PDA

View Full Version : Fighters Who Meditate

thumper
09-21-2001, 05:51 AM
I noticed in a book by B.K. Francis, a graph of how a fighter should alot his time. It gave 10%/15% time to meditating. Do you agree with this estimate?
I think it is low and it should be around 20%/25%.

"...known amongst hoes for the bang bang,
known amongst foes for flows without no talking orangutan,
only gin and tang guzzled out a rusty tin can,
me and this mic is like yin and yang..."

Repulsive Monkey
09-21-2001, 05:33 PM
You cannot think in terms of percentage!! Just do what you feel comfortable with. Aswell as this you should ask yourself what is the reasoning behand wanting to meditate. I do not think thet Mr Frantzis is tha Master that he likes to think he is, and I do not particularly agree with some of his ideas. Follow you own intuition or better still Find a Teaching Lama or Rinpoche and meditate under their tutlage.

thumper
09-22-2001, 05:06 AM
I think in terms of balance and that goes beyond comfort zones sometimes. My reason for meditating is to quiet and focus the mind. Tune out to tune in. This improves my fighting skill. Nothing else but this guy I have to whip in front of me exists in my world. I absorb his everything. Feel. Not give a second thought to how I might have just ate his cross or shin kick. I do this for as long as he is standing or until I can escape (cuz it's all about living to fight another day). Only a quiet mind will acheive this kind of oneness with the moment as it shifts and changes. That 10%/15% is for the birds.

Ish
09-23-2001, 01:12 PM
Nothing else but this guy I have to whip in front of me exists in my world.

What about his two mates slowly walking behind you to smash your head from behind.
I do agree with you that you need to swich off your thinking in a sense and just do what you have to but i would like to thingk i would still be aware of all my surroundings.

mer
09-23-2001, 02:11 PM
I am interestin in the comments about B.K. Francis - R.M indicated that he is "not the master he things he is".

I am relocating to the west coast in the next couple of months and was planning to join the B.K. Francis classes - what experiences do other people have about him & his classes?

thanks

SUGREF
09-23-2001, 02:19 PM
I think meditation is important before and after heavy training - to focus on being in the moment, and afterwards to remove any elements of aggression or tenseness which may cloud or block your stream of consciousness, or more importantly, your chi. I have done some of the 'whoop ass' meditation via Hsing I, but found it at times counter-productive. I dunno, I might have been doing it incorrectly. I think I work better with a clear mind which is focused on all that moves and does not move. Each to their own and all that....

thumper
09-24-2001, 02:52 AM
I should be aware of the 8 directions at all times. I shouldn't have neglected that point in my response.

wisdom mind
09-24-2001, 03:23 AM
i produce jungle and hip hop in nyc, hit me at unifury@hotmail.com if you are interested and want to know more

big tings a gwan while babylon a fallin'

burn the wikked