PDA

View Full Version : Som Bo Gin

Sam
01-15-2007, 04:33 AM
C.E.E. Contraction, Expansion, Explosion. Som Bo Gin Three Step Arrow, Three Power Strike. Internal tork powers. Iron jacket while in motion.

Sam
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Tork Power deals with squeezing, twisting, and compressing the muscles and organs. It is a "relaxed" contraction with a full vibration release. Combine this with hei-gung and your fa-jing will be ten-fold. In Som Bo Gin you arch the shoulders, sink in the chest, erect the spine, pull in the buttocks, contract the sphincter, pull the rib cage over the organs. pull up the stomach, and contract, expand, explode with controlled breath. Flaot, swallow, sink, spit.

Sam
01-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Lets look at chi scientifically. We know that the body works on electrical impulses from the brain through our nervous system. When we are injured the brain instantaniously realeases endorphans, adrennalin, and tries to repair the damage. Eastern belief is that Life Energy (Chi) follows these electrical empulses and blood circulation. When performing the Som Bo Gin the internal tork powers and contraction, expansion, explosion tricks the mind into sending electrical impulses and blood circulation to different parts of the body. Internal breathe control also increases the negative ions to charge the body.

samson818
01-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, but doesnt SomBoJin involve alot of dynamic tension?

Dynamic tension and release in the leg areas, lower abdominals, serratus anterior (rib cage area), and forearms/fingers?

To me, this in itself would release endorphins and increase the circulation of blood to those areas.

Also, how would one manipulate their organs?

Great discussion, BTW and thank you for the information.

TenTigers
01-17-2007, 12:42 AM
nice stuff! Perhaps you could shed some light on how SPM "changes you"? Perhaps it is the 4am stuff, but it seems to develop an aggression. Not simply reactions, but an intent of mind/will. It is as if it is woven into the forms itself. There is something there, I haven't been able to nail it down, but it develops within the practitioner-by itself. Truly a mysterious art. In the world of CMA, Hakka Kuen is a jewel. A precious Jade, kept close to the vest.

Buby
01-17-2007, 06:47 AM
TenTigers - "nice stuff! Perhaps you could shed some light on how SPM "changes you"? Perhaps it is the 4am stuff, but it seems to develop an aggression."

Hi TT,

Getting up at 4am would make anyone p!ssed off.LOLOLOL Seriously, I can't speak for SPM, but I would say take a look at the posture (Ha Hum Batt Boy)...it's Yin in nature.

Take care,

Buby

Shadow Skill
01-17-2007, 10:34 AM
good description of som bo gin... but what kind of discussion or you trying yo start? :confused: is there something you are trying to teach?

Sam
01-17-2007, 12:26 PM
You hit it on the head samson. Once you häve gotten the body use to reacting to the dynamic tension you can get the same reaction from your mind. Movements and thought processes will ellavate and circulate energy.

samson818
01-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I believe much of the aggression in SM can be attributed to the maximum dynamic tension/release efforts used in SBJ, chy sau, and doi chongs.

Akin to constantly relaxing in various forms of Taiji.
If you are aware of relaxation and sinking, you gravitate towards serenity and calmness.

If you are constantly pumping your muscles, tendons, and blood through tension/relaxation methods, you tend to feel powerful and aggressive.

Has anyone felt a considerable difference in training at 4 AM as opposed to other times of the day?

TenTigers
01-17-2007, 04:51 PM
well, speaking from personal experience-doing the form at 4am doesn't feel different, it's the effects that occur later in waking hours. Meaning, that at the time, there is nothing felt. Later, when trainig, things start to come out. Perhaps it is that the mind is at REM state, and the concious and subconcious are linked. We know that the body/mind does not differentiate between real and visualization. They have done experiments with sports teams with some doing practice and others doing visualization, and the results were the same, and sometimes better with the visualization group. Perhaps it is as Buby stated-cause I know I'm as cranky as a muthafocker when I am denied my beautyrest. You get me up at 4am, there better be a thong, harness,trapeze, and Lucy Liu involved, or I am one pizzed off gwailo.

samson818
01-17-2007, 11:57 PM
The 4AM training may have something to do with circadian rythyms.

CR's play an important role in regulating hormones and all that good stuff.
Maybe the synchronization of circadian rythyms, testosterone production, and dynamic tension/relaxation, specialized breathing patterns, etc.. is not such a coincidence....

SavvySavage
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I believe that the "great" southern mantis sifus/practicioners are good because of many reasons. Talent and prevous training are a big part. The more important reason these individuals(Mark Foon, Poo Yee, Lam Sang, etc) is because they practiced a lot. I don't think they spent time wondering about some secret chi gung method. They spent their time developing the attributes of their system. If Gin Foon Mark sat around all day just doing chi gung, then went to hang with his friends, he wouldn't have developed much skill. Two man drills, single person drills, drilling the form, arm conditioning(if you're into that stuff). All of these things are part of the puzzle. The body learns to breath on its own eventually. Sam bo gin probably has all the breathing the system needs. Some people may have extra chi gung sets they do that helped them but aren't necessarily part of the system.

I have one more thought about chi gung. You either do it or you don't. No talky, more doey!

forever3821
01-18-2007, 09:26 PM
i heard from people who were training for jook lum mantis must stay away from smokes, sex and alcohol. i understand no sex before the fight but no smokes, sex and alcohol for 2 - 3 years. i'll get blue balls after 1 month. :D

TenTigers
01-19-2007, 09:52 AM
He:"Do you smoke after sex?"
She: "I don't know. I never looked!":D
-sorry guys, I can never resist an opportunity for a bad joke!
(we now return you to our regularly scheduled topic)

SavvySavage
01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Until someone reveals this special breathing method(which I'm convinced is in the forms) all we can do is keep training.

I found what Robert Chu said to be interesting. Someone brought up southern praying mantis and he went into a story about how a few of his students were touching hand with jook lum people. The jook lum people were amazed that wing chun had so much power in it. I'm pretty sure RC's students gave them a good whooping but don't quote me cause I don't remember that part of the story. My point is that power is power, regardless of special chi gung.

samson818
01-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Clavicular breathing?
Thoracic breathing?
Diaphragmatic breathing?
Reverse breathing?
Use of elemental sounds while breathing?
Normal breathing and visualization?
Combination of all of these?

Lam Tong Long
01-23-2007, 06:26 AM
i heard from people who were training for jook lum mantis must stay away from smokes, sex and alcohol. i understand no sex before the fight but no smokes, sex and alcohol for 2 - 3 years. i'll get blue balls after 1 month. :D

Dude, I think that's a little off the mark!

Know of quite a few Jook Lum or other SPM Masters who smoke, drink, gamble and have a good few kids. And some that actually eat fatty foods!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?????

Don't believe everything you hear!

:D