PDA

View Full Version : when practicing an internal art...

unclaimed effort
09-19-2001, 01:00 AM
Does it help to work out, does it make your skill worse, or maybe it doesn't effect anything to the martial art?

-------------------------
What is a tree without it's roots? What is a martial art without its basics?

Ima Pseudonym
09-19-2001, 02:01 AM
in my opinion it all depends on how you work out. if you are weight training for bulk and mass you will not be able to attain the greatest speed possible. however, if you train light weight with high reps the effect should be lessened. of course, i don't lift anymore at all, the only workout i do are just basic calisthenics using just body weight. once i learn some of the more athletic forms they will provide all the full body workout i need, after all kung fu done properly trains the whole body internally and externally.

D

I love the smell of iron palm in the morning, it smells like.... victory

prana
09-19-2001, 02:24 AM
unclaimed effort

It is often told not to lift heavy objects during Qi Gong practise. One should also remain flexible, by stretching or postural stances (depending on school of thought). I think strengthening via MA or Qi Gong, or Hatha Yoga is not a problem.

Also one is to stay away from overly acidic foods and "fish" and cold foods, such as Ice-cream (GULP!!!)

The mind is like a candle flame, blown by the 5 winds of distraction, to the past and future.

unclaimed effort
09-19-2001, 02:47 AM
"Also one is to stay away from overly acidic foods and "fish" and cold foods, such as Ice-cream (GULP!!!)"

Not that I don't believe you, but can you explain to me the reasoning to this?

Also, i don't lift wieghts (not anymore), i'm talking about exercises like....pushups, crunches, etc.

Kevin Wallbridge
09-19-2001, 03:09 AM
All of the complete internal systems that I know of include specific power training. This includes fajin exercises, weapons and resistence training tools.

Taiji spear is a good example of of a weapon used for power training. Bricks were a common apparatus for Bagua training. There are many other examples.

I think that a key is to ask how does the exercise serve to deepen connection and support relaxed and structured power?

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

prana
09-19-2001, 03:22 AM
unclaimed effort

Good question. I have never questioned it myself, but I have learnt this from the earliest days from my first grandmaster, to his disciples and now the same advice from many yogis.

Apparently it negates the collection of heat in the navel (Dan-Tien). But I have never bothered t ask why...

The mind is like a candle flame, blown by the 5 winds of distraction, to the past and future.

unclaimed effort
09-20-2001, 02:54 AM
thanks anyway

prana
09-20-2001, 05:34 AM
kinda sucks cause I am almost vegetarian, and I try not to eat leek, garlic, onions that sort of stuff anymore, so the only things that still "taste" great apart from raw green leafs are ice-cream and some "fruit juices". Ice-cream is my favourite, but it really hinders heat yoga.

Nexus
09-20-2001, 09:13 AM
You're not human prana! You're a buddha!

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

BIU JI
09-20-2001, 03:18 PM
If you stretch up well before and after working out there is no reason why you can't do both. As you know internal arts aren't all done slowly if you want to learn the martial side as well as the health aspects.

origenx
09-20-2001, 06:50 PM
Cold food or drinks slows down your qi, so it is not advisable to consume such right after your qi has been activated or excited (due to exercise, qigong, s*x, etc)..

Kumkuat
09-20-2001, 07:28 PM
BIU JI , I don't understand what you mean. Why do think internal arts practice slowly?

IronFist
09-20-2001, 10:26 PM
Ima Pseudonym said:

however, if you train light weight with high reps the effect should be lessened

Know what else will be lessened? Your results. Low weights high reps does just a little more than nothing.

azwingchun
09-20-2001, 11:17 PM
I would say that weight training in itself isn't a bad thing, though I have to agree with what was mentioned before about bulking up, unless proper stretching is done before and after this can affect speed as well as Chi flow due to the tension in the joints which obstructs chi, it was put to me that the joints are like rivers into oceans, if they are clogged Chi cannot flow smoothly throughout the body. As for what foods are good.....well I would believe that that has to do with each persons stage of health. Example-People speak about how good fruits are (most being of juicy form)for people, though a friend of mine as a heart murmur and a Chinese Dr of ours said to stop eating them, that juicy fruits will only worsen the condition.

I also believe anything over-done is bad for he body, possibly such as eating cold foods, eating too many hot foods are bad too. Remember the balance we must try to keep as far as Yin and Yang goes. Though there are specific things you shouldn't do right before Qigong as well as after. Those things being sex, caffiene products, alcholic beverages, smoking, going to the bathroom, and even relaxing to quickly. :D

unclaimed effort
09-21-2001, 01:52 AM
By staying away from cold foods, do you guys mean ALL cold food in general? or is there a specific type that is bad?

Repulsive Monkey
09-24-2001, 04:56 PM
Pretty much all cold and raw foods because they are usually considered to be damp forming foods which will (if persistently included in your diet) bring the damp like effects of lethargy, slow moving processes particularly to the important organs in the body like the Spleen, tiredness about. If maintained for a long time then they can turn into Phlegm and create internal problems, eg Qi Stagnation, Blood Stagnation etc.. So Ice-cream is considered a big no-no aswell as raw uncooked foods. It forces the Stomach Qi to work too hard, to generate the optimum temperature to digest properly, and therefore uses Digestive Qi with little efficacy.

Repulsive Monkey
09-24-2001, 05:52 PM
This topic has come up before, I'm sure of it. Moderate stuff is probably permittable but high intensity and localised muscle group work outs are probably not gonna do your Taiji any good whatsoever. One can if they want in parity with internal arts do other forms of exercise, but as long as it doesn't impede internal development.