PDA

View Full Version : Chicago area Shaolin recommendations?

alvanos
01-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi all,

Are there any good Shaolin schools in the Chicago-land area (city or burbs?) I'm not looking for a yellow-pages dump, rather first hand information and knowledge of the Sifu's teaching - their reputation, etc. I'm posting the same question for Wing Chun and Praying Mantis in their respective forums; these are the three styles I'm most interested in.

Tx!

Royal Dragon
01-09-2007, 09:01 AM
I have a freind of mine who teaches Hung Gar at the Aurora Park dist. And I know another who teaches the Shaolin based Nanjing Long fist in Naperville.

There is rummur that someone teaches Song Shan Shaolin in Aurora, but I have yet to find him.

What flavor Shaolin are you interested in?

Lamassu
01-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Not yet (that I know of), however, There will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening up in Evanston sometime this year (when exactly hasn't been decided yet). If you like, I'll keep you informed on how things progress. As for Wing Chun and Mantis, I don't know of any schools that teach these personally. I only know of a Wushu school in Evanston that also teaches Sanshou and a Tai Chi school, also in Evanston. I can give you their contact info. if you're interested.

Shaolindynasty
01-09-2007, 10:35 AM
There is rummur that someone teaches Song Shan Shaolin in Aurora

It's true. A long distance student of Yan Ming. I don't have contact info. We had a couple of his students train at our school for awhile.

Alvanos- If you are interested in Southern shaolin styles check out my response in the wing chun forum.

Royal Dragon
01-09-2007, 11:33 AM
If you get contact info, please let me know. Aurora is very close to me, and I would be interested in meeting up with him.

Royal Dragon
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
however, There will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening up in Evanston sometime this year (

Reply]
Oh dear lord, we get rid of Oom Yung doe, and now we have Shaolin Do moving in to fill the void?? What, does Chicago have a certian quota of known frauds that it must maintain?

Lamassu
01-09-2007, 12:25 PM
however, There will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening up in Evanston sometime this year (

Reply]
Oh dear lord, we get rid of Oom Yung doe, and now we have Shaolin Do moving in to fill the void?? What, does Chicago have a certian quota of known frauds that it must maintain?

Whatever :rolleyes:

Alvanos: ultimately you're going to have to look and see for yourself which school works for you and which one doesn't. I find Shaolin Do to be very effective and a lot of fun, but don't take my word (or Royal Dragon's) for it; try it out yourself.

Royal Dragon
01-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Shaolin Do is not shaolin though. so responding to this thread was just dumb.

Lamassu
01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Shaolin Do is not shaolin though. so responding to this thread was just dumb.

What, you expect me to agree with you? Of course it is, prove me wrong.

Royal Dragon
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Read the shaolin do thread.

Lamassu
01-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I have several times, very amusing. Like I said: prove me wrong.

Royal Dragon
01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I think at this point, the over all martial community HAS proven you wrong...deal with it.

Lamassu
01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I think at this point, the over all martial community HAS proven you wrong...deal with it.

Ooooookaaaaay. :confused:

Anyway, regardless of what RD or anyone else on the site may think of Shaolin Do there will be a Shaolin Do kwoon opening in Evanston later this year, and everyone in the Chicago area who wants to try it out are welcome to. In fact, I want to thank you Royal Dragon, your belittling of the martial art I'm studying and grown to love has shown me the way. I'm more determined than ever now to get this kwoon up and running, and I'll make sure that not only will there be an SD kwoon thriving in Evanston, but I'll do everything in my power to make it spread throughout the entire state of Illinois. You've really lit a fire under my a$$ to see this through.

Again, thank you Royal Dragon. :)

Ban-Hou
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Speaking of Chicago area, is Golden Mountain KF still around?

Thanks

onyomi
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Why not check out one of the Mantis/Longfist schools mentioned in this thread:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44270

Mantis isn't exactly Shaolin, but it is a great style originally based on Longfist/Shaolin arts. One of them also teaches Longfist, one of the arts traditionally associated with Shaolin. If you want real CMA and something close to real Shaolin, then go with traditional Mantis or Longfist.

