PDA

View Full Version : Sumo and Tai Chi push hands

imperialtaichi
01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just got back from a long break, running all around Japan. :)

Been watching Sumo on TV almost every night, I'm particularly impressed with a Sumo called Asashoryu. Apart from showing great strength, he also showed great ability in "dissolving" the opponents, sometimes making them lose balance and throwing them off relatively easily using something similar to "Cai" or "Da Lu". At the moment, he had already won 8 bouts and only lost 1.

Cheers,
John

unkokusai
01-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Asashoyru came back after a very tricky tachiai yesterday. Its a tight field, but he could make his 20th tournament!

imperialtaichi
01-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Asashoyru came back after a very tricky tachiai yesterday. Its a tight field, but he could make his 20th tournament!

Where did you see it? I could only find some old bouts on youtube. I would love to watch the matches!

Cheers,
John

unkokusai
01-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Where did you see it? I could only find some old bouts on youtube. I would love to watch the matches!

Cheers,
John

Got a satellite hooked up just to catch TV Japan!:cool:

The problem is I'm staying up till 4AM everyday watching it! I'll be glad when this basho is finished and I can get some sleep!

imperialtaichi
01-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Got a satellite hooked up just to catch TV Japan!:cool:

The problem is I'm staying up till 4AM everyday watching it! I'll be glad when this basho is finished and I can get some sleep!

Danm! I envy you!

Cheers,
John

unkokusai
01-21-2007, 01:56 AM
And Asashoryu wins his 20th tournament, putting him into a very elite group indeed!!!

imperialtaichi
01-21-2007, 04:02 AM
And Asashoryu wins his 20th tournament, putting him into a very elite group indeed!!!

Right on! I don't just admire his strength, but he has really good techniques as well.

Cheers,
John

jrm
04-17-2007, 05:35 PM
cool vid from chinese TV. I think the tai chi guy may be from chen village if I'm making some of the words out correctly. can anyone translate what the sumo guy sais after the demonstration? enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpdzhYjx_zw&eurl=

imperialtaichi
04-18-2007, 05:36 AM
Interesting..... But:

1. The Sumo is no where near the skills of the top Sumos in Japan. Look up Asashoryu on Youtube to see some good Sumo clips.

2. The Sumo was playing by Tai Chi push hand rules... what would happen if the Tai Chi guy plays by Sumo rules?

The Sumo more or less said the Tai Chi guy's power is really great. And the Tai Chi guy said he had never encountered anyone so strong.

Thanks for the clip.

Cheers,
John

p.s. go to http://www.youtube.com/imperialtaichi and look under my favourites. I have a few Asashoryu clips saved.

jrm
04-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi Imperialtaichi,

I thought the video was just a good display of the power of rooting in tai chi. Being able to withstand the force of that brute pushing on you has to say something for your skill level.

Nice sumo videos. Asashoryu is certainly impressive. I remember you mentioning in a post once before about Asashoryu and how he seems to incorporate some tai chi elements into his style. I do notice that he is often the smaller (though he certainly looks very strong) of the two wrestlers on the mat so I could imagine how learning certain tai chi elements like emptying, rooting and force redirection could benefit someone with his size disadvantage. Has he actually studied some tai chi or has his style just naturally developed that way?

By the way, I've enjoyed your instructional videos, especially the REV one. Keep 'em coming please. (any tips on fajing?) You're certainly an asset to this forum.

Thanks

John

Vajramusti
04-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Sincerely appreciated seeing that clip. Thanks for the link,

joy chaudhuri

unkokusai
04-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Nobody really thinks that was for real, do they?

unkokusai
04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Interesting..... But:

1. The Sumo is no where near the skills of the top Sumos in Japan. .

That was Akebono, but the whole thing was just a put-on little demo for the show anyway. No conclusions to be drawn from it.

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akebono_Taro

it appears he is a yokozuna

regardless of what was being demonstrated i dont think hes a push over (no pun intended) sumo

unkokusai
04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akebono_Taro

it appears he is a yokozuna

He was. He retired a while back. Anyway, someone told those guys to just lean on each other for a few seconds for the show. That vid is indicative of nothing.

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
ya. i dont really feel it shows much other than the taiji guy moved out of the way when akebono was leaning more than he should have been.

anyone can do that. though if that was much of his weight, that guys stance is nice.

looked to me to just be a fun little thing to try and show off taiji to people who may not really know what they are watching.

unkokusai
04-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, it was at least partly a "See? Our wushu is stronger than those Japanese!" Sort of typical.

Nice looking gals on either side though!

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, it was at least partly a "See? Our wushu is stronger than those Japanese!" Sort of typical.

Nice looking gals on either side though!

lol, ya thats about what i was getting too.

you know, honestly when i first saw that vid, i thought i could see the same thoughts going on in akebonos head, but i bet the paycheck was worth it!

ya, the girlies are always a treat :D

unkokusai
04-20-2007, 03:05 PM
lol, ya thats about what i was getting too.

you know, honestly when i first saw that vid, i thought i could see the same thoughts going on in akebonos head, but i bet the paycheck was worth it!

ya, the girlies are always a treat :D

Maybe they are why he agreed to it!

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
haha, ya, i bet you're right.

Akebono: " I will not put my honor on the line for this false attempt to discredit my brothers! "

china t.v. " we have many girl for you Akebono "

Akebono: " where do i sign "

unkokusai
04-20-2007, 05:23 PM
LOL Good enough reason!

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Sho Nuff!!!!

imperialtaichi
04-21-2007, 04:26 AM
Ah, I didn't know that was Akebono... They were announcing in Chinese and I couldn't reckonize his face...

Of course it was not real! Anyone who had seen a Sumo match would know that's not how Sumos do things.

I don't think however Akebono had disgraced his brothers tho because it was just a "friendly" thing where no-one is supposed to win or lose anyway.

Kind of, political really.

Cheers,
John