PDA

View Full Version : Article: Western Boxing and Xingyi

xingyiman
09-14-2001, 05:27 PM
The latest issue of the Journal of Asian Martial Arts has an article comparing and contrasting American Western Boxing with Xingyiquan. Just thought I'd post this so you all could check it out. What are your thoughts about the article?

unclaimed effort
09-14-2001, 08:33 PM
what's the site?

-------------------------
What is a tree without it's roots? What is a martial art without its basics?

Stranger
09-17-2001, 03:41 PM
I liked it. I am not a hsing-i practitioner, so by comparing and contrasting it to Western boxing (which I am familiar with) some confusion on my part was cleared up. It made me want to study hsing-i even more.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

TheBigToad
09-17-2001, 06:00 PM
Asain Journal of Martial arts is quickly becoming and more expensive verison of Inside Kung Fu, meaning of have to pay more to read the same low level crap.

I am the big toad and this is my pond.

razakdigital
09-17-2001, 06:04 PM
Big Toad,

I hear you lol...I read the article and it was ok. I think it needed more examples and a part 2 for it to be more digestable. I have to re-read it again because I'm not clear if it really explained the difference's between the both Western and Eastern boxing for the layman.

BAI HE
09-17-2001, 06:21 PM
That mag used to be great.
Such a pity.

http://www.homestead.com/~site/animations/icons/animations/smiley_face1__roaringA.gif

TaoBoxer
09-18-2001, 10:47 PM
The last few issue of JAMA were terrible. That article on Hsing I and boxing.....the Hsing I looked bad. No discernable elements..... so I dunno what was going on. Worst part is it was a rip-off an old Frank Allen article from Inside Kung Fu......

Abstract
09-19-2001, 08:48 PM
dang...shows how little I know 'bout Xingyi....I thought it was a good BASIC comparison. I don't really know enough about the art to have an informed opinion, I only know what I read, my pops taught me & my younger brother how to box when we were young, so I'm familiar with basics in Western Boxing. SO looking at it from THAT perspective, the article seemed to cover just basic points on Western boxing, so I assume that's all he was doing w/Chinese Boxing....or was it that bad??...anyways, i enjoyed the article alot.. ;-

on a side note though, after I become more proficient at Wing Chun, i would like to delve into Xingyi.

razakdigital
09-19-2001, 09:07 PM
Why wait to be good at Wing Chun? Why not delve into Hsing-I now?

Abstract
09-19-2001, 09:49 PM
1. can't afford to do both
2. wife would kill me if I left the house 5 nights a week+weekends to train
3. nobody teaches it around me

so, in a few years, imma definitely give it a go, nahmsayin? ;)

razakdigital
09-20-2001, 06:34 AM
Where are you in NYC?

Dietmar
09-25-2001, 04:22 PM
The Journal of Asian Martial Arts is one of the best publications in this field.
A must read for every serious martial artist.
Regards to you all