PDA

View Full Version : Fahrenheit 451

yat_chum
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Fahrenheit 451
The temperature at which all books catch fire and burn...

"Guy Montag is a fireman, but not the type of fireman we know. He is a fireman whose job it is to start fires, not put them out. Not once did he question his job, never did he wonder why they burned the books instead of read them. He never inquired as to why they were illegal, feared, and considered "evil". All he knew was that he loved his midnight runs, and he took pleasure in watching the flames consume the pages of books, burning them into nonexistence. Yes, for Guy Montag, life was good. Then he met seventeen-year-old Clarisse McClellan. Clarise told him about a time when firemen, instead of starting them, put fires out. She told him of a time when people read the books, not burned them. A time when people were not afraid. Clarisse made Montag do something he hadn't really done before: think. Montag thought and thought, and he realized that he wasn't happy at all. Then Montag met a professor who told him of a future where all people could really think and read in peace. Suddenly, Guy Montag knew what he had to do..."

If you were only able to keep one martial arts book from your collection, what would it be?

syn
01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
My only one really is the Martial Arts encyclopedia. I'm not much of a Martial Book guy.

Oh yeah and the Sun Tzu, probably the most famous Martial Book.

laugarkuen
01-13-2007, 03:02 AM
I may be displaying my ignorance here but wasn't Sun Tsu the author, not the book. He wrote the Art of War or some such didn't he?

laugarkuen
01-13-2007, 03:12 AM
I have not found one martial arts book profound enough to be saved above any others.

Cheating a bit but seeing as most Chinese martial arts have some Buddhist tradition (gross generalisation) I will save the Dalai Lama's Little Book of Inner Peace as I am reading it at the moment and getting alot from it.

jigahus
01-13-2007, 10:24 AM
What was the point of this thread?

Shaolin Wookie
01-13-2007, 10:48 AM
The greatest martial arts book ever?

Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and JKD.

Love it or hate it....you've probably all read it.

Shaolin Wookie
01-13-2007, 10:54 AM
After rereading the first post, I change my answer to "Journey to the West."

It's not really a martial arts book, per say. But it does have martial arts, and it's definitely the best one out there.

If there were anything in my apartment that I could save, I'd grab all of my weapons. And then I'd use my kwan dao to fight back the fire until I could get to my 4 volume set of the JTTW, or I'd die trying.

mambi
01-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Tao Te Ching.

Sang Feng Fan
01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Henry Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body