PDA

View Full Version : how can I tell between a good / bad student?

EARTH DRAGON
09-18-2001, 01:54 AM
just want to flip things around to look at a topic from boths sides. techers,instructors, and sifu's how do you distinguish between a potentially good/bad student when you first meet?

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Nexus
09-18-2001, 02:15 AM
Distinguishing between good and bad with students is a failure in teaching. There are better and worse but not good and bad. The worst student is the one who ignores all his teachings, doesn't practice, but attends class, usually so they can tell people that they study XXXXXX the martial art. The better student does more than the worse student, hence being better.

Know that good and bad are an opinion and interpretation. Better and worse tend to be obvious to those with knowledge.

An example might be that an inexperienced archer who teachers archery because he has read archery books judges between his good and bad students by saying his good students do exactly what he says and his bad students don't follow his orders.

An experienced archer needs not distuinguish between good and bad, for he will determine his students progress by assessing how their form/techique is coming along. He will see which students are better, by those who are progressing quickly, and do what is necessary to aid those whom are worse by giving them advice and suggestions to improving their practice.

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

joedoe
09-19-2001, 02:17 AM
Haven't you heard the saying "There are no bad students, only bad teachers"? :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

unclaimed effort
09-19-2001, 03:05 AM
Haven't you heard the saying "There are no bad students, only bad teachers"?

Wasn't that from Karate kid?

-------------------------
What is a tree without it's roots? What is a martial art without its basics?

neptunesfall
09-20-2001, 03:47 PM
first off...i am not a Sifu. im my opinion though a bad student is someone who abuses what is taught to them, acts out of line during class and is disrespectful.