PDA

View Full Version : Chicago area Wing Chun recommendations

alvanos
01-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi all,

Are there any good Wing Chun schools in the Chicago-land area (city or burbs?) I'm not looking for a yellow-pages dump, rather first hand information and knowledge of the Sifu's teaching - their reputation, etc. I'm posting the same question for Shaolin and Praying Mantis in their respective forums; these are the three styles I'm most interested in.

Tx!

Shaolindynasty
01-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure where in chicago you are but there are 2 good schools that I have direct experience with.

First let me say I am not a WC practitioner. I practice choy Lay Fut but I train along side WC guys at the Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association in Chinatown. It's wong shun leung (sp?) branch. They are very good a applying WC in sparring. You can get more info at www.ngfamilymartialarts.com

Further south in the burbs there is the place where me and one of my kungfu brothers (a wing chun practitioner) teach. We teach our respective arts side by side just like at the chinatown school. I highly recommend his class. He is very reality/selfprotection based.

Here's the contact info

Lee's Martial Art Academy
15546 S Cicero Avenue
Oak Forest, IL 60452-3602
Phone: (708) 687-8707
Fax: (708) 802-7318
www.leesorientalmartialartsupply.com

You can also see a sample of the skills we teach by looking at the demo reel in my signature.

AndrewP
01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Tony Kariotis teaches north of Chicago called Glenview. His website is www.mukjong.com

He's a bit eccentric but very well experienced and informed. I was with him for 4-5 years until life and school crowded out wing chun for right now.

AndrewP

hunt1
01-09-2007, 05:22 PM
First thing visit a couple of schools to see if you like the teacher.

The best wing chun teacher in terms of skill in Chicago is Phil Nearing. You will not find anyone that knows that would disagree. He also is very skilled in BJJ earning his belts from Carlson Gracie. Which is impressive for a guy pushing 60.

However the thing to keep in mind is that the best teacher for you may not be the best fighter or the one with the most years of study.

Sam
01-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Sifu Chuck Kennedy
4222 N. Milwaukee - New Location
Chicago, IL 60641 USA

Phone: 773-727-0550
E-mail: chicagofutsao@comcast.net
Home Page: http://home.comcast.net/~chicagofutsao