PDA

View Full Version : Cha style long fist

wushu032001
01-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Can anyone recommend some good Cha style instructional vids ?
Thanks and Happy New Year to all.:D

Flying-Monkey
01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Isn't Cha that style where you over extend the arms when you punch?

wushu032001
01-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I would'nt say you over extend , but the teqhniques are long range.

wushu032001
01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
OOPS ,spelling error, I meant to type "technique":rolleyes:

mickey
01-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Greeitngs,

You can take a look at the vcds offered at Plum Publications.

www.plumpub.com

mickey

David Jamieson
01-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Cha Chuan is very long in the fist, but doesn't hyper extend like contemporary wushu does.

cha you can do for life, contemporary wushu you're finished before 35. like gymnastics, it just wrecks your body.

Shaolinlueb
01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
wushu hyper extends? since when? lol DJ where you get that. cha is very open so isnt most of wushu. they dont want you to hyperextend or lock the arm out, jsut stretch.

Ben Gash
01-05-2007, 03:08 AM
I've got most of Liu Hong Chi's VCDs
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd/coll_cha.htm
The quality and instruction is excellent, the only downside being that there's no applications. However, one of the advantages of longfist styles is that once you understand the principles involved the applications are pretty self evident.

Ben Gash
01-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Here's a form performance from one of the discs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWELFWecvM

Wood Dragon
01-05-2007, 03:40 AM
Here's a form performance from one of the discs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWELFWecvM

Mein Gott! What is with the music? I kept expecting it to turn into an ad for tampons...

Royal Dragon
01-05-2007, 04:42 AM
wushu hyper extends? since when? lol DJ where you get that. cha is very open so isnt most of wushu. they dont want you to hyperextend or lock the arm out, jsut stretch.

Reply]
I have never seen a modern Wushu perfromance that didn't hyper extend, where have you been?

Shaolinlueb
01-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Reply]
I have never seen a modern Wushu perfromance that didn't hyper extend, where have you been?

ive seen plent of wushu. if you hyper extend your arm you hurt it. these guys dont hurt their arms, they keep coming back. they simply stretch to open themselves up.

Ben Gash
01-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Hang out with some wushu athletes and check out their large collections of braces and linaments.

Shaolinlueb
01-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Hang out with some wushu athletes and check out their large collections of braces and linaments.

i um do, and i never ever saw them wearing braces or using linaments, even the former china champions. in china and in usa. one dislocated his shoulder doing non wushu stuff once. and this is hanging with some of the best in usa.

Ben Gash
01-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Maybe the European guys are just bad at it then ;)

David Jamieson
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
no offense lueb, but champions of the sport really are done in the same way that champion gymnasts and ballet dancers are done by 35. Then they gotta deal with all the woe from teh punishment they have put on themselves from hyper extension of limbs, overtraining and so on.

some become coaches and carry on, but it wrecks your body. Many turn to more traditional arts to correct the badness.

Traditional arts will carry you your lifetime, performance wushu will bag you before 35. There is no "seniors" division in contemp wushu, but you can watch 70+ year old guys doing bagua and what not smooth as silk.

Shaolinlueb
01-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Maybe the European guys are just bad at it then ;)

no, I have seen many european wushu players who are better then in the usa.

tell you the truth, i have never many seen arm or elbow injuries in wushu. I see mostly knee issues. this is why i question it. well and 1 wrecked back because a 130 lb guy suplexed a 300 lb guy.

i used to train with one of the founders of wushu for a brief stint (was in shaolin temple movies with jet li too.) he didnt have any bad elbows and such, always said dont over extend your parts or lock em out, no good you hurt yourself, open up be long.

and a couple of the retired guys in china, they still did good at 28/30.

no offense lueb, but champions of the sport really are done in the same way that champion gymnasts and ballet dancers are done by 35. Then they gotta deal with all the woe from teh punishment they have put on themselves from hyper extension of limbs, overtraining and so on.

the one coach that was in the movies was a big traditional player too when he studied wushu, he often looked up and studied with traditional guys. and yes it does take tolls on your body, I am not saying he is perfect either. he said "at 60 i not walk well, but i flip around still"

and yes i agree modern wushu is hard on your body when you get older. all that jumping and such is no good for you. i dont plan on doing much of that when i get over 40.

B-Rad
01-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Traditional arts will carry you your lifetime, performance wushu will bag you before 35. There is no "seniors" division in contemp wushu, but you can watch 70+ year old guys doing bagua and what not smooth as silk.
I'd say this is more the exception than the rule. Most traditionalists still move like old men when they're old men. For every old man that moves like he's 20, you'll probably find a dozen more whose bodies have deteriorated just like anyone else. Injuries are a part of sport. But wushu hardly ruins your body. Most get aches and pains from various injuries, but still stay in relatively good shape into old age. This is true for a lot of traditionalists too. Have met vary few who had any hyper extension related problems. Most injuries I've come across have been related to jumping, or due to weapon accidents.

i um do, and i never ever saw them wearing braces or using linaments, even the former china champions. in china and in usa. one dislocated his shoulder doing non wushu stuff once. and this is hanging with some of the best in usa.
You sure you're not exaggerating? :D I practiced sport chang quan hard for 5 years and was around it another five, and a lot of us wore knee braces and used sports medicines :p Of course this is hardly only something sport people do... there's a reason so many traditionalists are into TCM, sell jow, etc. ;)

On hyper extension... It definitely should be a big no no in sport wushu... ask any older coach. Look at the basic body requirements of Cha Quan... and that's what modern wushu basics are supposed to follow. Of course that doesn't mean everyone listens (including judges). One of the big reasons I gave up on sport wushu is that you're taught one thing... then the judges reward something else or the powers that be add difficulty with little thought for any of the other basic requirements for wushu :( I suppose it's not much different in many "traditional" forms competitions though.

wushu032001
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for the feedback.I didn't mean to start a Wushu controversy.I've been practicing for 11 years, 3 in contemporary wushu,and never hyper-extend. I think
whatever you train in it's about training hard,but also training wisely.You have to use your brain.
Anyway,knowing modern wushu is based on cha chuan is why I'm intrigued by the style.I think my form looks more traditional than wushu ,in part because I want it to,and I can't do some of what wushu demands.(Being 41 years old doesn't help)You have to admit both are stunning to watch, fun and healthy to practice,if practiced wisely.
Could I be so bold to ask,of the vids mentioned,which are more traditional ?

Thanks,
Jim:D

B-Rad
01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
To get back on topic, there's another vcd that you might like.

From the Hua Quan series: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd/coll_hua.htm I have the "Running Tiger Fist" vcd, and it's really good. Hua was another major inspiration to modern wushu. This form is similar to Cha Quan, but a bit more grounded. Lots of hand techniques, but same basic body requirements.