PDA

View Full Version : age

mambi
01-19-2007, 06:53 AM
trained 4 years Kempo last couple of months to Praying Mantis and at age 55(ok physically other than risky eye stuff) its hard to maintain focus on training at end of day. Up and running at work by 6 30 am, home by 4, stuff to do, sit for 1/2 hour then class form 6;30 730. Humbling at times.Dont want to give it up but at same time Begin to doubt Im being realistic about the road. Im sure this has come up on previous threads but cant seem to locate it. Always hear second or third hand stories about so and so knows a 60 year old sifu that can do this and that. Mostly doubt the veracity of those stories... Any old ****s out there ? Where have you gone Joe Di maggio?

Ray Pina
01-19-2007, 07:35 AM
My internal master, Master David Bond Chan, is very powerful. His technique makes him fast. His position doesn't make him have to move much.

You can do it.

I started when I was 4 and am starting to come into my own now at 32. I'm adding BJJ now and moving to a foreign land. Hoping I can find people there, sure I will, so I can continue my study. By the time I reach your age I should have my information, and will just focus on maintance... do more internal and roll friendly.

To start at that age.... not ideal. But if you feel it in you, why not? Only you will determine whether or not that you can or can't. Don't compare with others.

Ming Yue
01-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Mambi:

Are you training with Sifu Paolillo in Black Mountain?

There is some amazing mantis training to be had just down Hwy 70 from you, as well. Oso's school in Asheville; where I (an old lady) trained hard and happily for a couplefew years.

And on topic, I have certainly seen and known some old guys who could rip the skin clean off you without breaking a sweat. I think the idea that technique replaces power can be overstated, in that the power is often still there, but is not so visibly drawn upon. Second nature kind of stuff.

And yea, it can be done, but I think starting late is a hindrance. Starting at 50, your body isn't going to condition like it would have in your 20s. You'll just have to work harder than the whippersnappers. And probably hurt more, too. :)

Phuc Carem
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Try to stick to the 3-8's 8hrs of work, 8hs of play this includes your Kung Fu training, familey time etc, and most importantly your 8hrs of sleep so that you will be well rested and can focus/learn better, also focus on controling your breathing properly this will help as well. I wish you the best of luck.

bodhitree
01-19-2007, 09:02 AM
If you're moving to pittsburgh take up some internal arts. www.ycgf.org

mambi
01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
hits us all. Min yue. I met Paolillo once seems ok dedicated but he was too far away. went back to kempo.I train with Sifu Melton and Im quite happy(and challenged) there.Did I meet you at Black Mnt Gym a while back? B.T marked your web pg you suggested will go there 3rd day Im permanently in PItt (after Paroging a nite away) Ray : wherever you go ythe M.A , as I found when I went to Cuba a while back , connects with others on the same road in an amazing way ( hell!nothing you dont know already) . To whatever country you go. And breaking it into 8 hours Clicks.. sure sounds rational and realistic..at times the challenge of what Ive chosen at this age, its like not knowing when the fight is over. But I guess thats the whole point at this stage. attempting what appears to be impossible kind of knowing youll never do it but trying any way.. this is way to serious... Did you Know that Mary was the first woman in the Bible with PMS? kept riding Josephs ass.....( with respect towards the ladies)

Ming Yue
01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
The Gym at cheshire? Possibly -- I worked out there some. I'm Cynthia.

Asheville Martial Arts is where I trained as well. You're in good hands.

BoulderDawg
01-19-2007, 11:52 AM
The only thing about age that I see is that it makes us prone to such things as cancer and other diseases that are out of our control. Also it's harder to bounce back from injury.

Aside from that, if you take care of yourself and stay active there is no reason you can't go until you're 90....although at a little slower pace!:D

Golden Arms
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
If you already have some of the basics of fighting and self defense down, i would take up some tai chi, bagua or xingyi (should be one of those in your area somewhere). The practice is fulfilling cause you will be working largely on body mechanics, and the likely hood of you actually fighting is pretty remote for most people, especially as you get past 30, so it sort of ends up there anyways from what I have always been told. You can always find people to work contact stuff with, but the study of movement and looking inward is lifelong fascinating work. Its also never too late to start doing that.

mambi
01-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Just staying on the road thats for sure. Ive seen some old guys ,in the Alzheimer Unit I used to work at, get into it pretty tough... Unintentional but they could hurt you............................... Heard this one recently and been passing it along " Old age and treachery will win out over youth and vigor" Not sure who said it...or if they remember saying it.

mambi
01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Im Miguel Cynthia.. used to do kempo forms in the Racketball court. Dont do them any more. Guessing it might not be be good to do those and Gung Fu forms. Whats with that Ideas?

lunghushan
01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
trained 4 years Kempo last couple of months to Praying Mantis and at age 55(ok physically other than risky eye stuff) its hard to maintain focus on training at end of day. Up and running at work by 6 30 am, home by 4, stuff to do, sit for 1/2 hour then class form 6;30 730. Humbling at times.Dont want to give it up but at same time Begin to doubt Im being realistic about the road. Im sure this has come up on previous threads but cant seem to locate it. Always hear second or third hand stories about so and so knows a 60 year old sifu that can do this and that. Mostly doubt the veracity of those stories... Any old ****s out there ? Where have you gone Joe Di maggio?

