PDA

View Full Version : My first BJJ tournament

Ray Pina
01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
No footage (should be getting some pro photos from the event) but I went 2-1.

First victory I caught the guy on his first shoot and put him in a standing guillotine... I think they said 40 seconds.

Second match went nearly the full 5 minutes. A lot of changing positions, etc, but finally caught him in a ... ****, forget the name, when you put your one arm around their head (from mount), grab the sleave of your other arm and shove that forearm into his throat and pinch it shut.

I had my last match about 3 minutes after this bought and gassed. The other guy secured mount on me at least twice, maybe three times. I gained position once or twice but he rolled out of the ring.

The buzzer sounded with me in side control with a kimura locked in but not doing enough, just transitioning to a knee to raise the elbow and was about to go for an armbar when he rolled out again and then the buzzer.

All and all I feel good about how I did because I missed the past three weeks of training due to surgery and I've only put in 4 months.

I have to find a place to roll and learn in PR. Love this style and I know enough to know how much more I need to learn.

PangQuan
01-24-2007, 12:39 PM
congrats man. sounds like you had fun.

Ray Pina
01-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Yea. I did. And coming off the fighting I did I really didn't have any nerves going in... I knew win or lose I wasn't going to get my head cracked open. Though one kid blew I a knee I think.

Also, I don't put pressure on myself with this stuff. It's new and I know I have so much to learn so its pure fun.

The one thing I'm going to miss is Renzo's... such a great place.

wiz cool c
01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Wow thats really good. I did Grapplers Quest in 2003. I waited 8 hours till I had a match. White belt Gi no weight class. I lost on points and went home.

tjmitch
01-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey Ray, I saw your first match and part of your second. Nice throw at the start of the second match. The whole event was so well run, and the atmosphere was great. None of the tournement nonsense of guys walking around eye balling each other, nobody talking **** to the refs. It seemed that every division started within a few minutes of the posted time, which never happens. Cant wait for the next one.

Ray Pina
01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Yea. It was great. And Renzo said they finished an hour early... what a relief. My first cage match in Sept. weight in was at like 2 ... I was supposed to fight at like 7 or 8.... but didn't fight until about midnight. That's just rediculous... spending 10 hours sitting around on a floor waiting.

I love jiu-jitsu now. So much fun. I view it as a branch off, a sub-division, a necessary side study of martial arts. I plan on doing it into old age.

tjmitch
01-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Oh, btw... its either a sleeve choke or an ezekiel choke, depending on the variation ( or who you ask )

Ray Pina
01-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Yea. Ezekiel is what they called it.... I used to go for those a lot. Might have to start adding that in. Now my big thing is going to side control (even giving up mount some times) to isolate their left arm, go to kamura.... but if that fails, take a knee towards their head and pull the arm up and lock it that way... and if that fails arm bar.

The thing is not forcing the armbar if its not there. That's my thing. Sometimes I'll force something just to do something because I hate stagnation. But then I get mad when I lose:) Then I take my time.

Great stuff.

tjmitch
01-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Not forcing it......ah yes. That is the key. I think once I stop trying to submit people and just try to get better at jiu jitsu all of the sudden the submissions are just there. Its amazing how when you get all of the detail right how easy it is. And how hard it is on you when the other guy gets all of the little details right, and there is nothing you can do. Well, except tap and start over.

warriormonk
01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
"The key to to getting submissions in jiujitsu is controlling the position. Once you have control of the position and your opponent is struggling to improve his position is when you will have the best chance for submission."

Saulo Ribeiro told me that when i took a private from him shortly after getting my blue belt. And if he said it in my eyes no truer word can be spoken about jiujitsu.

Ray Pina
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Well said... and proving to be very true.