PDA

View Full Version : What style is this?

The Xia
01-24-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nsUR6hz5Fo
:confused:

Ben Gash
01-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Well it says it's Hakka bird style....... (although I must say it looks more Fujian than Hakka)

SPJ
01-25-2007, 08:47 AM
according to the narator in the clip;

it is 300 years old.

it incorporated "southern" fist and mimicked Hua Mei bird or "paint the eyebrow" bird. a very small bird picking up food with its beak.

--

:)

firepalm
01-26-2007, 02:54 AM
I would agree with Ben it looks a lot like what little I have seen of Fujian White Crane. But then I am also no expert on Hakka styles.

SPJ
01-26-2007, 08:50 AM
I have some knowing about southern white crane but no expert.

there is the feeding crane or Si He.

I venture a guestimation.

may be Hua Mei bird style just with smaller movements from the crane style.

I am biting my tongue.

--

:D

qiphlow
01-26-2007, 09:10 AM
...xingyi performed by a guy with parkinsons who decided to smoke the crack rock that day.

Shaolinlueb
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
...xingyi performed by a guy with parkinsons who decided to smoke the crack rock that day.

thats what i was thinking, about the xingyi. it looked a little bit like it. looked a little bak mei looked a litle southern mantis. looks like a southern shorthand to me.

Fubokuen
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM

Pretty familiar with hakka kuen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Zrdz3BxVE), huh?
Lots of Hakka in Fukien and there IS some similiarities with the White Crane of the area, but all Hakka kuen share elements, use those types of hands, bridging techs, power generation and style of steps. I like just about all that I've seen and there's never a huge variance...

qiphlow
01-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Pretty familiar with hakka kuen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Zrdz3BxVE), huh?
Lots of Hakka in Fukien and there IS some similiarities with the White Crane of the area, but all Hakka kuen share elements, use those types of hands, bridging techs, power generation and style of steps. I like just about all that I've seen and there's never a huge variance...

that guy looked like he had a pretty good root--i liked it better that the first clip.

mantis108
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
As far as I am aware the form in question is called "Hua Mei Tiao Jia" (song bird jumps rack) some believe this is also the very same form as one of the highest form of the Dongjiang Longxing (East River Dragon style). It would appear not as rooted as the other clip here, the Hakka southern praying mantis, which btw the exponent displayed superb skills. The reason is that the intend of the forms is different. Hua Mei Tiao Jia is based on the fighting imagery of the bird, Hua Mei, which is a popular pet in the Guangdong province in the old day. The bird is popular not only because it has good tunes but also it can fight quite ferociously especially during the mating season. Bird fighting was a popular sport (gambling) that was found in restaurants in the region. As for why Hakka people relates with this bird, it is because Hakka people are famous for their mountain singsong and they are also fierce fighter - civil and martial as one. Hong Kong used to have this type of events but it was banned in the 50s I believe. Given the age of the stylist, he might not be as explosive as he would have been. If you have seen the birds fight, you will understand the essence of the form.

Mantis108