PDA

View Full Version : Mixing it up

EarthDragon
01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Good readings board members.
Many years ago I use to vist other schools and get different ideas from time to time on things we can incorporate into our training.
I went to a boxing school and loved this exercise where they would jump over a rope back and forth then come up with a uppercut that was held by 2 people about 2 feet off the ground all the way across the school. Then they would make it 4 feet and the students would duck under comming up with the same uppercut so we started doing it a couple times a month as part of our warm ups just using 1 of our 8 punches. Well I am just trying to get some ideas from the board to bring some fresh workouts for spring..... care to share?

David Jamieson
01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
textual format doesn't lend itself well unfortunately.

If our group does a session with vids at any time before spring, I'd be happy to share. :)

Oso
01-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Buddy carries: pick someone up in a fireman's carry and run accross the floor with them. repeat as necessary. to add a difficulty level, the person to be carried starts off laying on the floor and you have to pick them up while they play dead.

to decrease the difficulty level, have two people carry one person.

EarthDragon
01-19-2007, 04:49 PM
thanks for the response guys. I just try to mix it up and i like to incorpoarate fresh ideas. The firemans carry excercise sounds great. I will do that next class. LOL they will hate me and you for it He He!

SevenStar
01-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Buddy carries: pick someone up in a fireman's carry and run accross the floor with them. repeat as necessary. to add a difficulty level, the person to be carried starts off laying on the floor and you have to pick them up while they play dead.

to decrease the difficulty level, have two people carry one person.

those are great. We add something extra to those - once you run with your boddy to the other side of the floor, do 10 squats before you put him down.

SevenStar
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Good readings board members.
Many years ago I use to vist other schools and get different ideas from time to time on things we can incorporate into our training.
I went to a boxing school and loved this exercise where they would jump over a rope back and forth then come up with a uppercut that was held by 2 people about 2 feet off the ground all the way across the school. Then they would make it 4 feet and the students would duck under comming up with the same uppercut so we started doing it a couple times a month as part of our warm ups just using 1 of our 8 punches. Well I am just trying to get some ideas from the board to bring some fresh workouts for spring..... care to share?

we have never done the jump overs, but we do the duck unders, and we do them with combinations of punches, not just one.

rogue
01-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Wow, that stuff sounds more impressive than my favorite drill which is seeing how many strippers I can fit on my lap. But I'll stick with the strippers.:D

lunghushan
01-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah, put a big board up against the wall at a 45 degree angle. Get everybody to run up the board, and down the board.

Now, every few months move it more vertical about 3 degrees until it's fully vertical. Supposedly that's how ninjas learn to run vertically up walls. (And I'm not making that one up).

Oso
01-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Wow, that stuff sounds more impressive than my favorite drill which is seeing how many strippers I can fit on my lap. But I'll stick with the strippers.:D

my personal best was 3 1/2

Oso
01-19-2007, 08:23 PM
those are great. We add something extra to those - once you run with your boddy to the other side of the floor, do 10 squats before you put him down.

we would just get punished w/ pushups: 25 for every time you dropped someone. then you had to fight the guy you kept dropping ;)