PDA

View Full Version : Boston area Nei Jia

TaoBoxer
09-16-2001, 12:59 AM
Who is practicing in Massachusetts, Rhode Island or Cow Hampshire? I am looking at relocating and I want to keep training when I do.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

TaoBoxer
09-16-2001, 01:03 AM
I know there was a guy in western mass, like in the Dedham area who lived in Taiwan and trained under Wang's successor, and also knows a lot abt the I Kuan Tao. Anyone know if he is still teaching?

Stranger
09-16-2001, 01:05 AM
There is an instructor under William Chen teaching out near Cape Cod.

Boston Kung Fu Taichi Institute.

Dr. Yang in Jamaica Plains.

Bow Sim Mark is listed on Mike Patterson's page, but people have mentioned on the forum that she teaches mostly modern wushu now (I don't know).

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

OldFatBaldGuy
09-16-2001, 08:14 PM
I saw the Gin Soon Tai Chi Federation website. This is their address and phone #. Can't tell you anything about them.

33 Harrison Avenue,Boston,MA 02111,(617)542-4442

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

BAI HE
09-16-2001, 08:40 PM
try www.southshoreinternalarts.com (http://www.southshoreinternalarts.com)

Stranger
09-16-2001, 09:58 PM
BaiHe,

yeah, that guy is the rep of William Chen as well as one for John Painter.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

BAI HE
09-17-2001, 01:33 PM
I've heard good and bad and all on the net.
I'm moving towards Duxbury in July, should I check them out?

Stranger
09-17-2001, 02:34 PM
You're asking the wrong person, if you're asking that question to me. I'm good with a webiste link or other contact info, but I have no experience in neijia and haven't found the teacher for me yet.

I do read a lot of posts on this forum, and I can say that people who have actually taken the time to train with Painter, all seem pleased. The ones who are belittling his ability seem to base their opinion on internet theory.

If I had the chance, I would check him out based on the recommendations of members like Painter's student Kevin(the Big Toad) and count (whose sifu Jason Tsou hosted a Painter seminar). They are two of my favorite posters on this forum. There have definitely been a lot of threads on this forum wherein Painter's skills have been discussed and other skilled forum members may have backed Painter's skill, but I can recall these two members in particular having good things to say.

Both Painter and Chen seem to have their supporters and detractors, but from what I have read I believe they are legit. They have some big name supporters among other respected sifu. Since the instructor in Duxbury is a rep. of both, I'd check it out. But remember, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about personally. :o

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

BAI HE
09-17-2001, 02:38 PM
Strange-one.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6300269167.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

TaoBoxer
09-17-2001, 04:18 PM
:(

All I gotta say is that if ANYONE...and I mean ANYONE had ever seen or heard of the "Li family" and their martial arts, I'd say ok....but so far that hasn't happened.

TaoBoxer
09-17-2001, 04:27 PM
What I'd really rather read is WHO is practicing Nei Jia in the Boston area. I know there is a cat teaching Hsing I in the Porter Square area... Anyone know about him? What about China Town? I know there was a Wah Lum school in Chinatown years ago. What about the parks? Anything going on in Quincy? I know there is a large Asian American population there.

Someone from Jareks site hooked me up with a group in Cambridge.....I know you guys will help a brother out :)

Stranger
09-17-2001, 05:47 PM
I'm tapped for info. :(

The last three on my list are in Boston and the vicinity.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

thumper
09-17-2001, 07:38 PM
He has a group in Boston. You can go to www.pa-kua.com (http://www.pa-kua.com) and check his Instructor's list for his Boston group.

"it's all about the basics"

Victor
09-17-2001, 09:16 PM
In New Hampshire (live free or die) as opposed to tax-accshuetts (a-choo) I teach tai chi every sunday morning on my driveway, in Derry, NH. I've had the same small group for about 15 years, and we practice all year long (even -20f in the Winter). There is no fee involved

My Yang 108 derives from my studies with Ernie Rothrock (Pittsburgh) from 25 years ago.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu
isshim@mediaone.net ;)

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu
www.funkydragon.com/bushi (http://www.funkydragon.com/bushi)

Guandi
09-18-2001, 12:27 AM
>All I gotta say is that if ANYONE...and I mean
>ANYONE had ever seen or heard of the "Li family"
>and their martial arts, I'd say ok....but so far
>that hasn't happened.

are you searching for internal arts practitioners or for lineage trees?