Guess the obvious thing to say is don't burn yourself out. Sometimes lack of focus is due to blood sugar levels so make sure you get enough glucose and stuff.

I was wondering why the older people at work were always saying they were burnt out at the end of the day. Well they get up so fricking early in the morning. I tried it for a couple of months and I think getting up so early is a bad thing -- no wonder they're burned out.

mambi
01-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Well young person. Going to work at 630 requires one to get up at 5p Sure as heck I dont do it for my health..then Again if I want a roof and a meal...Heck when I was your age ,as a kid in Cuba, I had to walk to school 5 miles on the Sand by the ocean.. tough life it was... . Not to do kempo forms.. first time Ive brought that up though Ive been meaning to but it sounded like showing off.. Thanks .. I thought it might throw off what Im trying to learn in Mantis forms..Funny thing how when attempting the latter the former tends to surface in one way or another.. Ill have to feel my way out in Pittsburgh Il try BT s after all his resume of Bars was impressive

mambi
01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
PS L.S: you suggesting crispy creams before work out..?

lunghushan
01-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Well young person. Going to work at 630 requires one to get up at 5p Sure as heck I dont do it for my health..then Again if I want a roof and a meal...Heck when I was your age ,as a kid in Cuba, I had to walk to school 5 miles on the Sand by the ocean.. tough life it was... . Not to do kempo forms.. first time Ive brought that up though Ive been meaning to but it sounded like showing off.. Thanks .. I thought it might throw off what Im trying to learn in Mantis forms..Funny thing how when attempting the latter the former tends to surface in one way or another.. Ill have to feel my way out in Pittsburgh Il try BT s after all his resume of Bars was impressive

Yeah but why do you go to work at 6:30? Why not 9:00? I guess a lot of people think they're superman, but bottom line is you're just human. Whatever.

lunghushan
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
PS L.S: you suggesting crispy creams before work out..?

No, I mean, they invented Gatorade for a reason. :) If you have crispy cremes before your workout you'll just crash with low blood sugar after 1/2 hour or something.

mambi
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Go to work at 6 30 because thats what they tell me to do if I want to get paid. .Good part is off at 330.. ever hear of those burgers they make with donuts instead of buns? no Spit! your right. When I take gatoraid its much better.I ve been told by Sifu melton to go at my ownpace. Forget it sometimes and become frustrated.. Pride I guess,makes me reluctant to take a break when these young turks are still going. guess thats my own S--t, Guess I really do ok.. dont know too many 50 to 60 year olds that can kick my buttl

lunghushan
01-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Go to work at 6 30 because thats what they tell me to do if I want to get paid. .Good part is off at 330.. ever hear of those burgers they make with donuts instead of buns? no Spit! your right. When I take gatoraid its much better.I ve been told by Sifu melton to go at my ownpace. Forget it sometimes and become frustrated.. Pride I guess,makes me reluctant to take a break when these young turks are still going. guess thats my own S--t, Guess I really do ok.. dont know too many 50 to 60 year olds that can kick my buttl

Well when you're older you're slower but you also don't usually think you're invincible. A lot of those young turks as you put it will get injured from their training pushing it like they do.

I tried to keep up with younguns skiing for example, and bit it hard a few times so I don't try to do that anymore.

The Gatorade you want to do that when you're in your workout on a break when your blood sugar gets low and to help restore the electrolytes you sweat out.

mambi
01-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Gotta cool the ego down ..Cool

Oso
01-19-2007, 03:56 PM
wisdom comes with age. use it to accept your limitations and work within them. you're your own worst critic.

courage and heart will shine through as you continue to train as hard as you are able given your limitations.

last night was a good night. you weren't the only one breathing hard. relax and just train.

rogue
01-19-2007, 06:30 PM

I can see 50 rounding the corner, but I still have a couple of years before it hits. But things aren't what they used to be for me.

First of all for every 60 year old master still going strong there are plenty who were in the same class as him that aren't going that strong. We see the exceptions and think they're the rule.

I train because I enjoy it, but I listen to my body. If something keeps hurting I go easy and try to figure out what hurt me and why. As we get older we have to train smarter so we can keep on training tomorrow.

shabinko
01-21-2007, 08:32 AM
You are never too old to reap the benefits of kung fu training or any form of exercise for that matter. If your enjoying your training why stop? If your traing properly your only doing yourself some good and no bad that I can think of. So with that said as far as i can see there is only positives and bonuses to come out of training, regardless of age skill experience e.t.c. So yeah, fargin oath give it a go man

mambi
01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
A bit of whining is inevitable I guess.. as age catches up.. Too focused on the fact that it was me who was breathing heavy to see what goes around . Yet one of the short comings of previous place was that the work was to easy too frequently.. As for me I supposed I should have backed off when My brain disconected from my arm and legs Appreciate that. To know how to work with limitations age or whatever.. I like testing and being pushed . This stuff about adapting as time passes is the thing .. Like it too much to stop.. Always said they are gonna have to carry me out and when it happens I hope its in a place like where I be now..Part of the road I guess. Good to hear how older ****s think about this