PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps an exercise to break up the pacing

Zhuge Liang
01-13-2007, 12:37 AM
The Wan Kam Leung footage that Ernie provided got me to thinking. At this point I can almost recognize WSL family VT just by looking at people chi sau. There are characteristics that are immediately recognizable, such as taking position, flanking and jamming, explosiveness, etc. Then there are many other characteristics that I can't put my finger on, but will know it when I see it. But the point is, there is a consistency among practitioners in way they move and the way they respond to stimuli.

This indicates that there exists an underlying framework, or a set of guiding principles to the system at work that either consciously or unconsciously guides the practitioners. Yes there are a lot of ideas and principles in WC in general, but I'm not interested in that. What I'm curious to know is what is it that makes certain families of WC so distinguishable?

I'm only using WSLVT as an example; I'm curious to know from other lines as well. If you were to sum up what you think is your family's "guiding principle" in two or three sentences, what would it be?

To kick it off, let me start. Of course the obligatory "these are only my observations, and not necessarily reflective of my teacher's viewpoints nor representative of anyone other than myself," applies. But, if I where to describe what I observe to be the underlying principle of my family of WC, it would be this.

To matter-of-factly take the opponent's position if it is offered, take apart his position if it is not, and unleash yourself at the first sign of emptiness.

Might be mumbo jumbo to some, might click for others, maybe those who've seen enough of us in action (particularly Ken). No particular point to the exercise other than to satisfy curiosity. Participate if you're willing to share, or just observe passively if you're not, or just ignore if you think it's a waste of time.

Feedback welcomed too.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lau
01-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Alan, the two points you made about 'characteristics that are immediately recognizable, such as taking position, flanking and jamming, explosiveness, etc' and 'underlying framework, or a set of guiding principles to the system at work that either consciously or unconsciously guides the practitioners' are, in fact, the kuen kuit (fighting maxims) of the Wing Chun fighting system. The more kuen kuit one applies, the more one can apply the Wing Chun theory and concepts. It should be noted here that the kuen kuit I’m referring are those that have been passed down by past masters of a particular Wing Chun lineage. I suspect most of the kuen kuit, in so far as my lineage is concerned, were derived by Leung Jan and other earlier ancestors.