PDA

View Full Version : Peng Kong Fight Choreography

mickey
01-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Greetings,

Peng Kong is one of the better choreographers coming out of Taiwan. In The Leg Fighters, he played two parts: lead villain. and his brother. In this movie he breaks into unexplored territory by introducing groundfighting, DiTang, as a main style. Peng Kong manages to capture the spirit of "Ground Dragon" fighting. I went to the Sun Sing Theatre to see this and sat through the movie twice. Found on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HgAID-cbg

He was also one of the first to use Chinese wrestling in his films, as seen in the opening credits of Shaolin vs Lama (I think he also played the monk Yan Ser in this movie). This was the cinematic response to Jet Li's Shaolin Temple. Peng Kong proved himself worthy to the challenge and prevailed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1fcBmmWKE

Enjoy,

mickey

Jimbo
01-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Peng Kang also played the leader of the evil gang in The Woman Avenger, and I think was also the choreographer of that as well. I have also seen him in Lady Piranha, playing a Vietnamese torturer; in it he fights Cheng Pei-Pei (who starred in Come Drink With Me and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon).

You may spot him as one of the three weapons henchmen fighting Jackie Chan in Fearless Hyena and also possibly in Snake/Crane Art of Shaolin.

mickey
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi Jimbo,

Yes, Peng Kong was the choreographer of The Woman Avenger. His character supposedly knew the 18 Falls-- again more wrestling. That movie is a classic because he showcased the growth of Chinese cinematic fight choreography (it was like an homage): from the circular swing of the arms to only throw a kick, as demonstrated in the first fight scene, to his trademark approach that includes throws from Chinese Wrestling. Each scene got more and more sophisticated. I almost walked out during the first fight scene. I did not list it because I could not find footage of it at youtube.

Thank you for sharing those other films he starred in.

mickey

jethro
02-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey MIckey, I finally had the chance to see Leg Fighters. Maybe one of the 10 best final fights ever. For sure top 20. I have never seen someone throw their body around quite like Peng Kong. Who says fights in a desolate open ground type of place can't be great? Sun Jung Chi and Chin Lung were criminally underused but Sun did have that one good fight with Kong. I just wish they could have used him more.

I know you probably have this movie but if you don't then get it in the Martial Arts showdown volume 1. It is a 6 disc collection from tai Seng that is only 15.99. It has a great Lo Lieh Carter WOng movie called Killer From Above and also has another great Lee Tso-Nan movie in it, Challenge of Death. What you know about the spider claw?

mickey
02-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi jethro,

I do not know anything about the spider claw.

Sun Jung Chi is a great talent. He was spectacular in Shaolin vs Lama. And he is especially good at playing old masters. I have seen him in four movies that in some way have something to do with the monkey style. I wonder if that is the style he practices.

mickey

Jimbo
02-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Mickey:
I'm not sure if Monkey style is Sun Jung-Chi's style, but I do know he comes from a Peking Opera background in Taiwan; therefore, the skills and agility he displays would be ideal to adapt to a monkey type of system (or performing style). He actually played two roles in Monkey Kung-Fu; one as the monkey master, and another as a young kung-fu teacher being humiliated by Chang Yi; he ended up with Chang Yi's foot in his mouth(!).

There were at least a couple of Peking Opera schools in Taiwan that produced students who went on to become stars/stuntmen in KF movies in Taiwan and some Shaw Brothers productions. A couple I know of were the Fu Shing Opera School and the Lu Kuang Drama School. Besides Sun Jung-Chi, another badly underused former Opera performer is Chu Ko (Chu Ke).

Some of the other alumni of Taiwanese Peking Opera Schools include:
Cheng Tien-Chi
Kuo Chui
Lu Feng
Chiang Sheng
Wang Li
Angela Mao-Ying
Hsia Kuang-Li
Chia Ling (aka Judy Lee)
Li Yi-Min
Lung Shih-Chia (aka Jack Long)

I'm not sure but I suspect Peng Kang might also have been a former Opera performer.

jethro
02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Hey Mickey, I agree, he was simply amazing in Shaolin vs. Lama. he is maybe even better in his short fight with Peng Kong. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME IF YOU KNOW OF MORE MOVIES WHERE HE HAS DECENT ROLES. I have seen Monkey Fist FLoating Snake.

Also, you should check out Challenge of Death. It is the reteaming of Wong Tao and Dorian Tan. And Chang Yi's spider style has to be seen. Tommy Lee also has a very short but good fight. It is a good movie.

Jimbo
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Jethro:
I don't know if it's a decent role, but I *think* Sun Jung-Chi had a role in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha as the young monk who is put in Charge of training Hwang Jang-Lee. He really did'nt get to do much of anything, and it was filmed a couple years earlier than Shaolin Vs. Lama.

jethro
02-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Actually, the first time I saw that movei I thought it was him I had to be sure and I looked at his arms and they are twigs compared to Sun Jung-Chi. That actor in Hitman I have seen in a couple of other movies.