PDA

View Full Version : Question For lkfmdc And Other Lama Pai Sifus On Lama Pai and Shuai Jiao

desertkruzr
01-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Hello,
Can you tell me more about the types of Shuai Jiao throws that are incorporated into Lama Pai? To what extent are they used? Are Shuai Jiao throws a large part of the Lama Pai Curriculum?
Thanks!

lkfmdc
01-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Not sure what you mean by "types" but there is a lot of shuai jiao in Lama pai. The kicks and punches set up most of the throws.

desertkruzr
01-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks Sifu Ross.
What I meant by types of throws was does Lama Pai get extensively into all of the various throwing methods that are employed in classical Shuai Jiao, or just some of them?
My understanding of Shuai Jiao is limited, but I have a good friend that studies it with someone who learned directly under the late Tung Sheng Ch'ang (a.k.a. the iron butterfly), and he has started teaching me the basics of it whenever we can get together. It is my understanding from him that there are 24 basic throwing methods in classical Shuai Jiao, off of which many other throws are then built. So I was wondering how extensively the Lama Pai curriculum got into all of this. Being that both Shuai Jiao and Lama Pai were developed in geographic locations that were somewhat close to each other, I would imagine that Lama Pai does have a lot of Shuai Jiao in it.

On another topic, I don't know if you have seen my post on this, but I would love it if you, or one of the other Sifus that had learned under Chan had put out any instructional videos on Lama Pai or Choy lei Fat (not sure you guys spell it that way). Are there any out, or do you know of any in the works that may be out soon?
Thanks!