PDA

View Full Version : London Kung Fu

Davio
01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to start some sort of kung fu training, but I have no idea what to do. Could some of you guys recomend me something. I'm looking for something which has a big emphasise on conditioning, as well as regular full contact sparring. I've had experience to boxing and muay thai before, so places which train like that would be very welcome. I'm based in Camden in London, so preferbly places near that. Thanks in advance!

Nick Forrer
01-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Alan Orr

wing chun plus NHB and Catch wrestling

Maida Vale

Tue 730

Google for more info

You're welcome

David Jamieson
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
london, england? or london ontario?

BoulderDawg
01-18-2007, 10:30 PM
If it's London England I would suggest the Shaolin Temple UK. I went there last summer for a workout....and I got one. I still get tired thinking about it.

Just take the tube to Tufnell Park.

Liokault
01-19-2007, 12:54 AM
If it's London England I would suggest the Shaolin Temple UK. I went there last summer for a workout....and I got one. I still get tired thinking about it.

Just take the tube to Tufnell Park.

I have to agree with this. I really wanted to dislike the Shaolin Uk guys as being just a PRC Shaolin franchise, but the first time I saw them fight in San Shou I was really impresses, and it takes a lot to impress me.

It may or maynot be 'real Shaolin' but they sure are trained to fight.

Another thing I was impressed by was the Shaolin Temple Uk guys regular (arte they still going) fight nights and interclub events V KO kick boxing (a good Thai Boxing gym).

golden arhat
01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
stay away from master ang

Wong Ying Home
01-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Top two reccomendatios

Jim Uglow Hung Gar, Paul Whitrod Chow Gar...you can't get better than those two teachers in London

Davio
01-23-2007, 06:38 PM
sorry for the late reply.. Its London England. I considered Shaolin temple, but if I remember correctly, the prices are extremely expensive? Who is Master Ang? I'll see if I can check out master paul whitrod but I can't find Jim Uglow anywhere..

Edit: Found Jim Uglow school on the net

ps. Any closer schools to Camden?

Liokault
01-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Will Paul Whitrod and Jim Uglow get you doing full contact sparring anytime soon?

blackmantis
01-24-2007, 06:06 AM
One of my teachers has trained with both Jim Uglow and Paul Whitrod, and speaks VERY highly of both of them.

Another option is Alex Kozma, who is EXCELLENT, but does not hold regular classes as he lives in Thailand and is only somtimes in London.

As for Master Ang, I don't know either! Does anyone have any information on him?

S

CFT
01-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Maida Vale is not far from Camden really.

Continuing on the Wing Chun side ...

Desmond Spencer (Wong Shun Leung Ving Tsun via Philipp Bayer)
Sunday's at the Swiss Cottage Community Centre Trophy room, on Winchester Road Swiss Cottage NW3, times 2:30pm to 5:00pm.

desmondspencer123@btinternet.com

Wong Ying Home
01-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Again I repeat, Jim Uglow and Paul Whitrod....they are well worth travelling to !!

Davio
01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Woah! I misread the bit about Alan Orr, thought he was in the states... I am defeinately checking him out!
Do you guys know any San SHou teachers btw?

Liokault
01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Woah! I misread the bit about Alan Orr, thought he was in the states... I am defeinately checking him out!
Do you guys know any San SHou teachers btw?

LOL I know im going on, but shaolin temple uk in london is the best san shou in the UK by far right now.

Ben Gash
01-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I believe Paul Whithrod's training is pretty tough, and they also teach Muay Thai at the club http://www.chowgarsouthernmantis.com/news.php. There are a few PRC trained San Shou coaches in London, but as Liokault says, Shaolin Temple UK has a very good reputation.

Davio
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I would love to go the Shaolin Temple, but I am a student; I don't have as much money as they ask for, £60-£80 a month! Any PRC coaches would be great :-P.

Ben Gash
01-24-2007, 02:55 PM
If you go twice a week then that's £6 per session. I seriously doubt you're going to find cheaper in London outside of a student union society.

Liokault
01-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Or I think they charge 8 quid per hour on a class by class basis.

