PDA

View Full Version : Odd?

syn
01-13-2007, 02:00 PM
So today I woke up with my mouth feeling funny so I went into my bathroom and looked into the mirror to see the bottom right side of my mouth swollen up. It seems over night my right salavary gland has swollen up like crazy, and because of it it's hard to eat, or drink since when I swallow my tongue pushes down on it. I thought I'd be sick because usually your glands swell up when you're sick but I don't feel sick at all, but I decided not to go to Kung Fu because I may just have something I don't feel. Here's some pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/zakrie/PICT1991edited.jpg My chin not tucked in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/zakrie/PICT1993edited.jpg My chin tucked in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/zakrie/PICT1994edited.jpg And here you can see the contrast in coloration and size from the right to left side.

I'm thinking of waiting a day for it to go down before I go into the doctors. Any of you guys have any idea what would cause this? And my left gland isn't swollen what so ever.

BruceSteveRoy
01-13-2007, 02:14 PM
my advice would be to go to a doctor. if you have an infection it could be bad news. the good thing is the mouth is usually one of the fastest parts of your body to heal. you might try to take an anti-inflamatory to reduce swelling and swish salt water around in your mouth to help clean it out. but either way it could be a sign of something worse and you should get professional help. even if you wait and the swelling goes away does not necessarily mean its healed.

lunghushan
01-13-2007, 02:16 PM
You have lymph nodes down there, so if it's swollen you probably have some kind of infection in your mouth or the surrounding area.

Best to go see a doctor. And be sure to brush and floss well.

syn
01-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Hmm odd, I've recently made it a habbit to floss and brush twice a day, where as I used to do it only once a day.

Well alright, I'll probably go head in today then and get some antibiotics.

lunghushan
01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Hmm odd, I've recently made it a habbit to floss and brush twice a day, where as I used to do it only once a day.

Well alright, I'll probably go head in today then and get some antibiotics.

Well it could be something else. Last time the dentist probed around there I asked him why he was checking, and he said a sign of an infection in the tooth can be swelling down there.

He said they're a lot more interested in infections now than they used to be because they found that infections in the teeth can hurt the bones.

But it could be some other kind of infection, which is why I said the doc and not the dentist.

I mean, the bottom line is, it will probably clear up on its own because it takes your body some time to clear an infection, but if it spread or got worse then it could cause damage to your tissues so you probably don't want to take the chance. Plus, it could be something worse than just an infection (lymphoma or something), although that's more unlikely.

djcaldwell
01-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Well it could be something else. Last time the dentist probed around there I asked him why he was checking, and he said a sign of an infection in the tooth can be swelling down there.

He said they're a lot more interested in infections now than they used to be because they found that infections in the teeth can hurt the bones.

But it could be some other kind of infection, which is why I said the doc and not the dentist.

I mean, the bottom line is, it will probably clear up on its own because it takes your body some time to clear an infection, but if it spread or got worse then it could cause damage to your tissues so you probably don't want to take the chance. Plus, it could be something worse than just an infection (lymphoma or something), although that's more unlikely.

GOOD LORD MAN lymphoma!! Why not tell him his head is going to explode...maybe.

Syn - just go to the doctor if you're worried about it. I'm no physician and I'm not going to give a diagnosis. But lymphnodes do swell up (even unrelated to your mouth) when fighting something. It's happened to me - never that extreme that it was visible, but...Get it checked and don't worry about it unless and until a "doctor" tells you that you have too.

lunghushan
01-13-2007, 03:31 PM
GOOD LORD MAN lymphoma!! Why not tell him his head is going to explode...maybe.

LOL You should have met my mom. When I was a teen I got stuff like this from time to time, and the doc would always prescribe antibiotics. One time I wanted to try not taking the antibiotics to see if there would be any difference, and my mom had a total fit, telling me my head would rot off. LOL

You gotta spread the panic, or nobody's gonna go to the doc. LOL

syn
01-13-2007, 04:51 PM
So all going to the doctor did was cause me and my mom to get in a fight where I had to fight her off me.

Golden Arms
01-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Syn, just get some antibiotics if you can, if not, just treat it like a cold for now. I had this exact thing happen to me about 4 years ago, only it swelled up even bigger, and it was just because I got sick. In then end it wasnt a big deal, and if you hadnt brought it up I probably wouldnt have thought about it again.

syn
01-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Alright thanks.

lunghushan
01-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Syn, just get some antibiotics if you can, if not, just treat it like a cold for now. I had this exact thing happen to me about 4 years ago, only it swelled up even bigger, and it was just because I got sick. In then end it wasnt a big deal, and if you hadnt brought it up I probably wouldnt have thought about it again.

Yeah unless it stays around it's probably not a big deal. Moms tend to blow things out of proportion. Of course, they also tend to go to the doctor earlier and live longer.

BruceSteveRoy
01-13-2007, 05:57 PM
So all going to the doctor did was cause me and my mom to get in a fight where I had to fight her off me.

did you win?

syn
01-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I got my point across that she can't force me to do anything. It wasn't a so much win situation, her being the parent no matter what in the long run I'm going to lose.

Old Tiger
01-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Syn,

Have you seen a doctor yet? Recently, I had a swelling in my salivary gland and had to take antibotic. From this experience, I found out that infection can come from salivary stone which can block the draining of saliva and causes infection. Before this, I have only heard of kidney and gall stone. If the stone is small enough it can pass by itself. My doctor recommended that I drink a lot of fluid and eat a lot of sour candy, to produce more saliva and help pass the stone. Fortuantely, that help, otherwise, if the stone is too large, I would have to have outpatient surgery to remove it.

PangQuan
01-16-2007, 11:48 AM
did you win?

wheres the vid?

Ben Gash
01-16-2007, 12:51 PM
It's hard to tell what's up from the photo. If the gland is just blocked and inflamed then Try sucking lemons. This'll cause the the gland to secrete very strongly and quickly, and should hopefully clear the obstruction. If it's infected or you have a dental abcess, you'll need a doctor.