PDA

View Full Version : Full Contact training tips

DaveTart
01-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Hi there, hope someone out there can help me.

There is a guy at my club who is trying to get into fighting full contact. He has done a few FC fights, wants to do more, and wants to be able to train properly for them.
However: Our club ISN'T a full contact club, so he has no-one to be able to train full contact with.

So (apart from joining a different club) what would people advise training wise?
I am thinking along the lines of how I can help him build up his conditioning to Full Contact without injuring him (i outwiegh him by roughly 2 stone, so me belting the crap out of him probably), how to get him to build up his FC power without crippling me (i have no desire to fight FC, i like my nose the shape it is), and so on and so forth.

Any thoughts?

Liokault
01-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Make your class full contact. Make time for more full contact by doing less form. Join the future.

If people in your class dont want broken noses, there is nothing wrong with full face head guards.

Paul T England
01-05-2007, 06:18 AM
I have been trying to get my students into sparring both light and full contact but pushing them to buy equipment is the hardest part.

I gradually introduced light sparring and one step into my classes and we are starting a sparring class this month.

The best advice I can offer is to gradually introduce people to sparring otherwise those that might gain the most will be scared off.

Paul

DaveTart
01-05-2007, 06:29 AM
He already spars, and wins, in light continuous tournaments. Now he is turning his hand to more FC stuff.

So his technique is there, it's just the full contact conditioning that he really wants to work on (so: stamina, taking hits, and hitting hard). Any idea's for drills??

So far we have sparred normally to start off with, and then I've slowly started hitting him harder and harder, until I'm going at him FC.

bodhitree
01-05-2007, 06:49 AM
use gear and start off light to head heavy to body. maybe have someone moderate/ref each fight to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

DaveTart
01-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Do we want to slowly build up more contact to the head? Or is it best to keep it light for obvious safety reasons?

As for refs, good call: despite me outweighing him, I was the one more fearful of being injured! (but then, I've never fought FC).

bodhitree
01-05-2007, 07:27 AM
whether or not to increase the intensity has to be up to the individual and the school and upon their goals. For students who don't want to compete, obviously they may not wish to risk injury. For others they may wish to fight, and whether or not the school coaches fighters is a decision the management/owners/instructors have to make.

DaveTart
01-05-2007, 08:08 AM
As stated above: This guy wants to fight more Full Contact fights. I want to help him. I am after training tips, drills, etc to aid his training for up and coming fights.

bodhitree
01-05-2007, 08:20 AM
find out the length of the rounds, there will be a one minute break between rounds. Sparring, buy a timer, you can get one at www.titleboxing.com and set it to the appropriate round length and take like a 30 second rest between rounds. this increases recovery time. Do: shorten rest period. Do Not lengthen round, keep it what it will be during the fight. If a fighter trains 3 minute rounds for a fight with 2 min, their body is used to conserving energy for that third minute. I would say for training use 16 oz gloves and of course headgear, mouthpiece, groin protector, and probably shinguards. Go at about 70% when sparring. have people watch the sparring for imput suggestions. For drills, the same timing scheme as for sparring with rounds on focus mitts, heavy bag, speed bag, and double ended bag. If your student wants to compete, it will probably be best that they do so in a facility that trains for competition because they will be more equipped to deal with the needs of the student. they will also have experience with weight issues, how to deal with a hurt fighter, cornermen, etc. etc. I'm not saying you can't do it, but there may be better options?

stricker
01-05-2007, 08:25 AM
look at what thai boxers do : conditioning on the pads, hit and kick them HARD for timed rounds. spar light and fight often...

bodhitree
01-05-2007, 08:36 AM
practice session
jumping jack warm up x2 min
30 sec rest
shadowboxing x2 min
30 sec rest
heavy bag focus on jab/footwork x2min
30 sec rest
focus on combos/headmovement x2 min
30 sec rest
punching out from inclose/moving in (with jab) and working inside x2min
30 sec rest
sparring
2 min rounds with 30 sec rest X 4
focus mitts thai pads, you get the idea.
For conditioning he should be doing interval training with running, skipping rope, and there are different strength programs. (circut weight or body weight) Find out what weight he want to fight at. Find out when he wants to fight so he can refine his diet and set some goals. Go to
www.rossboxing.com

do a google search. Read how fighters train. slogans: bunches of punches, sweat more bleed less, fights are won in the gym, keep you hands up,

oh make sure he has different sparring partners who have a background of a combat art (punch with boxing punches).

DaveTart
01-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Cheers for all that!

Finding people to fight is not a problem: Our club has lots of fighters, it's just the full contact fighters we lack...

I shall test my google-fu and see what I can find.

Golden Arms
01-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Short answer? Get him on the heavy bag for rounds, at least 6 rounds, 3 minutes a pop, 30-60 seconds rest in between, every day, all out. Then have him shadow box at least 3, min rounds, same, 30-60 seconds rest as well. The rest is optional, that will put him in a place where he has decent balance, he can dish out some damage, and the light contact stuff will still help his timing. For the body, I would just start doing sets of 50 situps, working up to 200+ a day on training days. Anything more he can do will just add to it.