PDA

View Full Version : To Yao Sing on Fla. and N.Y. Law

desertkruzr
01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Yao Sing,

I envy what you told me in your last post about Florida 's laws. As a civilian living where I live in NY, I'd have a better chance of seeing God than getting a conceal and carry permit.

There have actually been some home invasions where I live in rural NY, so I do have a 12 ga. Mossberg that stays locked and loaded by the bed. If several armed assailants break into one's home, one's Kung Fu training alone will probably only take them so far.

NY law sucks when it comes to those who are attacked. Some years back, a 19 year old kid from the suburbs was down in Greenwich village in Manhatten with two of his friends. The 19 year old kid had a black belt in TKD from some suburban strip mall TKD school. Some a$$hole tried to hold them up at knifepoint. The ballsy kid throws a spinning hook kick at the guys head, strikes a little low, and ends up kicking the guy in the throat and breaking his windpipe, accidently killing him. The kid caught 5 years in prison for manslaughter! The reasoning? A black belt should have known to not use such excessive force! I $hit you not!

I mentioned that I only fight when absolutely necessary, but if someone is holding me up at knifepoint, I feel that I have the right to smash the $hit out of the S.O.B. And if the guy "accidently" gets killed, oh well! I guess he shouldn't have been out robbing people with a knife!

But NY law may not see it that way. It really sucks. I don't understand it.

Yao Sing
01-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I know how you feel, I grew up in Jersey.

Florida is great and none of the wild warnings from the anti-gun crowd have played out. The fairly recent law that allows citizens to fight back when attacked hasn't dropped violent crime as much as I thought but vigilante shootouts in the streets hasn't happened either.

Seems like all the violent crime is mostly limited to tourists (criminals know they're unarmed) and gang bangers shooting each other. Home invasions are typically at known drug houses.

At least I don't have to hesitate worrying about legal ramifications of defending my family from a home invasion or carjacking and the chances of either one happenning has been greatly reduced.

Come on down. :)

rogue
01-10-2007, 09:44 PM
desertkruzr, That's messed up. Get the heck out of NY and head south.

FuXnDajenariht
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
NY gun laws are just fine the way they are.

Yao Sing
01-11-2007, 07:13 AM
NY gun laws are just fine the way they are.

And giving the edge to the criminals I might add.

desertkruzr
01-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks Yao Sing! I would love to move down to FLA for many reasons, but the missus has a large Italian family in the greater NY area, and has very close ties with them. So unfortunately, she would never even consider it.

And you're exactly right about the NY handgun laws only aiding the criminals. When you think about it, that is very sadly the truth.

The NY handgun law that went into effect some years back (the name of the law escapes me at the moment) where they slap you with an automatic year in prison for possesion of a handgun without a carry permit only aids the criminals.

The average citizen is not going to risk getting a felony conviction, and spending a year in the living hell called prison by carrying a handgun without a carry permit. And as I said before, the average citizen in NY has a better chance of seeing God then getting issued a carry permit. But for many criminals, catching a year in prison is not a big deal. It's looked at as "three hots & a cot" for a year, and a chance to catch up with old friends on the inside. A lot of them could do a year standing on their head, so to them, it's not that big a deal.

Plus, when the bangers are out in groups of 4 or 5, they will often just have one handgun for the group, and they switch off on who's night it is to carry it to reduce the risk of any one person getting nailed on a handgun possesion charge. Of course, if the gun ends up getting used on any given night, it goes right into a storm drain, or whatever.

One way that handgun laws should be written instead, in my strong opinion, is that everyone should be allowed to own and carry a handgun. BUT, if you are caught commiting any kind of a felony, and you are in possesion of a handgun at the time, it's an automatic 10 year sentence right there, whether or not the handgun was actually used in the crime that was being commited. I think that would deter criminals from carrying handguns, and also give law abiding citizens the freedom to carry one for self protection. The way that the law is written now in NY is a complete joke.

When it comes to the way that NY handgun laws are currently written, I'm a big believer in the slogan "Gun Control Should Be Learning To Hit What You're Aiming At"!