this belongs in the martial arts anime thread mainly because that's an extremely general thread and this one is specific.

冠木侍
05-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm a fan of both but I have watched a little more Naruto than Avatar to date. I can see the CMA influence in Avatar and I like it a lot. Naruto, whilst in the realm of Japanese martial arts, has a lot of appeal to anime fans. The action and fight sequences still beckon us to watch (those that like that stuff anyways). Plus, any opportunity for me to watch anime in Japanese is always a plus in my book.

I must set aside some time to watch...

Whether specific or not, the "anime" thread was to make it so everything was in one spot. It was meant to be a general thread where specifics could be discussed. I guess this one's here for now until someone decides to move it.

Two or more threads discussing the same topic...why?

Be good all.

GeneChing
10-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I've never really checked out Naruto. Looks like I'm 15 years behind.

Believe it! After 15 years of ninja action, manga Naruto is ending next month (http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/10/07/believe-it-after-15-years-of-ninja-action-manga-naruto-is-ending-next-month/)
Casey Baseel 13 hours ago

https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ne-1.png?w=580&h=362

What if we told you that Sunday was being discontinued? Like, the day’s just being removed from the calendar forever. You’d be pretty bummed, right? Sure, it lacks the excitement of Friday night, or the pure, 100-percent freedom of Saturday, but most of us still look forward to Sunday as a fun point in our week.

Well, something similar is about to happen for manga fans. Naruto, creator Masashi Kishimoto’s wildly popular weekly ninja series, is just weeks away from its final installment.

When Naruto made its debut in the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump in 1999, it’s doubtful that even the most optimistic editors at the magazine expected it to last as long as it did. Stories about a plucky warrior in training, who teams up with his friends (one he has a rivalry with, and the other he has feelings for) to face evil foes and overcome challenges had already been done by numerous other series before Kishimoto ever drew sketches of main characters Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura.

The devil’s in the details, though, and while readers may have seen the broad strokes before, the fine points of Naruto struck a chord with readers and drew them in. It has had such a strong hold on fans that the manga now stands at 694 chapters, with 70 collected volumes that have sold more than 130 million copies in Japan, and another 70 million overseas.

▼ The complete collection (so far)

https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ne-2.png?w=580&h=397

And now, after 15 years, it’s all coming to a close. Kishimoto announced two years ago that Naruto would be winding down, and this week publisher Shueisha announced that the manga’s 699th, and final, chapter will be published in the issue of Shonen Jump that hits newsstands on November 10.

Given that Kishimoto is just 39, it’s likely we’ll more manga from the artist after he takes a well-deserved break. Naruto and company aren’t going to immediately disappear altogether either, as there’s a new anime movie, The Last –Naruto the Movie scheduled for release on December 6. Shueisha has also promised some form of “Naruto entertainment” is coming in 2015.

But even though November 10 isn’t going to be a complete and final good-bye, it still marks a big change for fans who have become used to getting together with their ninja buddies once a week for the past decade and a half.