One bit of advice, stay away from the shaolin whanam people....they are total freakazoids

Wong Ying Home
01-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Pauls teaches Krabi Krabong, Chow Gar, Kalari Pyatt, Hsing Yi Ba Gua and Tai Chi Chuan.

He has full knowledge of all these systems and can teach the deep skills, with body mechnics, internal trainng and full understanding of teh applications.

The same goes for Jim Uglow with reagrds to his knowledge and skills.

Why waste the time with prc stuff when you have access to these two SiFu's

I know them both personally and cannot reccomend them enough

Liokault
01-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Why waste the time with prc stuff when you have access to these two SiFu's

I know them both personally and cannot reccomend them enough

I was thinking the same, Shaolin monk 'OK' just a franchise, not really monks.

Then I saw there guys fighting in San Shou and it really blew me away. They may or may not be 'real' shaolin (But I guess they are as real monks as you are going to find now), but what they are teaching and the guys they are turning out are not just better than what existed in san shou before by a little bit, they are leaps and bounds ahead.

For example, The UK team went from getting one 'charity' bronze (and one guy in hospital) in the last European championships (I think it was the last) before the Temple guys turned up, to a silver medal in the WORLD championships in 2005 and that guy only losing in the final to a really good semi pro Chinese guy!

As for P Whitrod, I have never heard any bad about him and I have heard lots of good, but how much san shou will he get the OP doing? Also, we have one of his guys teaching in Oxford, all I can say is 'meah'.

(I want to point out that I have no connection to the Shaolin Temple guys, I wish that they were crap so that I could bash the 'franchise' but the fact remains that they are very good.)

Ben Gash
01-25-2007, 04:04 AM
He didn't actually ask for San Shou originally though, he only asked for hard sparring.

Liokault
01-25-2007, 04:28 AM
In his first post he asked for full contact sparring, then latter in the thread he was asking for san shou

Wong Ying Home
01-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Sure if you want prc san shou go to the temple guys they are very good at that.

If you want Gong sau training go to Paul or Jim, they will teaching you fighting skills much deeper than san shou sport fighting.

I would only personally only train with jim or paul. I cannot make any statement about thier students teaching.

As for the san shou prc shaolin guys yes they are very good at what they do

But I know just how dangerous the fighting skills of jim and paul are and how good they are at it. They don't play sport fighting

Anyway I am done with this thread good luck in your search

What does an orange taste like?..Taste it and then you will know for yourself

PQS
01-25-2007, 10:49 AM
There is Bob Breen's Acadamy at Hoxton Old Street Tube, who is a certified full instructor under Dan Inosanto
Regards
Peter

Davio
01-26-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I later asked for San Shou, as I knew the nature of the sport would include hard sparring. I actually attended a shaolin temple thing at my university gym (UCL) yesterday. It seemed to have alot of forms, and no sparring and very little conditioning/training. I'm guessing they watered it down for that class. I know the instructor fights in Thai Boxing matches so I suspect he may know what he is doing, however my main problem with it was the forms. They seemed really stylised and not really applicable to "fighting" or sanshou. I 'm considering carrying on and passing their tests, then checking out their "sanshou preperation" classes.

I've yet to check out the other teachers.
"But I know just how dangerous the fighting skills of jim and paul are and how good they are at it. They don't play sport fighting"
They still spar hard though? I come from some ring sports background, and I believe sparring is very important, we're all human and without pressure testing, sometimes techniques won't come to us.

blackmantis
01-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Hey, you're at UCL. I'm at SOAS just round the corner!

Davio
01-26-2007, 02:17 AM
Hey man, I know very little about SOAS. Is that part of UCL?

CFT
01-26-2007, 03:20 AM
SOAS is one of the consituent federation colleges that form the University of London.

blackmantis
01-28-2007, 03:56 PM
SOAS has nothing to do with UCL. If you want to meet to train or talk about Kung Fu in the Bloomsbury area, let me know.

monkeyfoot
01-29-2007, 10:31 AM
hey people, I live in london (balham), I train qixing tanglang in stevenage though the levels not v high though coz most peeps are just hobbiests/weekenders.

If you want to hook up and talk kung fu, train or whatever then hit me up.

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyfoot7

craig