PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun and tai chi

dre_doggX
09-16-2001, 09:07 PM
I have been think of added wingchun in my tai chi chuan (chen sytle) because most of the movements constrast. but Tai chi chaun meaning(grand ulitmate) should accept of forms. (cause itsbased of Daosim). I do this because I like the best of both.
Leaning more on Tai ji quan though.
give me your imput.

Andre Lashley

mantis108
09-16-2001, 09:14 PM
Why would you want to add WT in TC but not the other way around? Or did I just misunderstood you?
Are you talking expanding techniques or merging principles? Just curious, that's all. Thanks

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

dre_doggX
09-17-2001, 03:21 AM
Iam basing this on Chen style taijiquan. but wingchun techinques are kinda merged. not that Chen style when completely taught with all its tradiitional forms doesnt contain the smae moves as wing chun. however wingchun has a catogory of moves that are very effective and made to take advantages of a fighters(there styles) weaknesses.. I will study both from a teacher and not just videos and books(I have quite a few) before I tell "finish" this.
Yes a tai chi style. but I wont it to be tai chi(not just fight) to its max.

Ninjutsu(at least in theories ) has alot in common.
Espionage thoeries seem doaist if you ask me.????????

wingchun in it's simplicity. so at least i will merge some. but keep at least the sil lum tao form. tell me what you think.

Andre Lashley

Kaitain(UK)
09-17-2001, 09:50 AM
how long have you trained in Taiji? I would recommend sticking to it for a while longer before training another style as well... it sounds like you are going through the impatience many Taiji students suffer - think about why you want to do it and then question yourself further -"What do I want to get from training WC as well? Is it in Chen Taiji?"

There are no movements or principles in WC that are not in Taiji - the emphasis is different but there is nothing new there.

I strongly advise not to train WC until your push hands are extremely soft - WC will put a lot of Yang into it that will be detrimental if you are at an early stage. Not because WC is deficient in any way, but because yielding in WC is not yielding as it is meant in Taiji.

If you trained an external style when you were younger then the Taiji should be all you need - it just takes longer...

As a last point, you talk about keeping what you like from WC and discarding the rest. This is a bad idea - WC is a complete system that requires integration of all 3 forms for it to work. It'd be like using the four primary hands of Taiji (peng, Lui, Ji, An) but discarding the four corners - it wouldn't work.

Just my opinion, but I went through a similiar stage about 6 months ago. I'm glad I stuck with Taiji.

Good luck whatever you decide...

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

dre_doggX
09-17-2001, 02:48 PM
your right.
Wingchun my be easier to learn but that doesnt mean I should make it my main style.
I have train practice hard in both. Both my chi sao and push hands are good. (better chi sao cause I pratice tai chim mostly Chen and alittle of the Yang style) so wingchun wasnot that hard. However. I have not studied under a former instructor(I have tool TKD) but I have been studing tai chi for at least 5 yrs and wing chun about 2 1/2 your right wing chun just has a different approach. But Iam still going to study at least some aspects f ninjutsu, like how to intriragate people into telling the truth with words, esponiage, aslo feng shui, intention readind that stuff.

Andre Lashley