PDA

View Full Version : Ba gua walking

Anthroman
09-23-2001, 08:14 PM
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good tapes that cover ba gua walking, footwork, or kicks. Thanks alot.
Anthroman

Rockwood
09-23-2001, 10:30 PM
Luo De Xiu's Gao Style Baguazhang tapes 1 & 2 are the best available. Watching him in action will insipire you and give you a feel for the flavor of Bagua walking practice.

-Jess

Sam Wiley
09-23-2001, 11:14 PM
Erle Montaigue has several out. If you go to his website at www.taijiworld.com (http://www.taijiworld.com) you can probably find them in the Bagua listing.

Anthroman
09-24-2001, 06:31 AM
Rockwood,
Are these the two tapes your talkign about?
1. The Principles of Ba Gua Zhang Fighting
2. Gao Style Ba Gua Zhang
Thanks
Anthroman

dedalus
09-24-2001, 08:23 AM
What style are you interested in?

I think Erle Montaigue's bagua tapes are awesome (especially the max series), though they don't really cover kicks in detail. I've also seen some introductory videos on circlewalking and basic training techniques at Mike Patterson's site www.hsing-i.com (http://www.hsing-i.com)

I don't personally know much about Mike Patterson's bagua, however I've met a student of his down here whose mechanics of movement looked rather good. If you decide to have a look at those, perhaps you could post back with a "book report" :-)

Isn't Yin style supposed to have more emphasis on kicking and footwork?

Rockwood
09-24-2001, 07:06 PM
Yeah, those are the ones, I think the Gao style one has more about walking in specific. One thing he does is teach the walking in a progression. The first is to step in chicken step where the moving foot ends off the ground right next to the planted foot. Each step ends this way to work on balance and alignment. Next you end each step with extending the foot all the way out, pause then shift forward onto the front foot. The final step is to smooth it out and step continually, with no pause anywhere.
Bagua walking is lots of fun. Also frustrating at times, there is so much to work on in such a simple exercise.
-Jess

FallenSigil
09-25-2001, 10:43 PM
Yin style Ba Gua does put a lot of empisis on footwork, but theres not a lot of kicking, just lots of foot hooks and other nasty footwork

The way of eluding sword and breaking spear. The way of enduring.

Kevin Wallbridge
09-28-2001, 07:33 AM
Yin style? Do you mean Yin Fu style? My experience is that it is full of kicking. If you look at the 64 palm changes of Yin Fu Baguazhang every second set of eight is a kicking set, so thats 32 distinct kicking changes in the set.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

maoshan
10-01-2001, 07:13 AM
What Yin Fu Style are you talking about? In the two versions of Yin I've been learning
there are a lot of kicks. As Kevin said, In in our 64 palms there are 32 set dedicated too kicking.

Peace
maoshan

Pete
10-08-2013, 08:22 AM
12 years too late, maybe next time :p