Old Tiger
01-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Lamassu,

If you are that inspired, then you should open a Shaolin Do place in chinatown and the new chinatown area over by Broadway & Aryle. Your Shaolin Do will have much more credibility if the chinese community accepts you. ;)

Shaolindynasty
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Mudslinging aside....I would sugest visiting either of the schools I listed. Then I would suggest comparing them to other schools. Then make the choice that is best for you.

Lamassu
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Lamassu,

If you are that inspired, then you should open a Shaolin Do place in chinatown and the new chinatown area over by Broadway & Aryle. Your Shaolin Do will have much more credibility if the chinese community accepts you. ;)

I agree, and in time I'll do just that; thank you for the suggestion. I'm starting in Evanston though, because that's where I live and I know a few businesses up here that are willing to rent out their space for my kwoon when they're not using it (ie. tai chi and dance schools). Something I picked up when I first started taking Shaolin Do classes in San Marcos, to start small and focus on attracting and keeping students and then once I have a solid base and raise enough money, I'll be able to get my own space and eventually branch out (thinking long term here).

Royal Dragon
01-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Yes, Golden Mountian is still around. They are a VERY good, but small club.

Ban-Hou
01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes, Golden Mountian is still around. They are a VERY good, but small club.

Hi,

Do they teach? Where at?
Thanks~

Royal Dragon
01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I am not sure where they are holding classes. I know theya re local to Naperville.

Go to the main board, and put a post up for Monkey slap, and ask. He would know.

Ban-Hou
01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks! I will do that.

Old Tiger
01-11-2007, 07:37 AM
There's a guy who teaches Long Fist in the Wheaton Park district.

wutangforever
12-09-2007, 07:53 PM
If anyone was still watching this thread and didn't see the new thread, you might want to check out our discussion here:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48445

There are at least two schools right in China town, one around 23rd and Wentworth (NG Family, Choy Lay Fut), and one at 29th and Archer (Chicago Shaolin Temple, Songshan Shaolin).

Later,

Ben

sha0lin1
12-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Something I picked up when I first started taking Shaolin Do classes in San Marcos, to start small and focus on attracting and keeping students and then once I have a solid base and raise enough money, I'll be able to get my own space and eventually branch out (thinking long term here).

Is this the one and only Derek from San Marcos. How are you?

AllstarShaolin
12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I began taking classes at a school in Naperville which opened in July of this year that I would recommend...Allstar Kungfu.
I'm just a beginner, but what they have been teaching me seems to be very traditional. They have 3 Sifu's from China at this school. I have not investigated many schools outside of the Chicago area, but it seems like a rare opportunity to be able to learn from a knowledge base of 3 Sifu's at one school. I love it. I'm glad I chose to study KungFu here and at 4.5 months into it I become more addicted to it every day.

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-18-2007, 07:40 AM
That is the same location where we had our school for a while. I went in there and introduced myself some time ago. They seem like friendly and knowledgeable teachers. We did some forms comparisons and they were very good, especially with the external stuff. It was a bit too modern for my tastes, but they are definatly good at what they do.

I hope they are more successful in that spot than we were.

Shaolindynasty
12-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Chicago kung fu

Chinatown
www.ngfamilymartialarts.com

South suburbs
www.hungsingchoylayfut.com

mkriii
12-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Grandmaster Tsai has a school in the Chicago area. Last I heard his son was running the school for him while he is in China. Not sure exactly where his school is located but Grandmaster Tsai has come to our school before to do seminars and his kung fu is excellent. I'm sure you can find him in the phone book or you can google him.

TaichiMantis
12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Grandmaster Tsai has a school in the Chicago area. Last I heard his son was running the school for him while he is in China. Not sure exactly where his school is located but Grandmaster Tsai has come to our school before to do seminars and his kung fu is excellent. I'm sure you can find him in the phone book or you can google him.

Grandmaster Tsai now resides and operates a school in Shandong China. His youngest son, Sifu Johnny, is in charge of the family system. His other son, Sifu Kenny had a school...not sure if still running.

Here is a list (http://www.tsaiskungfu.net/locations/) of Chicago area schools affiliated with Tsai's Shaolin Chuan Fa.

mkriii
12-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks TaiChiMantis, I was trying to think of his website so I could save it. My teacher(s) and GM Tsai are good friends. Do you know John Dufresne or Rusty Gray? John's my teacher and I have worked out at Rusty's school and attended some seminars.