Guandi

BAI HE
09-18-2001, 01:12 AM
Quincy (my hometown) offers only TKD right now, Billy Blanks used to have a school there.

Wah Lum is in Quincy as well as Chinatown.

There is Bak Hok pai (my pai) in Chinatown as well as Wushu with Bow Sim Mark.

There is a cool Wing Chun school in Cambridge and Boston Tai Chi (and a nat'l recognized San Shou kwoon) in the Back Bay.

There is a great Kenpo (Esposito's) school in Newton.

And Ford Perfect (board member) knows of a BJJ school in watertown.

Somerville has Mitsunari Kanai and the NE Aikido federation.

Framingham and South Boston have Bushido-Kai and Renrikan respectively ( Tony Annesi's former Kameshin folks) offering Traditional Okinawan
Karate and Aiki-jj.

What are your main areas of interest and where in Mass. do you think you'll settle.

Regards. Pete.

Ky-Fi
09-18-2001, 03:06 AM
I study at YMAA, and Dr. Yang teaches both in his Jamaica Plain HQ, plus weekly at the branch in North Andover--I think his instruction is awesome.

I met one of the guys listed with South Shore Internal Arts, Alan Shapiro, a couple years ago,who I believe teaches at Brookline Tai Chi. He was a very nice guy, and he was hosting a William CC Chen workshop, which I liked a lot. I couldn't quite put all the pieces together, though, because CC Chen is VERY fighting-oriented, yet I specifically recall in the brochure I picked up at Brookline Tai Chi that they emphasized that the Bagua they teach was not geared toward combat. You may want to contact them to get the full picture.

And, as Bai He said, I believe the Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute is very well-regarded for producing national-level san shou fighters.

TaoBoxer
09-18-2001, 09:17 PM
I am gonna be in Quincy (Noth Quincy Station on the Red Line).

So far I got a good line on a guy teaching in Cambridge that sounds legit. Ba Gua, Tai Chi, Hsing I, some Shaolin, etc.

I used to train with Tony Annesi in Framingham, and he is great. A friend of mine is teaching KoRyu ju jitsu out by Allston and I think I'll hook up with him while I search out some good Ba Gua.

Oh...Guandi... STFU.

TaoBoxer
09-18-2001, 09:22 PM
My focus of training is:

1) combat effective arts

2) culturally and historically intact arts (ie lineage)

3) positive, non-competitive, and hopefully tite-knit class enviornment

Killah-B
09-19-2001, 05:53 AM
Well I 've studied in the Boston area,and still.Looking for Nei Jia?

As stated before Yang Jwing Ming in Hyde Park,Is a VERY good instructor in Yang Taichi.

I study with Master Kay-Chi Leung in Cambridge(right off the redline),he is in the WUTANG lineage of G.M.Liu of Taiwan. He teaches Yang,Chen Style Taichi, also Yin Fu Bagua(Gong BaoTien),Hsing I. Also other external styles.Need anymore info i'll try to help.I've been In your shoes,Iwas posting the same last year! ;)

TaoBoxer
09-22-2001, 07:00 PM
thats it? no one else?

jun_erh
09-26-2001, 02:24 AM
Mantis school is on 17 edinborough in Chinatown. Bob Rosen instr. I was just there so it's still there yeah. Dedham is not western mass. Calvin Chin teaches tai chi and tiger crane in Newton. Check my (Today)post on the kung fu forum pertaining to Boston if you want.

jun_erh
09-26-2001, 02:26 AM
that's not all. there 's alot of interest around here in Aikido and ju-jistu with intense sparring, etc all the colors of the rainbow